MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do you find best,coming from motocross background where wd40 works great as you apply when needed, looking for something that sticks and lasts

·
Registered
5,577 Posts

·
Administrator
19,553 Posts
I use BelRay Ultra Clean. Goes on as a white coating which looks good with my white Brutale. Very little fling and good protection.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
I would try this if I would live in Europe.
I spoke extensively with the owner of this company and I'm convinced of it.
Sadly not available in North America.

Attachments

·
King of Bling
9,817 Posts
Would like to try it but no one wants to send to NL... And cant find it here online...
Hey Erik..

Wurth in based in mainland Europe

Here are the stockists based in Netherlands..

A.J. Steenkist-Rooijmans B.V.
Hurksestraat 1 A
5652 AA Eindhoven
NETHERLANDS

Phone: +31 402 507 373
Fax: +31 402 507 363
E-mail: [email protected]
Internet: www.steenkist.com

Diffutherm B.V.
Smaragdweg 50
NL-5527 LB HAPERT
NETHERLANDS

Phone: +31 497 749 000
Fax: +31 497 749 080
Internet: www.diffutherm.nl

Van Roij Fasteners Europe B.V.
Jan Tooropstaat 16
5753 DK Deurne
NETHERLANDS

Phone: +31 493 315 885
Fax: +31 493 310 721
Internet: www.vrf.eu

Würth Elektronik Nederland B.V.
Het Sterrenbeeld 35
5215 MK'S-Hertogenbosch
NETHERLANDS

Phone: +31 736 291 570

Juristischer Sitz:
Het Sterrenbeeld 35
5215 MKL 's Hertogenbosch

P.O. Box 344
5201 AH 's-Hertogenbosch
NETHERLANDS

Phone: +41 449 139 913
Fax: +41 449 139 900
Internet: www.wuerthfinance.net

Würth Nederland B.V.
Het Sterrenbeeld 35
5215 MK 's-Hertogenbosch
Postbus 344
5201 AH 's-Hertogenbosch
NETHERLANDS

Phone: +31 736 291 911
Fax: +31 736 291 922
Internet: www.wurth.nl
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/WurthNederland

If you come up blank with the above suppliers, then email me and I'll send you a can mate.

J

·
Registered
966 Posts
I`ve been using repsol for quite a few years and get almost no" flinging " as long as the chain is clean when applied. It does gather grunge when touring like any lube seems to. Lately I have been just cleaning with kerosene and a soft toothbrush as before but applying light oil instead and though a bit flings off it wipes off easily and doesn't seem to attract dirt like sticky lubes do.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I was under the impression o-ring chains are sealed and don't need lubrication. And that chain wax is a protectant, not a lubricant. And that WD-40 causes O-rings to swell and fail. Am I mistaken?

I have never put anything on my Brutale and have only put one set of chain and sprockets on it in 28K miles with no problems. I keep it very clean and it's never been in rain.

I have had many ATV's over the years and have never put anything on those chains either. Mostly because I would rather replace them than have crap all over the swingarm. My current ride is a 2010 sport quad with the original chain and sprockets, ridden very hard. I was in northern Michigan all last week riding every day with no adjustments, no problems. Dumb luck?

Enlighten me.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Hey Erik..

Wurth in based in mainland Europe

Here are the stockists based in Netherlands..

LOL! Your google works better than mine ;)
The headoffice seems even to be I my home place. I did find that one but that is no retailer. Let me have a look at the other ones. thx :)

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
I was under the impression o-ring chains are sealed and don't need lubrication. And that chain wax is a protectant, not a lubricant. And that WD-40 causes O-rings to swell and fail. Am I mistaken?

I have never put anything on my Brutale and have only put one set of chain and sprockets on it in 28K miles with no problems. I keep it very clean and it's never been in rain.

I have had many ATV's over the years and have never put anything on those chains either. Mostly because I would rather replace them than have crap all over the swingarm. My current ride is a 2010 sport quad with the original chain and sprockets, ridden very hard. I was in northern Michigan all last week riding every day with no adjustments, no problems. Dumb luck?

Enlighten me.
You are not wrong in my eyes.
There is no movement / friction between a sprocket and a chain roller it is simply a matching fit.
The damage to sprockets and chains is caused by dirt.
The more fling resisting the greasy mess is the more dirt will be carried in the system by the enhanced stickyness.
Now You can say the new chain is wrapped in oil.
Sure because You don't want to buy a rusty chain.
Chain manufacturers sell You chain lube because of what?
Might to raise profit and sale numbers.
Motorcycle manufacturer recommend chain lube to sell more spare parts I guess.
So practically we need to protect the chain from corroding only.
And the best is to do it with something not oily / greasy in order to being not attractive to dirt and dust.

·
Super Moderator
22,111 Posts

This is your key. Clean and never wet.

However, there are many friction points along a chain...including where the chain rollers meet the sprockets in a turning system. Heat, born from friction, is the enemy. If you think it doesn't exist, then grab your chain with a bare hand immediately after a ride.

Dirt is the thing that chews chains up. Think roller carried aggressive sand paper.....

So, you need something that protects from corrosion (most of us get wet some time) and isn't sticky when applies so that dirt doesn't stick to it.

Right now I am experimenting with dry moly lubes that go on wet, thin, and clear while carrying molybdenum to the mating surfaces, who's carrier evaporates very quickly leaving a dry surface behind.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Chuck sure a chain gets warm, hot in comparison is a woman's arse.
So where is the friction on X-Ring chain?
Between the bushing and the pin?
No there is the grease package taking care of.
Between the links, the inner and the outer?
No there is grease held in place by the X-Ring.
The bushing is a matching fit to the sprocket and has no friction as long as the chain is new or not lengthened.
Once the grease package gets lost by damaged X-Rings for example, the chain starts to lengthen.
The distance between the links bushings/pins is getting larger than 5/8 and the chain is sitting farther and farther to the tips of the sprockets teeth.
Than Your sprockets suffer friction and wear.
Look at Your new sprockets after a few hundred miles.
You will not see wear marks on the anodizing of the sprocket.
Not in between the teeth nor on the side of the teeth.
The inner links are the parts of the chain which are sliding over the teeth and there is friction possible.
Dirt on the chain is of course the grinding enemy in the system.
Grease is the number one carrier of it.
Dry lube is of course a try to protect the chain from corroding, is adding some sort of sliding capability between sprocket side and inner link and might bringing some care for X-rings by not being sticky.
All under the prerequisite off a clean chain and sprocket.

·
Registered
14,420 Posts
chain lube?

once you realize that you can't internally lube an O-ring roller chain.....lubing it becomes somewhat irrelevant

I get 30,000mi out of Regina Extra chain on liter bikes

:drummer:

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Is a little lubrication between the side plates beneficial and also at sprocket teeth where the rollers touch ?

I did see a customised Harley once with a rear brake disc that was also a rear sprocket. Yes not belt drive. He said his chain lasted approx 6000 miles like that...ie no external lube.

joe

1 - 17 of 17 Posts