MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wow....first real ride yesterday with a group of folk in Maryland. Rode pretty hard....noticed today when I was cleaning her up the chain was very loose. Ended up looking at the service manual on this site for instructions to tighten the chain up. My questions is this normal? Will I have to perform this task much more frequently than say a jap bike?

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Depends on how you ride, but I find I adjust the chain no more often than any other bike I've owned. Except the Buells of course, No chain to worry about. :)

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
sometimes looking at the MV the chain can look like it's drooping even when it's in spec. follow the manual, or the little sticker on the chain guard. i fell for that "look" and tightened it...after a couple of rides i loosened it up. i think that little period is why i need a new rear sprocket now.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I used to lube with a good wax say Bel Ray or similar, but now I just keep to the 6mm adjustment below lower chain guard and after each ride rub chain down link by link and lube lightly...but of course we have no rain in Brisbane, so no corrosion hassels...

·
Registered
375 Posts
It is always better to have a loose chain than a tight chain. MV spec for the F4 is 6mm from the bottom of the lower chain gaurd to the middle of the chain. Usually chains will have tight spots in them. I adjust my chain so that the tightest spot is 6mm. In other areas the looser spots may be 7 or 7.5 mm...

Additionally, the MV spec for cleaning and lubing chains is a little extended for my taste. I usually clean the chain when needed or every 1200-1600 miles (every other lubing).

I lube every 600 - 800 miles on average.

At each lube, I check the chain tension.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts