MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if any of you creative types have installed downhill CF mtn bike bars on your Brutale?

I am thinking this would reduce vibs and weight. The usual vib cures always add weight.

I have applied a lot of force to my current mtn bike CF bars and my arm broke first so I think they are up to the task. :naughty:

Anyone done this yet?

Happy Thanksgiving,
Z

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Just wondering if any of you creative types have installed downhill CF mtn bike bars on your Brutale?

I am thinking this would reduce vibs and weight. The usual vib cures always add weight.

I have applied a lot of force to my current mtn bike CF bars and my arm broke first so I think they are up to the task. :naughty:

Anyone done this yet?

Happy Thanksgiving,
Z
You could be the first ?:popcorn:

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
Would be an interesting experiment. You have the bars? Is the bend suitable? Let us know how that works out Z-Man.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe the CF does not transmit vibs anything like aluminum because of all the fibers it is made of. Never tried it but will give it a shot since it is easy to do although the bars are not cheap. If it does not work, I can use them on the mtn bike I suppose.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Side benefit would be the heaters under the grips will not lose so much heat to the alum bars and can probably be left on low.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i looked into this while trying to find bars for mine. Mtb fat bars are 31.9mm if i remember. where as motorbike/motox fatbars are 29mm.
its a shame as mtb bars have some better bends and widths than mx bars.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I believe the CF does not transmit vibs anything like aluminum because of all the fibers it is made of. Never tried it but will give it a shot since it is easy to do although the bars are not cheap. If it does not work, I can use them on the mtn bike I suppose.
Why would it not transmit vibes? Isn't the C/F construction more rigid than aluminum?

I am by no means trying to discourage you, I am curious to see the results. Ignore me and carry on :)

Tree

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Redgoat, I have not measured yet so that may be a deal breaker. Tree, I am not an engineer but notice my mtn bike with cf bars doesn't feel as harsh as my others. So I wanted to try it out but may have to do too much modification to make it work. Anyone with CF background have expertise here?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Dude, by no means let me discourage you
Please keep us informed about C/F bars conversion and there feel
(most times it is non engineers that come up with the new innovations)

Tree

·
Registered
79 Posts
So I wanted to try it out but may have to do too much modification to make it work. Anyone with CF background have expertise here?
I have some - and to reenforce my comment above I think you're asking for trouble here. Mountain bike bars are not designed to be strong enough to handle the weight and forces associates with a street bike. What happens when one side of your bar breaks off as you come through a corner? CF is brittle and when it goes it's a sharp splintered crack, not a forgiving bend like metal.

Notwithstanding the issues with the clamping sections and locations being different than they were designed for, you'd then have the issue of the different diameter between the bar and the clamps. The only real way around this wold be to mill the clamps for the larger diameter (which is another safety issue).

If the vibrations are bad enough that you're desperate, there has to be a better approach. Assuming that no one makes proper motorcycle bars in CF, maybe you can find a set of anti-vibe clamps that fit your Brute. Something like these: http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=186&navTitle=Handlebars-Control&webCatId=12&keyword=vibration+reducing+handlebar+clamps&prodFamilyId=30592. Dirt bikers like Flexx Bars (http://www.fasstco.com/shop/flexx-handlebars-mx?product=flexx-handlebars-mx), and they also make these which might be worth looking into: http://www.fasstco.com/shop/anti-vibration-inserts?product=anti-vibration-inserts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts