MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my name is Darren and this is my first post. I have just bought a 2012 1090rr. My god they are a beautiful bike to look at. Not only the best looking naked by far but I think nicer than most fully faired sports bikes. A true work of art.
Just wondering if any one has removed the cat and still used the stock mufflers. Does it make much difference to the performance and the noise of the bike? Usually I hate stock pipes but the ones on the MV are actually very nice to look at. So I would be happy to leave them on if I can get a bit more exhaust note out of it by removing the cat. I don't want stupid loud just a bit more beef to the exhaust note.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Welcome to the forum and MV family Darren. That mod is one of the best you can do to improve looks even more, and reduce heat. It does cost a bit as you have to replace headers and mid-pipe. Don't let the others get you into putting a stubby pipe on, the original twin pipes are great.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
It would really be nice if we could do the decat without having to worry about the local police pulling us over for excess noise or illegal modifications...

·
Super Moderator
22,045 Posts
You can do the decat and not increase noise. Jus use the standard slip-ons.

·
Super Moderator
22,045 Posts
I'm just thinking outside the cat-box....

·
Registered
966 Posts
G`day Darren and welcome,
I removed the cat on my 05 750s and the exhaust now has more "snarl" to it without being much, if at all, louder. There is also more burble on down shifts and throttle overrun which is quite satisfying. An additional small benefit is weight saving and rebound adjuster accessability. On yours though it will require either replacing or cutting your headers. They do look better without that great can hanging underneath and catching road gravel and small birds (another story). Check the for sale section for cheaper decat pipes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am looking at cutting the standard headers just in front of the cat and getting some joiner pipes made up by a local guy who just does bike exhausts. I want to keep the original mufflers so the bike looks "standard" so I don't get hassled in theory. Not really chasing more performance as these bikes don't exactly need it. I will let you know how much the guy wants to do the job and hence whether I go through with it. I've come from a v-twin tuono with factory titanium race pipe and chipped ecu. Pretty hard noise to beat IMO. So I want my MV to sound as awesome as possible with stock mufflers for that engine configuration and to get as far away from the sound of a jap bike as possible.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi QldMV,i have and you do get a better note without it being too loud,the shorty muffler has quite a bark!,I noticed a cleaner throttle response and a bit more power, Evolution Bike has a great service and price,i bought my manifold 18mths ago when the exchange rate was better but they're still below a grand with great fit less weight and heat.Cheers Steve

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Hi Darren,
I've just purchased these ( http://www.mvagusta.it/en/special-parts/exhaust-system/brutale-1090/inox-manifolds-no-catalyzed-ecu/ ) for for my 1090, I'm also keeping the standard muffler. With any luck I'll get them installed this week, I'll be sure to post up some audio once it's all done.

James
Hi James,
How much did they cost you delivered to OZ if you don't mind me asking. There shouldn't be any issue legally up here anyway because from what I've been told by someone in the know is that there is no actual emission laws for bikes just noise restrictions.

·
Registered
405 Posts
With the CAT removed and retaining the stock silencers the bike isn't much louder, the main reason to remove the cat is get rid of heat in generates, the weight and of course it looks ugly.

I wouldn't spend money on the MV race ECU, just replace the headers and keep the Lambda sensor, the race ECU made mine run too rich.

·
Registered
602 Posts
My 13 1090RR also runs with the MV Corse set up.

As billywhizzz said - the Corse ECU is much too rich. When my bike was mapped on a dyno the guy asked me if the ECU was really for my motor :jsm: . He had to lean out 30 % at lower to mid revs and to enrichen in the upper revs.

So do not go for a Corse ECU. Unfortuately the MV Corse kit comes with it. So I'd buy tha ARROW headers kit. It is the same lay out.

I think the sound with the decatted headers is much more raspy without becoming much louder. But there is a noticable difference!

If you really want a loud bike - get the snorkels out of the airbox.

That's what I did and people in front of me stare when I go hard on the throttle :smoking:.

You will definetely gain some power - especially if you map your bike.

That is my dyno chart - 180 hp at the crank.

Jochen

·
Registered
53 Posts
i have decatted mine, with a arrow decat pipe. i had to cut the standard cat off the headers, then used this pipe, still retaining the OEM mufflers, its loud enough to turn heads when your up it, but tootling round its not much louder the OEM.

i also installed a BMC filter as well, the bike is quite a rocket ship.

is your local stoming ground the gold coast hinterland?

Im on the gold coast, and while i have a 910, your welcome to check mine out to see the difference it makes.

cheers.joe.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i have decatted mine, with a arrow decat pipe. i had to cut the standard cat off the headers, then used this pipe, still retaining the OEM mufflers, its loud enough to turn heads when your up it, but tootling round its not much louder the OEM.

i also installed a BMC filter as well, the bike is quite a rocket ship.

is your local stoming ground the gold coast hinterland?

Im on the gold coast, and while i have a 910, your welcome to check mine out to see the difference it makes.

cheers.joe.
Yeah I live on the Gold Coast. When I had the Aprilia I used to ride around Springbrook, Numinbah and Nth NSW. Love the Burringbah range too.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts