MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been shopping around for a cat by-pass pipe for my F4S and I was just curious with all the different brands and styles out there, is there any real justification for the ones that cost in excess of $600+ US over the ones that cost around half that amount? I know the pipe game all to well having owned several Ducatis (talk about pricey stuff!), with my most recent bike a triple nine sporting an almost $3K full Titanium Akra system, but to spend upwards and over $600 on a set of "tiny" MV by-pass pipes seems a little over the top IMO. Is it because of the Agusta's limited market stake? Can anyone throw in some pros and cons in using them (brand for brand, bang for buck)....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
mmm they are a bit expensive :laughing: I put the mid pipe and rg3 on the sound is great but the noise from the bike seems a bit quiet then one of my friends rode off down the street it was fantastic. I had a 749 with full termi and the noise did get to you somedays. I had to set the f4 up on a dyno the mix was way to lean and it ran a bit rough even with the new chip. Cost wise well mine were a present from the girlfriend so cost was rather cheap compared to the 749 :naughty:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,434 Posts
Its the exhaust collectors that make all the difference, the mid pipe mod to remove the converter will only have a asthetical difference, and even this change on its own, even with mapping will have no performance increase (none that you can use anyway) buy a cheap mid pipe and a set of RG3's.... :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,193 Posts
agusta01 said:
Its the exhaust collectors that make all the difference, the mid pipe mod to remove the converter will only have a asthetical difference, and even this change on its own, even with mapping will have no performance increase (none that you can use anyway) buy a cheap mid pipe and a set of RG3's.... :)
Thats about right in my opinion as well, however whichever pipe you buy just make sure they do go from 2 into 1, there's some out there that appear not to join into one pipe. I'll just add a good advantage of getting rid of the cat is it does also remove a lot of heat from the seat/silencer area and you right foot when stuck in traffic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
I know the 1000 has the cat inside the midpipe, do the early 750's (4 pipes at the engine into 2 pipes through the midpipe)also have a cat or some sort of restricter in the midpipe?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,193 Posts
fgmvf4s said:
I know the 1000 has the cat inside the midpipe, do the early 750's (4 pipes at the engine into 2 pipes through the midpipe)also have a cat or some sort of restricter in the midpipe?
Nah, nothing, early bikes had two pipes by the footrest, later, and Evo, SPR etc had one larger pipe, they do actually perform better in the midrange with the one single pipe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,560 Posts
The catalytic converter, I believe is ceramic material..... what about just belting a hole through it and removing it that way anyone...I'm on a budget?

Other forum members have said that removing the converter adds hp and improves the noise is this true also???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
mikef4uk said:
Nah, nothing, early bikes had two pipes by the footrest, later, and Evo, SPR etc had one larger pipe, they do actually perform better in the midrange with the one single pipe.
How early? Mine is 02, would that be before or after they put cats on?

I already have RG3s, but just the pipe. I've been thinking about getting PC3 and a tune with midpipes, but it sounds like midpipe might not make any diff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,049 Posts
Don't spend big money on a mid pipe, just get the best deal you can. It is better without it but not that much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
got mine from motocorse, with the yen rate at 115 to the dollar it came out to 547, its a very high quality titanium pipe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,448 Posts
I got a spare standard mid pipe (with cat) off the bay and am in the process of having the cat itself removed. :jsm: Still got that bulge in the pipe where the cat was, but it's more free flowing now and the pipe was much cheaper than any of the after market items I've seen so far! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,448 Posts
If you cut along the horizontal weld at the rear of the cat and also make two cuts in the end welds at 90 degrees you can 'peel' open the outer casing of the cat. The actual cat component is similar to ceramic and can literally be smashed with a hammer and chizel, the outer casing can then be reformed and re-welded so you have in effect a through pipe with a bulge. This sounds simple but the cat casing is very strong and unless you have good workshop facilities it's best left to a professional metalworker to do this for you. I suppose an alternative is just to cut out the cat section completely and refit an open section of pipe of the same diameter. Great care would have to be taken to make sure the fixing points are not altered. I must admit, I haven't done the job myself, I haven't got the facilities at home, I took the pipe to a friend who is a professional metalworker. He charged me £30, but he is a mate.

I must stress that this was done on a 'spare' mid pipe that I bought, I hate to think what the retail price is for a MV mid pipe with cat and it did seem a bit sacreligious to butcher a perfectly good item in this way, but it was a damn sight cheaper than buying an aftermarket pipe which seem to run out at around £250 - £300. More for Ti. BTW I hope to get the bike dyno'd next week and the PCIII fitted so I'll post some more details when I get the results.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,193 Posts
john said:
If you cut along the horizontal weld at the rear of the cat and also make two cuts in the end welds at 90 degrees you can 'peel' open the outer casing of the cat. The actual cat component is similar to ceramic and can literally be smashed with a hammer and chizel, the outer casing can then be reformed and re-welded so you have in effect a through pipe with a bulge. This sounds simple but the cat casing is very strong and unless you have good workshop facilities it's best left to a professional metalworker to do this for you. I suppose an alternative is just to cut out the cat section completely and refit an open section of pipe of the same diameter. Great care would have to be taken to make sure the fixing points are not altered. I must admit, I haven't done the job myself, I haven't got the facilities at home, I took the pipe to a friend who is a professional metalworker. He charged me £30, but he is a mate.

I must stress that this was done on a 'spare' mid pipe that I bought, I hate to think what the retail price is for a MV mid pipe with cat and it did seem a bit sacreligious to butcher a perfectly good item in this way, but it was a damn sight cheaper than buying an aftermarket pipe which seem to run out at around £250 - £300. More for Ti. BTW I hope to get the bike dyno'd next week and the PCIII fitted so I'll post some more details when I get the results.
My mate removed his by just chisseling it out a bit at a time, I know it's in a bend but he did manage it, it might sound obvious but the more you remove the easier it gets-so he said!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,448 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top