MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just browsing about and click on the MotoGP Legends button to see who was on there, and Casey Stoner?

Sure he was a good rider, but does he deserve to be grouped with the rest of these guys?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Casey Stoner won two world championships for two different manufacturers where as Kato, Gardner & Schwanz (?) have only one to there names. Stoner was also the only rider capable of performing on the Ducati (would have loved to have seen Troy Bayliss race the bike for more than just one race). In addition, where is Valentino?

Just started reading Casey's biography, Casey Stoner: pushing the limits, which is providing some interesting insights into both Casey and his racing. Well worth the read.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I had this very discussion on another forum when it was announced that Marco Simoncelli would be inducted into the Legends later this year.

There appears to be two two factors that qualify you as a motogp legend:
1. Winning a premier class title.
Or
2. Dying.

Obviously I was shoot down and criticised by Marco fans but my argument was that he nor Kato or some of the others achieved anything like the success of Max Biagi and yet he's not included? Which then turns the question to what then makes a legend?

I concluded that the whole thing is just like the Oscars, it's just an excuse for a party and a back slapping exercise in which everyone blows sunshine up each others bottoms!

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
Legend. Vague term.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Already?!

Just browsing about and click on the MotoGP Legends button to see who was on there, and Casey Stoner?
Sure he was a good rider, but does he deserve to be grouped with the rest of these guys?
Maybe a legend in his own mind ... ask me again in a decade.
Isn't there some sort of waiting period before getting inducted like other sports?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
hes not in the same league as hailwood , sheene ago, read surtees hartog ,williams ,hennen. i would rate Rocket Ron Haslam 50 times more than moaner
beng a legend is not how many titles it's how you rode what you did , personality
and stoner got 1 out of three .. he has the personality of and empty cardboard box , what he did for the sport = showed that pouty little sukky baby can get on a bike

·
Super Moderator
22,045 Posts
Stoner must be a legend....look how much interest he has generated in this thread.....

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
1 - 20 of 53 Posts