MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
King of Bling
9,829 Posts
Jorge

If it was my track bike and I had to choose between carbon and magnesium wheels, I'd go for magnesium ..

The reason I'd use magnesium wheels is because track bikes tend to go through more tyre changes than the average road bikes and carbon wheels can be prone to the risk of damage the more times they are subjected to new tyre changes..

·
Registered
819 Posts
I am close to finishing my racing F4Y10 .
The wheels... I have a question about it.
Do you use carbon (BTS) or magnesium ( Marchesini) wheels for "your track day or racing"...or forged aluminum is more secure.
The question is for tracl and racing...not for road.
Thanks.

www.mv-agusta.es using motorcycle app.

Mg.

The next question you need to figure out is whether you want to go with 16.5 or 17 inch rims.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Hi guys !
I can see people said more MG ,OK
My good, I didn't know that you change the size oem for track....and this why?

Not sure what you mean by "change the size oem for track", but the 16.5 inch tires use a different profile than the oem/17 inch rims. The 16.5 provide a better contact patch at lean angles so in essence provide more traction. Generally speaking the rubber compounds for the racing tires are better choices as well.

16.5 size rims might not be used as much in Australia but don't see an issue finding them in Europe and north America. And yes, one can switch between the 2 different sizes for track and street. Just be aware that whichever size one decides to go with you will have to have your suspension set up for that particular tire set. Any competent suspension company(usually a couple track side for the race weekends) can set up your bike for the tires one is running. It does make a great deal of difference to have a properly set up suspension for the tire/profile one is running.

Something to consider is what JDS mentions. If you plan on selling the rims on shortly you'll want to consider that 16.5 inch race rims may not sell as quickly as 17 inch rims.....mostly because few potential buyers have any idea how good the race rims and tires choices are.

Caveat: not sure how it works over in Europe but in north America one would need to either buy track side or make contact with a tire distributor to buy the 16.5 inch tires as they aren't an over the counter item at most places that sell tires. Buying directly from a distributor is not a big deal, or any more trouble than buying a set of tires over the internet.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Go mag. I had bst's on my mv. When at the track the dick changing the rear tyre cracked the rim :wtf:

·
Registered
475 Posts
go forged aluminum. If you are just getting started racing, the mg wheels aren't going to make a lick of difference for a long long time.

Just go race. The stock wheels will be fine.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
go forged aluminum. If you are just getting started racing, the mg wheels aren't going to make a lick of difference for a long long time.

Just go race. The stock wheels will be fine.
Stock wheels work fine,is true, but I don't want be changing wheel for tra k and road all day.

·
Registered
819 Posts
The argument that the carbon rim is damaged when changing the wheels is very logical.
And I haven't intention of changing from 17 to 16.5, honestly here in Spain I have not ever heard that discussion.
Pirelli slicks for me and any problem.
SC1 120/70 R17
SC2 200/60 R17.

You'll need to compare the height of the 190/70/17 that is probably on the rear now to the 200/60/17 you'll be putting on. If there is a height difference you'll want to make a suspension adjustment for the change in geometry. If the bike has never been properly set up yet then its a moot point.....just set it up once you get the slicks under it.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
A decent rider on a proper setup can rider faster than a good rider on a poor setup. I would put the money into a suspension, a good set of Al wheels and setup and get some race time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
kinda new to MV stuff but I've been in the racing game for many many yrs .... forged magnesium is what ur after if you would compare to carbons price .... I've got a set of each for my 2 stroke Honda RS250 and the mags are lighter .... granted its some grams each,mostly the rear.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I would agree with everyone, and go for the Mags if you want to lay out the cash. The weight reduction is ridiculous!

I have the BST's on my MV (never tracked as it is too expensive and too time consuming to fix), and albeit they are light and very pretty, track side tire change crews are not what most people would call careful. I don't let just anyone touch my BST's. I love them too much... (pics in my profile)

If it were me, I would get a couple of good sets of Aluminum wheels for the track so you can have a few sets of tires to choose from. Nothing like getting to a track day and having the rain start coming down, and be stuck with slicks or DOT's....

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
I would agree with everyone, and go for the Mags if you want to lay out the cash. The weight reduction is ridiculous!

I have the BST's on my MV (never tracked as it is too expensive and too time consuming to fix), and albeit they are light and very pretty, track side tire change crews are not what most people would call careful. I don't let just anyone touch my BST's. I love them too much... (pics in my profile)

If it were me, I would get a couple of good sets of Aluminum wheels for the track so you can have a few sets of tires to choose from. Nothing like getting to a track day and having the rain start coming down, and be stuck with slicks or DOT's....
Great to see you back on the forum Robert, it's been a while.:)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Great to see you back on the forum Robert, it's been a while.:)

Thanks Donsy for the warm welcome... It is nice to be back.

I was just too busy the last few years with life, wife, kids and my company, so riding took a back seat. Hopefully I can become a bit more active / contributing member.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts