MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many of us in this forum I have blinged up my Bruty with a little carbon at anything but a little price. I was at bike night when a guy rolled up on a carboned out Duc so I naturally rolled over to check it out and upon closer examination the carbon fiber looked funky and dull. He said it happened in a little over a year. Man it looked really nasty, I would paint right over it. Any of you guys had this happen to any if your stuff, and how long did it take? is there some UV coating we can hit it with? h He also said he got the carbon at his dealership and commutes on the bike a lot. Looked bad.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Some carbon will do that. The runners and airbox on my 996 don't have any shine to 'em. I don't think they had much clear coat if any originally. Decent amount of clear will prevent that. My painter will put up to 7 coats of clear on carbon sometimes! It's very porous so the amout that the manufacturer puts is rarely enough!

Also, Ducati's a popular bike, so all kinds of aftermaket carbon's out there for it, including crappy kind!

It shouldn't happen with any MV ones(ShiftTech, eMoto, Plastic Bike, QB Carbon should all be fine... hopefully)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wonder if I should be proactive and take this stuff to the paint shop? its shift tech and he preaches quality but man that Duc was looking bad.

·
Registered
796 Posts
the carbon doesn't fade.the resin and the clear coat do. :( but my favourite carbon is the one in natural finish,without extra coating

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
He may be washing it with something too harsh or trying to protect it with something that actually does damage. And yes UV is bad. Some brands use polyester while others use epoxy.

·
Banned
48 Posts
The real stuff like on a F1 car is epoxy but most aftermarket bike bits on the market today and polyester and have loads of resin on them thats why they are not as light and dont fit that well.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BTW my stuff is Shift Tech, not the nasty Duc. He said he got his from the dealership... not sure what that means but I will ask him Wednesday if he goes to bike night.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Ducati Performance carbon is notorious for have very little clear coat! The dealership I used to work at had our painter apply lots of clear to carbon bits. The owner of the dealership had a full carbon 1026, everything extra clear-coated with up to 7 coats! Finished product looked fantastic! But it apparently will add a little weight... I dunno.

The Ducati Performance carbon is good quality, just not enough clear to protect it.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
That happens no matter what you do. Even with 7 coats of UV clear. It's one reason I would much much much rather go Ti bling, but alas, there isn't Ti bling out there. Kinda funny too considering it's be cheaper to manufacture, especially considering the process involved with making a carbon bit, and the rising cost of it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have an Arrow carbon system on my 748 that is going on 8 years old. It still looks as good as new :smoking: . On the other hand, I have seen some carbon pipes (D&D) go bad in a year.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have the CF from Shift-Tech and I can say it is very good stuff (German products if I recall, Lieb CF). UV is the main culprit. As long as you keep it polished with some layer of protection and away from constant direct sunlight, then you should be OK.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
sherpa23 said:
If you put 303 protectant on your clear carbon, it won't fade.
If thats the same as we get in OZ,it is silicone and will build up over time.It turns yellow with age.
Possibly making the carbon look worse.
There a thread somewhere regarding silicone sprays.I've stopped using it on my bike.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ozboy said:
If thats the same as we get in OZ,it is silicone and will build up over time.It turns yellow with age.
Possibly making the carbon look worse.
There a thread somewhere regarding silicone sprays.I've stopped using it on my bike.
IT's actually not silicone but a UV spray protectant. I've used on all of my carbon fiber bikes for years and it's worked perfectly.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts