MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the acceptable level of "imperfections" in carbon fiber pieces? Should you be able to see any light through the piece when held to a light source? Is it wrong to have an area where the threads look squished together/foggy? Should the edges have any tiny chips? Can someone school me on Carbon Fiber 101?

·
Registered
51 Posts
On my aprilia, some of the carbon fiber has some "chips" in it that are white. This is only on the side deflectors, the rest of it is pretty much perfect.... I took a quick snapshot of it for you:

·
Registered
503 Posts
Carbon fiber composites are made by impregnating a carbon fiber fabric (either a uni-directional tow or weave) with resin. This is similar to a fiberglass component.

There should not be any voids (i.e. air bubbles) in the composite or inclusions (foreign matter). I'm not sure what your descriptions actually mean without seeing them, but unless you have voids in the resin it is probably a matter of cosmetics.

·
Registered
338 Posts
According to my dealer, MV got enough complaints regarding the quality of their CF , (including me) and recently changed their source. After examining a 'new and improved' version rear hugger at the dealer I'd say MUCH better.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
The process used for the MVSP carbon is to use pre pregnated carbon fibre (the resin is already in with the carbon weave and is activated by high temp and pressure) they use this process as it is much lighter and stronger than wet lay, and yes on some pieces if you hold them up to the light you can see some light coming through, have a look here www.cmcomposit.it then under processing, these are the people who make the carbon for MV and Ducati :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts