MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im posting this for a friend that owns a f4 also he wants to know if anyone had put a carbon fiber gas tank and air box on their bike for the street and if they had any leakage problems because i want to shed some weight of the bike. Thanks guys

Sam

·
King of Bling
9,809 Posts
Hi Sam

I've had problems in the past with Ducati carbon fuel tanks leaking (only very slightly).. I've since been told by a Main dealer that other Ducati's with the same modification have suffered with fuel leaks, and it is a common problem.. My Ducati tank was made by MS Productions for Ducati Performance, so you would have thought there shouldn’t have been a problem

My F4 has a genuine MV Special parts carbon tank and air-box currently fitted, but I haven't had sufficient road miles under my belt to advise whether there is going to be any future issues with this mod..

I’m sure there are several members on the forum that have carried out this modification.. Hopefully they will be along shortly to help out and in a better position to advise you further . Good Luck with the F4 Plan Diet ..

PS: Oro and Veltro owners are best qualified to answer your question

·
Registered
419 Posts
Hello gents.
Did anyone consider the fact that in a case of an accident the Carbon fuel tank might break?
I would replace the standard airbox, but I wouldn't trust a carbon fuel tank. My 5cents

·
Registered
168 Posts
CF is stronger than steel weight for weight not weaker and if it is correctly manufactured is also seamless why would it leak or be less safe in a crash?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'd recommend a Ti exhuast system + lighter wheels, if he doesn't already have them. Good way to lose 7 or 8 kg (15-18 lbs)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Someone makes an alu tank that will save some weight, available in 1.2mm and 1.5mm thicknesses. http://www.moto-works.jp/beater/index.html#a1

I used to use a PRC 1005L fuel tank sealant for my 996/R1/RC-51 carbon fibre tanks (I like the ones from eti-fuelcel). You need to prep and clean the inside before coating (lucky there's a big hole access in the MV and 996once the fuel pump is removed). Lasted me for years. It's the same coating used for UAV fuel tanks. http://www.silmid.com/products/index.asp?product=SEAA01

·
The Machinist
2,448 Posts
Someone makes an alu tank that will save some weight, available in 1.2mm and 1.5mm thicknesses. http://www.moto-works.jp/beater/index.html#a1

I used to use a PRC 1005L fuel tank sealant for my 996/R1/RC-51 carbon fibre tanks (I like the ones from eti-fuelcel). You need to prep and clean the inside before coating (lucky there's a big hole access in the MV and 996once the fuel pump is removed). Lasted me for years. It's the same coating used for UAV fuel tanks. http://www.silmid.com/products/index.asp?product=SEAA01

Wow that thing is sick!:ahhh:

What are the the weight differences?

:popcorn:

·
Registered
447 Posts
what kind of weight do you shed by replacing
stock tank/airbox with the carbon fiber ones
please dont flame me but i still have my ZX10
and when i roll it around in the garage it feels
like a bicycle and the mv feels like a tank when
i roll it around in the garage -

steve

·
Registered
5,193 Posts

steve
About 3kg's, then around 500/600 gramm (1 Lb ish) for every panel you change, so a complete fairing/tank/airbox/seat you would be saving around 6/7kg's, not a great deal really, and to save that much you also need to make sure it's top quality prepreg/autoclaved carbon,

I would imagine about £3000:jsm:

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
i roll it around in the garage
-

steve
Well there's your problem, don't roll it around in the garage, ride it!
BTW, still waiting on pics of the TZ...:stickpoke

·
Registered
447 Posts
RobP -
some reason i knew i would be told to ride the
thing, dont be rollin it around the garage - point
well taken !!

the TZ body work is at paint shop - ill post some
photos as soon as i get it back

steve

·
Registered
159 Posts

steve

according to emoto.....cf tank + airbox will save 7-8 lbs.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I chatted at length with one of my suppliers today about carbon tanks and all the leaks he's seen. His biggest gripe was the outgassing of the resin from contact with gas. The recent winner of the Laguna Seca superbike category concorso had his carbon tank repainted 4 times in as many years due to outgassing. Now he uses the tank just for show. That kind of defeats the intent of a carbon tank. I was going to start purchasing the Fuel Cell brand tanks as they claim their tanks don't leak. It's a tempting option, but I think I'd spring for wiser returns for my $$$ - like lightweight cartridge fork internals, new wheels, or more track schools.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Fuel Cel with PRC 1005L slosh coat sealant, no outgassing, same tank last 6 years on an R1. That combo works for me. Not sure if fuel cel without sealant would be OK. Have a MS carbon Ducati Corse carbon tank with the sealant and the current owner is still happy after8 years.

Decided to try out the alu beater tanks for a change.....

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks for all the posts guys my friend is over seas and has no internet currently where he is at but he should be able to log on tomorrow to see these posts i appreciate it again thanks

Sam

1 - 19 of 19 Posts