MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I’ve been searching all over the place for a corse carbon fiber fairing to replace the one that was on the left side of my bike (see pics). My son took my bike without asking and low-sided it upon hitting some gravel. I was devastated. As much with my son as with the motorcycle. I had a good friend from high school who I knew was into body work (has been for at least 3 decades). Long story short, he came through BIG TIME! I had so many people pass up on me, saying this panel couldn’t be fixed. I am ECSTATIC at how it turned out! I also replaced the phonic cover and bolts, re-painted the front fairing, replaced the mirror, and sanded down the air intake tube to remove the scratches. Really happy with how it all came together.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Looks pretty amazing. Was there fiber or just surface clear coat damage? Some of the scratches look deep along with structural fiber damage. It makes me wonder if he added another layer of fiber. Interesting. Do you have a pic of the other side, the inside?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe he just sanded the clear coat down and resprayed. I’ll send pics of the back when I get it in my possession.

·
Vendor
5,281 Posts
Great job,you need to have a little chat to your son and hide the keys in future.;)

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
come on... his son has great taste like his dad. No 'real' harm this time around. What a thrill it must have been and then... pure horror. He needs his own bike that's for sure. Brave too!

·
Super Moderator
22,087 Posts
I believe he just sanded the clear coat down and resprayed. I’ll send pics of the back when I get it in my possession.
That's the way I have repaired similar damage. Sometimes it takes several attempts to get it all looking good again. CF, when sanded, produces a powder that is damaging to the lungs...so a Do-it-yourselfer needs the proper PPE (respirator) for lung protection from the CF and thepaint.

Clean, sand, clearcoat, sand, clear coat, sand clea coat....etc until you get it done.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's the way I have repaired similar damage. Sometimes it takes several attempts to get it all looking good again. CF, when sanded, produces a powder that is damaging to the lungs...so a Do-it-yourselfer needs the proper PPE (respirator)
Pretty sure he was good 😂

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great job,you need to have a little chat to your son and hide the keys in future.;)
done and done ✅

He’s 22 btw. It’s a little beyond irresponsible. If I’d have done this when I was 22 . . . well I wouldn’t have 🤦‍♂️. I was busy being married and on my 3rd child. Anyways, he’s since moved out and hopefully making a living doing something meaningful. This was just the start of a run of very stupid decisions which cost me dearly. It both breaks my heart and infuriates me.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
come on... his son has great taste like his dad. No 'real' harm this time around. What a thrill it must have been and then... pure horror. He needs his own bike that's for sure. Brave too!
I have no words.

·
Administrator
19,525 Posts
A good body shop can do amazing things !!! Helps to find one that is interested enough to try. Good results !!!

Kids today..... what can you say. He will grow up and one day he will realize how dumb he used to be, I did !!

·
Super Moderator
22,087 Posts
done and done ✅

He’s 22 btw. It’s a little beyond irresponsible. If I’d have done this when I was 22 . . . well I wouldn’t have 🤦‍♂️. I was busy being married and on my 3rd child. Anyways, he’s since moved out and hopefully making a living doing something meaningful. This was just the start of a run of very stupid decisions which cost me dearly. It both breaks my heart and infuriates me.
I have no words.

I am so with you on this subject. Without getting into it,there are kids who simply have no ability to determine how their actions will affect their future. I have oneo of those sons and he is now 27 with a very bleak outlook on life. As parents, we can help to a point.....

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A good body shop can do amazing things !!! Helps to find one that is interested enough to try. Good results
The ONLY reason I could get him to do this was because of the friendship I have with him. He was still extremely hesitant to even try. It seems if they can’t get it perfect, they’re not willing to put their name on it. I get that, but I wasn’t looking for perfection. I think he’s only charging me $250 to boot! Crazy. I’m sure there’s some “friend pricing” in that number.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hello

I have some OEM carbon fiber air tubes with the damage on the top. I definitely don't want to attempt myself fixing. Because we all know how are it is to find a set of these. Does anyone recommend anyone that can possibly fix this. I will get pictures this weekend because I am still working.

Sorry for adding on to this thread

·
Registered
301 Posts
I do a lot of Carbon fibre work, both prototyping and building special one off parts + "copying" existing parts -- If this part had been an older (10 yr +) Ducati CF part it would have been toast .. Most of the older CF parts from Ducati were "straight out of the autoclave" parts - no clear coat, or only a very thin satin matte coat, all in the name of saving weight. The MV parts usually have generous clear coating, which is what saved this part, I'm sure. The real skill in restoring such a part is sanding it down with extreme care, so you do not get into the actual CF weave, that will be visible, even after a perfect new clear coat. It is obvious that this guy really put som work into the tricky part of this repair job. I have restored a lot of Ducati Carbon, by doing very carefull wet sanding, and then clearcoating. A lot of the older Duc parts have been badly damaged by UV, because of the lack of protective clear coat.
On my own F4 SR the seat unit is an ORO original part, the paint on those were very thin, and the inevitable shrinking of the epoxy in the CF weave now shows up in the surface .. Close up, you can see the underlying CF weave pattern through the paint .... I'm thinking "Time to give this part a new coat of paint" :cool: also to get rid of 15 years of scratches ..

with a lot of care and sheets of wet-sanding paper you can do a very good job of repairing scratched CF parts, then get the part clearcoated by someone who knows his job!

CF parts like the air tubes are way stronger than they need to be, and the clear coat will get into any hairline cracks in the fibre itself, which will help to "heal" the weave quite a bit. Just remember to "wash out" the part with acetone before sending it off to be clearcoated. For non structural CF parts this is perfectly fine. I have repaired the outer edge rims of BST CF wheels using vacuum infused resin to fill in the cracks, and then repairing the surface with special UV resistent coating Epoxy. I have managed to remove such dents to the point where the owner could not find the actual spot after the repair :cool:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts