MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how would you compare the two look/quality wise? as far as price MV is at least twice as expensive.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Excellent question. I've got some MVSP stuff and I would like to buy a bunch of the Emoto stuff. Anybody have both? :stickpoke

·
Registered
456 Posts
I can let you guys know when I get home from work tonight. I ordered the tail section and the instrument cluster back from eMoto. Should be there tonight. As far as what I've heard......eMoto has great quality stuff. Is it the quality of the Corse stuff, can't answer that because I don't own any of that. A little pricey for my pockets.

·
Registered
375 Posts
The MV SP carbon is really really good. Better than any other carbon I have ever seen.

One of the reasons is becuase MV SP uses full sheets of carbon for their pieces so there are no seams anywhere. Hence, this costs more money for them.

They also lay the sheets of carbon up real straight and not off center like some others.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
awiner said:
The MV SP carbon is really really good. Better than any other carbon I have ever seen.

One of the reasons is becuase MV SP uses full sheets of carbon for their pieces so there are no seams anywhere. Hence, this costs more money for them.

They also lay the sheets of carbon up real straight and not off center like some others.
I have emoto keyguard and front guard...and have seen a lot of MVSP carbon.
The MV stuff maybe twice as much, but it's nowhere near twice as good....emoto's carbon is excellent quality and great value.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
does the CF quality have any relationship to how prone it is to fading from sunlight? it's very sunny here. :naughty:

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Mika said:
does the CF quality have any relationship to how prone it is to fading from sunlight? it's very sunny here. :naughty:
Wish I had that problem right now!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I have both....if we leave the value for money point to one side, as there is no argument here at all, as the MV stuff is just too pricey to compare.
But quality is another issue all together.
Quality wise at 2x the price the MV stuff is just top shelf, and leave you in no doubt that you have the best carbon, best fit and best visuals you can fit to your bike. But the price is a bit silly...

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
agusta01 said:
I have both....if we leave the value for money point to one side, as there is no argument here at all, as the MV stuff is just too pricey to compare.
But quality is another issue all together.
Quality wise at 2x the price the MV stuff is just top shelf, and leave you in no doubt that you have the best carbon, best fit and best visuals you can fit to your bike. But the price is a bit silly...

So are you saying, Graham that whilst IYO MV stuff is the best, Emoto is the better value for money? I suppose it comes down to how much of a perfectionist you are and/or how fat your wallet is! :naughty:

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
John,
Lets just say that the 'non MV sp' carbon I have purchased stands out as inferior to the gen stuff. Is it noticible to the passer by...? no of course not, but I know! And maybe this is just because I do want the best.
This is such a subjective issue, and I don't for a second want to question quality and value of products from Emoto and many others, as without them we would have no choice, so they all play a significant role in our passion, and for all intent are really good products.
But the original question posed was the MV sp or Emoto as a quality comparo....and really there is no debate, MV sp wins by a country mile...as you already have made the point so well....its just a question of if you are prepared to pay for it!! :)

·
Registered
375 Posts
It is true that there are a few different ways to "Lay Up" Carbon Fiber and different resins that could be used.

Only time will tell if other brands of carbon will have UV problems or not.

Like Agusta01 said, there is no better quality Carbon that MV SP. I have seen a lot of pieces and while I don't feel some parts are worth twice the price MV SP wants, some definitely are if you want the best.

I can tell a MV SP piece and a non MV SP pieces from 6 feet normally due to the layout, clarity and weave.

I would use MV SP carbon for the big in your eye parts and save some money an use alternate companies Carbon for other small 'out of the limelight' parts like the heel guards, chain guards, etc.

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
I find this an interesting thread, as, being a bicycle mechanic, when I consider the "quality" of carbon fiber, I am more concerned with structural issues, such as strength, vibration absorbtion and fatigue life.
Also, many of you may not be aware, but Italy has no regulations when it comes to marking products "Made in Italy", and a recent international investigation (published in B.R.A.I.N, a bicycle industry newsletter), there are no carbon fiber manufacturers in Italy; Almost all 'Italian' carbon parts are made in Taiwan, who incedentally, due to large investments, makes the best cf in the world.
Also, I don't know if it applies to motorcycles (but I'm curious because of my Brutale), but it was discovered that a certain Italian shock company that begins with M makes all their mountain bike forks in Taiwan as well.
In any case, some cf looks better, and some resins will be more UV resistant, but for now, almost all cf is overpriced IMO. :later:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yeah, I have to agree that all of the CF is overpriced. The parts most people purchase for their MV's arent structural, it's just window dressing.....Seriously, can anybody truly justify the weight savings for the chain gaurd in CF as opposed to plastic? If you are at that level of weight reduction, you are probably considering just removing the unit altogether. Most (All?) of the Cf is made in Tiawan? Fine. I dont really give a damn. But I would like a piece to look good and stand up to the use it was intended for. And that means not cracking and aging from UV in a year.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Your right. Weight savings is not the point to Carbon in my opinion. It is all for looks. I must say however, the OE plastic with the "Faux" carbon look is sort of tacky. Once you replace it with Carbon Fiber it looks sooooooooooo much nicer.

Other than the looks, it is useless :)

The only part that was not only for looks was the MV SP rear hugger I put on. It keeps the under tail cleaner and helps catch some of the road debris from flinging up and dinging the exhaust.

Additionally, the heel guards in Carbon Fiber hold up much better than the aluminum units. The aluminum OE units on mine started to get marred from my race boots.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have the same hugger for the same reason...but it does look cool as hell! :king:

The OE plastic is a disgrace. Honestly, even cheap bikes have better looking fake CF parts.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Mv Corse Carbon

I've had some bad experiences with certain suppliers of carbon bits in the past. When I bought my F4 1000 a few months ago, I knew I wasn't going to compromise the bike with crappy quality parts so I checked the quality of the MV Corse carbon bits and was amazed at how absolutley perfectly they are made! As someone else mentioned on this thread, they are laid in whole sheets with NO SEAMS which makes all the difference from a visual standpoint. The intake runners and mirror post mounts are pure artwork as is the front fender. The finish is top-notch as well. Yes, they are more money but to me it was worth it. Each part has the MV Corse logo with a serial/part number tag gel coated on it. I bought the full kit so the bike would have a finished look right away versus piecing them on here and there. I suppose having the factory kit might be more desireable and possibly add to the collectability/desireability status of the bike down the road. Either way, I am extremely happy with the MV Corse parts and would definitely recommend them.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
fazer6 said:
I find this an interesting thread, as, being a bicycle mechanic, when I consider the "quality" of carbon fiber, I am more concerned with structural issues, such as strength, vibration absorbtion and fatigue life.
Also, many of you may not be aware, but Italy has no regulations when it comes to marking products "Made in Italy", and a recent international investigation (published in B.R.A.I.N, a bicycle industry newsletter), there are no carbon fiber manufacturers in Italy; Almost all 'Italian' carbon parts are made in Taiwan, who incedentally, due to large investments, makes the best cf in the world.
Also, I don't know if it applies to motorcycles (but I'm curious because of my Brutale), but it was discovered that a certain Italian shock company that begins with M makes all their mountain bike forks in Taiwan as well.
In any case, some cf looks better, and some resins will be more UV resistant, but for now, almost all cf is overpriced IMO. :later:

Hi Fazer, I am personally aware of a carbon manufacturer in Italy (Vignola) who are well equipped with autoclaves. Was this report perhaps on bicycle parts only?

There is also a pretty big coachbuilt industry for racing parts that would have to be considered manufactured parts - in Italy.

Was the report possibly specific to some particular type or style of carbon manufacturing. I think the Boeing/Airbus production facilities outside of Taiwan might argue with your quality statement :)

·
Registered
878 Posts
Even with the bicycle industry, Colnago C40's were considered the state of the art carbon bicycles and as quoted by cycling magazines as: "The Only Carbon Bicycle", when the Taiwan manufacturers were producing carbon Giant bikes that were falling apart at every other races. One of our local teams (which also races nationally) was riding Giants; their carbon forks were breaking up and causing crashes left and right (I personally saw a few of them being carried away in ambulances), while there was not a single case of failure with Colnagos. I think Taiwanies have come a long way, but only the cheaper (lower end) Italian bikes are made in Taiwan, only for market competition with mass produced cheap bikes on the market.... :conveyer:

·
Registered
878 Posts
JamesC said:
Hopefully we will hear more on this report than just an old forum discussion from weight weenies :)
I see and hear this kinds of propaganda reports all the time. It's a very effective way of toppling those who are on the top...! People who are under a budget need this kinds of approval to justify their purchases... :later: ... which is fine with me, as long as it doesn't result in the extinction of those who actually know what they are doing at the cost of mass produced cheap products... :conveyer:

It's like the wine industry, how they always say how a certain wine has won so many competitions...? But what they don't tell you is what caliber of a competion it was entered in and which vinyards saw it worthy to enter???? :eek:nthecan:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts