MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a real difference between the two,ie 15W/50 Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic vs 15W/50 Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic 4T,same question applies to 10W/60.:confused:
Many thanks in advance
David

·
Registered
530 Posts
The car oil has friction modifiers that are not good for the friction plates on the bike.
(I answered first! I feel smart!!)

Tree

·
Old Wing Nut
22,680 Posts
Motorcycle specific oil has additives for shear resistance and stability that are missing in automotive oils. This is because motorcycle oils typically lubricate the transmission as well as the engine. Transmissions are very hard on the oil.
The exceptions are bikes like Harley's and older British bikes where the engine and transmission use different oils. For that matter, some bikes used gear oil in the transmission, a motor oil in the engine and a lighter motor oil in the primary drive case. Modern oils are much better than what we used in the 60s....still, a motorcycle specific oil is a better choice for your motorcycle.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Motorcycle specific oil has additives for shear resistance and stability that are missing in automotive oils. This is because motorcycle oils typically lubricate the transmission as well as the engine. Transmissions are very hard on the oil.
The exceptions are bikes like Harley's and older British bikes where the engine and transmission use different oils. For that matter, some bikes used gear oil in the transmission, a motor oil in the engine and a lighter motor oil in the primary drive case. Modern oils are much better than what we used in the 60s....still, a motorcycle specific oil is a better choice for your motorcycle.
Makes sense,thanks

The car oil has friction modifiers that are not good for the friction plates on the bike.
(I answered first! I feel smart!!)

Tree
Sounds smart too,thanks Tree

1 - 4 of 4 Posts