MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning,

I'm having trouble loosening the rear sets bolts on my SPR. I've tried a heat gun so far. No luck. suggestions?

Thanks,

·
Old Wing Nut
22,192 Posts
Give them a sharp rap with a hammer, or use a hand held impact driver (air gun may strip out the hex). Try Kroil penetrating lube. There is a LocTite aerosol product that "shock freezes" the bolt to help break it loose. You can get it at Home Depot.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Good advice above. I used a heat gun but for a long time on the bolt heads to break down the red loctite. Red is permanent and that is what I found on my rearset bolts.

·
Registered
14,741 Posts
Wtf?

who LocTites those bolts???????

:popcorn:

·
Old Wing Nut
22,192 Posts

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Mad ,using LocTite on everything,seen guys use it on bolts that are moulded in plastic ,then they just keep on turning around and around.WTF

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, so far I've tried heat gun, 1200W for 10min. bolt is burning hot. no luck.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Wish I could help you. I used Kroil as per someone's recommendation here and used a long hollow tube on the allen key for leverage, together with the heat. The one in the toolkit helps but I used one 3x as long and had a friend put pressure at 90 degrees. If you can get one bolt off, spin the rearset up or down and it will loosen the other one. Good luck.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No, such luck. I tried a 200ft-lb manual impact driver, no movement. I tried the driver on the other bolts and it works fine.
I tried a 15in breaker bar with a hex bit, nothing either.

I'm worried about striping the bolt so I stopped.

I'm going to take it to the dealer to have the boys look at it.

I'm thinking about replacing the whole sub frame. Any idea how much that would cost? =|

·
Registered
248 Posts
Get a bigger breaker bar, or just extend the one you have with a longer pipe, or just use an air impact wrench. If you round it, you can always drill the head off it.

If you are prepared to go as far as replacing the sub frame what have you got to lose?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts