MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok - so I think I want to get some frame protectors but I'm a bit confused about getting the right thing - some say that you need to get the ones that screw into a bolt that then fits into the 'frame space' others like ones that screw into the engine mounts? any thoughts? any experience?
next question - how do you all feel about axel protectors? front and rear, do you guys think they are a good idea? or do they just look dumb? real or fake?

any thoughts or experience would be helpful - anybody lowsided a Brutale yet? I kinda hope not but the info would be useful to find which bits are subject to impact.

Attachments

·
Registered
304 Posts
it's a bike, it has 2 wheels. sooner or later it will fall, unfortunatly.

having frame sliders will save some expensive repairs for sure.

I lowsided my R6 on the track last year, and frame slider took all the damage.

I consider this #1 upgrade, but my dealer did not have them in stock, so I have to order them (after they fix my damn bike)

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have ordered the "Oggy Knobs"/frame protectors as they are called over here. They will be put on my bike before it leaves the store. You can only do so much though, if we put too much stuff on the bike to protect it the chances of it falling over will increase due to the added weight. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have heard of some frame protectors twisting the frame in a crash and causing more damage. Any way I agree that they are a good idea my questions concern how do different kinds mount and which ones to buy - and how do people feel about axle protection?

·
Registered
246 Posts
I would go for small frame sliders.....inorder not to distroy the design. The big black ones you posted are a bit to big and dominat for my taste.......at least for normal street riding. If you go to the track a lot you might think of the bigger ones...

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Embarassingly, I just dropped my Brute for the first time today. Moving it out of my Baxley chock in the garage, and I was on the side-stand side, and I tripped, and it fell to the right :mad: Arrrrgh!!!
Luckily, though, I have frame sliders, and to my disbelief, the only damage is the rear brake lever peg snapped.
The frame slider is scuffed, but it absolutely saved my bike!

·
Registered
104 Posts
quacker998 said:
that would be axle and these pics are better....
also two frame sliders each side? - necessary or no?
I low sided at 50mph and had only the upper (fwd) RG protectors, the "big" black ones. Bike slid for 75' or so. Half the plastic slider was ground away but the tank was spared as well as header pipes, engine case, etc. The only thing that hit further back was the brake pedal and the passenger peg bracket which protected the exhausts. I have since installed the rear frame protectors which would have prevented "any" damage whatsoever. They may not look all that great but they look a hell of alot better than a crashed brutale. I don't think the spindle or fork protectors would add any additional protection as these parts were not an issue.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah ha!! do you have double sliders fazer6? what make etc please tell all - I almost dropped my dr650 this afternoon my boot got locked on a bungee strap - I went ass over tit and the bike landed on top of me still it's only 320lbs......

be careful out there the18th August has some wierd planatary alignments that may cause chaos and crashes - not that I believe in astrology or anything.

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
quacker998 said:
Ah ha!! do you have double sliders fazer6? what make etc please tell all - I almost dropped my dr650 this afternoon my boot got locked on a bungee strap - I went ass over tit and the bike landed on top of me still it's only 320lbs......

be careful out there the18th August has some wierd planatary alignments that may cause chaos and crashes - not that I believe in astrology or anything.
Mine are LSL from SpeiglerUSA. They bolt directly to the engine, as I had not heard of this particular issue with MV's (stripping out the block, that is).
In a slide it may prove to be an issue, however today, they more than paid for themselves!

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
fazer6 said:
Embarassingly, I just dropped my Brute for the first time today. Moving it out of my Baxley chock in the garage, and I was on the side-stand side, and I tripped, and it fell to the right :mad: Arrrrgh!!!
Luckily, though, I have frame sliders, and to my disbelief, the only damage is the rear brake lever peg snapped.
i'm sorry that happened.... i've almost dropped a couple of my bmws taking them off their center stand

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
fazer6 said:
please don't feel embarassed, we all have drop bikes, I nearly dropped my Senna a few days ago backing out of my garage because of the 20 percent grade of the road up to my garage, the steep down slope of the driveway, and the 1.5 inches higher seat of the MV compared to my R6... thank god I saved it... I have not idea how I saved it, I think it was pure will power? because after the bike was knocked down the 1st day I just refused to let it be on its side again.

I wish I had an extra lever to send to you so you can get back on the road... good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I'm usually ALL FOR crash protection. All of my bikes had every slider available.

But with this bike...it's a bit different. Honestly, I think they're moot and kinda a waste.

The parts to replace on this bike will almost definitly total it out. Even with sliders, all it takes is a busted rim, scratched swingarm and a tank, and right there, labor plus cost of parts totals it out. Not to mention, if the frame even gets the paint knicked...automatic total. Frame compromise is what the insurance companies call it. Regardless of how slight the damage. If the paint is marred, it's considered toast as there's no way to be sure of the integrity...

How am I sure on this? My buddy had a Monster, with a 25MPH lowside. All the damage was, was a bar-end slider, exhaust, mirror, clutch lever, SLIGHT rash on the fork lower (I'm talkin SUPER MINOR, basicly, the paint was rubbed off showing bare metal), and a dented/rashed tank. They totalled out the bike on 6 things...and all the things were easily sourcable and very minor. All that slider money was money down the drain...

So do I think it's worth it? Probably not. The tank is a given...but if the forks or swingarm are even touched...goodbye. And if you have a wreck to where you NEED sliders, chances are, the bike is gonna be totalled anyhow. Jap bikes, you can damage everything and still not total it out, so they're worth having on a bike like that...but a Brutale, a waste IMO.

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
Wow,nice pile of bricks, Ben!!!!!!!
Amazing location and view.....hmmmm.....I miss L.A.....
Thanks... it is a great house for us since we bought the vacant lot and had it designed and built, the process nearly destroyed my marriage and killed me, but now that we are in(since 12/04), it was almost worth it...

the garage/driveway slope is pretty extreme, it barely conform to the building code... it's surface like this that make us drop our bike... I was already extra careful but still I nearly dropped it.

·
Registered
512 Posts
odonata said:
Thanks... it is a great house for us since we bought the vacant lot and had it designed and built, the process nearly destroyed my marriage and killed me, but now that we are in(since 12/04), it was almost worth it...

the garage/driveway slope is pretty extreme, it barely conform to the building code... it's surface like this that make us drop our bike... I was already extra careful but still I nearly dropped it.
So is this where the wife, kids and me will be staying when we come over to visit?? ;)

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
odonata said:
please don't feel embarassed, we all have drop bikes, I nearly dropped my Senna a few days ago backing out of my garage because of the 20 percent grade of the road up to my garage, the steep down slope of the driveway, and the 1.5 inches higher seat of the MV compared to my R6... thank god I saved it... I have not idea how I saved it, I think it was pure will power? because after the bike was knocked down the 1st day I just refused to let it be on its side again.

I wish I had an extra lever to send to you so you can get back on the road... good luck.
Thanks!
I'm still riding it, everyone knows the rear brake is just for decoration anyway :toothless , but I know there are people out there with stock parts, who just don't want to give them up, but I ordered a new one, but if i could get someone's they're not using, I'll send them the new one when it comes in!

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
oicdn said:
I'm usually ALL FOR crash protection. All of my bikes had every slider available.

But with this bike...it's a bit different. Honestly, I think they're moot and kinda a waste.

The parts to replace on this bike will almost definitly total it out. Even with sliders, all it takes is a busted rim, scratched swingarm and a tank, and right there, labor plus cost of parts totals it out. Not to mention, if the frame even gets the paint knicked...automatic total. Frame compromise is what the insurance companies call it. Regardless of how slight the damage. If the paint is marred, it's considered toast as there's no way to be sure of the integrity...

How am I sure on this? My buddy had a Monster, with a 25MPH lowside. All the damage was, was a bar-end slider, exhaust, mirror, clutch lever, SLIGHT rash on the fork lower (I'm talkin SUPER MINOR, basicly, the paint was rubbed off showing bare metal), and a dented/rashed tank. They totalled out the bike on 6 things...and all the things were easily sourcable and very minor. All that slider money was money down the drain...

So do I think it's worth it? Probably not. The tank is a given...but if the forks or swingarm are even touched...goodbye. And if you have a wreck to where you NEED sliders, chances are, the bike is gonna be totalled anyhow. Jap bikes, you can damage everything and still not total it out, so they're worth having on a bike like that...but a Brutale, a waste IMO.
Honestly, I was tepid about putting sliders on the Brute too (esp. after I learned that the slider bolt can strip the engine mount :jsm: ), but I decided to put them on anyway for exactly what happened to me yesterday, a tip over, and man am I glad I did--Much more than paid for itself just in the one fall :heart:

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
^^ Yeah, they do work out for a tip over, and help out alot, but otherwise, I just don't think they're worth it. But like you said, had you not had them, coulda been a worse scenario. Mine tipped over (remember the whole bike was on, and it tipped over in the garage?) and luckily, all that happenned was a slightly scratched tank and a broken clutch lever...

It's one of those thing to me, where, I wouldn't get them for the Brute unless they were severely discounted (like perhaps an eBay auction, or used but in perfect condition) or they were a gift...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts