MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On my way home from a short ride yesterday, the bike lost power bogging down to a halt. I was able to restart it but when I attempted to rev the engine, it would not rev consistently almost like it was starving for fuel. At this point, I turned the motor off let it sit for a minute then restarted it, she started right up but didn't settle into its normal idle and would not rev normally. When I tried to ride it home, it couldn't muster enough power so I just decided to cut the motor and walk it home. The bike is a early release 2000 F4 750 with only 2900 miles which I just purchased and took delivery of 2 days ago. BTW, I rode the bike home 30 miles without problem the day before from the shipping depot. Can someone shed some light?

·
Administrator
19,521 Posts
Too many variables, not enough info......but my first guess is you have fouled plugs.

At any rate, more diagnosis needed. Pull the plugs, and while you have the tank off have a look at the internal hoses and filter.

And while you have the plugs out do a compression and leak down test to confirm it is not mechanical and to give yourself a base line for future reference.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
With so few miles it's probably been sat for long periods of time with little or no fuel in it. since it ran ok for a little while first, here's what I'd suggest you look at:

1) Fuel filter is possibly gummed up, having collected all the bits that had settled in the bottom of the tank.

2) Fuel lines cracked/split/popped off (inside the tank.)

Si

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies gentleman, if it sat for a long time, which I believe it did, possibly 2 years, is it possible the injectors are clogged? Is the gas filter within the tank or is it external, if my memory serves me, I believe it's in the tank.

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
The fuel filter is inside the tank.

For myself I would give the bike a full service including air, oil and fuel filters , fuel lines Plugs, coolant, brake and clutch fluid etc as per manual. Use this as a starting point to assess any other issues.
Other wise you're whizzing into the wind ; )

Joe

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Mais, I am doing the same tear down of Cindy's New-To-Her EVO 3 750. I'd also recommend refurb of the rear hub... I have a set of berings here if you want to play garage rat some day.

If it sat, the n replace interior hoses and do the can-ectomy.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Chuck, what's a can-ectomy? Is that anything like a Pulpectomy?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Even if not the cause, I would change the fuel lines and filter.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's a good one Carl, but I've always fancied myself a pitcher

1 - 11 of 11 Posts