MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
IGNORE: Problem solved! Can someone help with a Kryptonite New York Disc Lock?

Hi all,

I've been given one of these disc locks, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to get the key into it without demolishing part of the lock.

In the picture below, it looks as though the black piece needs to slide to the right so that it can be lifted over the yellow tongue. However, it seems to be held in place by tamperproof screws.

Does anyone know how I can move this so I can start using the darn thing? :)

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
822 Posts
I wish I could help, all i know it that they had a recall on all thier locks a few months ago as people were picking the barrell lock with ball point pens.

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks anyway, but my wife just walked up and had it open in the blink of an eye. As she said: "You have 4 degrees, but sometimes you're just dumb." Painful, but true! :)

I also looked all of those problems up, and this one has the new super-duper cylinder barrel lock - or something like that. It apparently overcomes all of those problems. At the end of the day, it's only a deterrent anyway. Locks only stop honest people. Mind you, no psychologist (like me) will ever be able to steal it!! :)

·
Registered
822 Posts
I couldnt agree more, there have been countless times when I was at the parts counter and a customer asked me, "will it really stop somone from stealing it?".....Of course not, but it will slow them down and might help you sleep better at night.

I, for one, have always been a big believer in full coverage insurance.

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some Guy said:
I couldnt agree more, there have been countless times when I was at the parts counter and a customer asked me, "will it really stop somone from stealing it?".....Of course not, but it will slow them down and might help you sleep better at night.

I, for one, have always been a big believer in full coverage insurance.
Yep - I've managed to get Agreed Value insurance for mine, including guaranteed replacement in the first 2 years. Ah - the advantages of being old(er)! :)

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I'll change my nick to Forrest Gump...

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Funny, yes you just move the yellow tab.
My Dad always said locks aren't to keep out theives, they're to keep your neighbor honest.

The new Kryptonite locks use a pin tumbler, rather than the barrel type that can be foiled by bics, but I had a bike Stolen that had that exact lock on it, connecting a NY chain; The cop said they used liquid nitrogen, carry it in a small canister, they can break the lock and ride off as fast as you can unlock it with the key, and no one around is the wiser.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
fazer6 said:
Funny, yes you just move the yellow tab.
My Dad always said locks aren't to keep out theives, they're to keep your neighbor honest.

The new Kryptonite locks use a pin tumbler, rather than the barrel type that can be foiled by bics, but I had a bike Stolen that had that exact lock on it, connecting a NY chain; The cop said they used liquid nitrogen, carry it in a small canister, they can break the lock and ride off as fast as you can unlock it with the key, and no one around is the wiser.
Sheesh - if they're that keen they can have it.

I used to work in the police department, and I know a lot of cops who don't bother locking their cars. They certainly don't keep anything vaulable in them, but they'd rather prospective thieves just open the door to find that out rather than smash the glass. When it comes to someone stealing it (even though alarm systems are compulsory on every vehicle in this state), they know that locking the doors won't stop them.

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
spalding12 said:
i don't think that will play too well in PERTH :)
Oh, I don't know. One of the favourite local saying when someone stuffs up is "Run Forrest, run!" :)

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts