MV Agusta Forum banner

Camshaft 2017 F4

4K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  mrflex 
#1 ·
I dropped off my 2017 F4RR to MV authorized dealer (Monkeymoto) in Denton TX yesterday. I live in Kansas so it took me over 8 hrs to get to the Monkeymoto. I was hoping to get some simple repairs (originally was for 7500-mile maintenance) but was much more, so I had to leave the bike at the shop and return back home the next day. Sadly, I was notified that my intake cam is damaged and in need of replacement. According to the tech, the new part will cost $1725. The Cam shows back-ordered, they have contacted the MV Agusta and waiting on an ETA for parts needs to be shipped, I am assuming from the MV factory in Italy??? I have received an estimated cost amount of $3200 (see attached bill) to get the damaged cam to be fixed/replace with the new one. Also, I was told the valve needs to be adjusted. At this point, not sure what would cost to get the bike to run properly.

They seemed to be genuine. According to them, they have not begun the diagnostics. I was told that "They start the 7500-mile service with the valve adjustment because the engine has to be completely cool. Then will proceed with diagnoses of your other issues".

My question to you guys, anyone has a replacement part (cam for 2012+) that I could buy, or can it be salvageable instead of buying a new part? Also, quote I received from Monkeymoto, the cost to fix the damaged cam is reasonable.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
First....is valve inspection required at 7500 miles?? I thought it was much longer.
Second...valve adjustment is part of replacing a cam, should not be any additional labor.
Third...I would be talking to MV about this camshaft...that wear should NOT have occurred in such a short time. If it is only one lobe, or only one camshaft, then it its obvious the factory had a defective part and they should offer you some "goodwill" toward the repair, even if out of warranty.

By the way...the labor to adjust a valve that is out of spec is the exact same labor time as replacing a cam. You have to remove the cam to change any shims.
So if their 7500 mile service charge includes valve adjustment it includes camshaft R&R.

I think 8 hours is exorbitant labor time for a valve adjustment...which is what this is..

Reactions: R1andrew
#3 ·
Hi

This type of wear appears on MV camshafts and buckets from time to time. It looks like a coating has flaked off because the underlying metal was not properly cleaned before coating. The inlet cam on my 2013 F4RR was replaced under warranty a few years ago now and others have cropped up on the forum. You should push for a goodwill warranty claim. Often the initial view of dealers is leave it and keep an eye on it particularly when there is a warranty claim looming.

Valve clearance check interval is 7500 miles/12,000km.

The quoted camshaft price seems close to the Euro1091 price on Evolutionbike.it so no point in procuring the parts yourself. Is the bucket marked? You should also replace at least the bucket under the damaged lobe. A lot of people subscribe to the new cams/new buckets rule, me included. Noel would have said reuse the gaskets and o-rings with some silicone.

Are you saying that there will be a charge in addition to the quoted 8 hours (for service and cam replacement) for setting any valve clearances that need adjusting (there are sure to be some if all)? Or is the "8 hours all up" including setting valve clearances? The former doesn't seen unreasonable, the later feels like good value. Any quoted service price will usually include checking valve clearances only, any adjustment required would be an extra charge @ time and materials.

On your suspension issue, this might be something to look at. I had an issue with an indicator not working. To cut a long story short, I found the connector in the plug to the flasher unit which fed the problem indicator (separate flasher unit pin for each indicator) was not properly formed. Looking at the plug carefully the problem connector was bigger than the others so wouldn't be able to form a good connection. I was able to tighten with a jewelers screwdriver so it formed a better connection. Problem solved. It might be worth a close look at the plug to the suspension ECU.

HTH

Tony

#4 ·
I have a 2017 F4RR and had the inlet cam shaft replaced due to discolouration. This was discovered at the 7500 mile service with the bike having covered 7100 miles at the time. The chain tensioner was also replaced along with a tappet. I’m very fortunate to have Bennetts in Barnsley as my nearest dealership, they supplied the bike new and have completed all the services. Due to their excellent relationship with MV a claim was made based on a manufacturing fault and the parts were supplied free of charge. The total cost of the parts would have been £1400. As esq’z me states no additional labour charge was required and it was a goodwill gesture from the factory as my bike is out of warranty. I appreciate how frustrating it is to get parts and a level service that you would expect from a premium brand in the US.
On the estimate you posted it states exhaust cam rather than inlet cam, although they are the same price, €1100.

#5 ·
Thank you all you guys for the great information. You guys are the best! I will contact the monkeymoto and see if they could request from the MV to push for a goodwill warranty claim. I have owned many bikes, mostly Italian bikes, this is by far the most expensive repair cost and occurred on such low mileage bike. As I was told from the monkeymoto, they have not started any maintenance check-up due to damage on the cam. I was told by monkeymoto, Cam needs to be repair first before they could begin any maintenance checkup. I will ask the repair shop, since I was not told or given clarification from the shop if there will be any additional charge for the valve adjustment or will be covered altogether.

#6 ·
Hello guys and gals,

I am trying to track the previous owner of my 2017 F4RR (black and grey) to gather up the service records. My shop where I dropped off the bike contacted the MV and MV wants the service records on my bike. I might be able to fix it under a goodwill warranty if I could provide them the service records. At this point, I am not able to provide them the records, since I purchased the bike used. I am trying to track the seller, and I have called several MV dealers nearby OH (since I purchased the bike from the state of Cincinnati OH). Those MV dealers nearby OH cannot track any service records under the vin#. At the moment, the only way that I can get the service record is to locate the shop where it got serviced previously.
Anyone has seen this bike nearby Cincinnati OH, know of the owner? The bike has Bodis exhaust and aftermarket ECU, aftermarket red shorty levers, and the color of the bike is black and grey color (see attached photos). Other than these upgrades all original, Vin# ZCGNCFTW5HV007528.

Attachments

#7 ·
How many services could it have had in such short mileage? Have you called MV yourself? Would be worth a shot.

#13 ·
Thanks Ed!
So hear me out forum members. I didn’t purchased the bike new but for those who purchased new MV’s, spending anywhere from 20 to $30,000 dollars on their new bikes (mine cost me $21k for shipping n sales tax). The schedule maintenance shows, first check at 600 mile and 3700 miles for simple maintenance checks, given only 2 year warranty at new. At 7500 miles, recommended a valve check (clearly stated as check n not replace any damage cam parts). So my question is, we should automatically assume the bike is unreliable, at 3700 miles, we should pay extra money and force mechanic to check the valves, and look for damaged camshafts or any non schedule maintenance parts to ensure bike is not damaged and in working order. Why?? Some of us own multiple bikes, do not use MV as daily commuter, by the time warranty expires some of us only put few thousand miles. At 7500 miles, we should not be seeing these type of damage on our bikes. I heard, some reports of blown gasket, flaking cam, damage cams and leaking radiator. I have been riding over 30 years, and this is my second MV I have owned since I started riding at age 18. I can tell you that I did not have a pleasant memory with my first MV, compared to other bikes, MV was by far the most in and out of service shop, way more than other Italian motorcycles. Knowing this, I was saying to myself, after 15 years, being 2nd gen, I said to myself, MV must have sort out these type of issues by now. I love my MV but for me and for those soon to be new MV owners, be aware n check your valves and cams before your warranty expires. It’s costly repairs if MV won’t cover under warranty.

#14 ·
Check this out, it's been happening for years, some people just ignore it.

Reactions: silentservice703
#15 ·
His looks much uglier than the flaking we have seen in the past...look at the photo he posted. Looks almost roughly ground down. Nasty.

Reactions: fasduc
#17 ·
@mrflex I don't think your single lobe worn is indicative of a widespread problem with MV...that is why I think you should call MV USA and discuss.
I had a similar experience with a Honda Accord, where one cam lobe wore out at over 80k miles and 5 years. There was absolutely no reason for it as services had been done by the book by the dealer. And only one lobe on one cam...all others were just fine.
Honda assisted with the cost of repairs, even though warranty had expired long before.

Reactions: silentservice703
#19 ·
I replaced my intake camshaft back in October on my 12,000km service. Typical flaking and not as bad as yours. I purchased the part from Evolution Bike and was then reimbursed by dealer. Import costs for them drive the prices here in Canada way up. For example I also had to replace the fuel tank which they accidentally damaged and the cost from dealer was 50% more than me buying from Evolution Bike. Luckily when I bought the bike in 2016 I also purchased an extended warranty because at the time I didn’t know if MV would even be around to honour the warranty.

#20 ·
I have talked to MV Agusta USA rep person. He called me and he seemed very nice. I am trying to trace the previous owner/service shop to track down the service records. It's not fair that I have to pay for the damaged part since the bike is pretty new with very low mileage. Only one cam is damaged, which means that manufacturing used the faulty part. The scheduled maintenance for 7500 is for check valves, adjust if need it and not replacing damaged cam. The flacking cam might be normal but I would recommend all MV owners to check their valve at a 3500-mile check-up even not necessarily and payout of own packet.

#21 ·
Hi folks,

Same thing happening to my 2016 F3 800. Shoot me I forgot but I think I got under 8k miles on it. Only 1 lobe and 1 bucket have a significant wear. I'm debating what to do, leave it as is or ... change it. It's on an intake as well as the previous users noted hmmm

Attachments

#23 ·
Updates on my bike…, I was billed $3297 and I had to pay the entire amount. The bike has only 8K, MV would not cover under the goodwill warranty due to having multiple owners and I was not able to approve previous service work. Total $3297, $1750 for new cam plus other parts and the rest amount was for8 hours labor. The Moto-monkey charge me $600 for 4 hours of labor for installing the cam/valve adjustment and another 4 hrs for the 8k maintenance service (total labor $1200 = 8 hrs labor x $150 per hour). The bad news is that Moto-Monkey did not fix the bike correctly and still showing SCU fault code. When I got home, I rode the bike. As soon as I got on a highway, a malfunction fault code popped up on the dashboard screen and when I stopped, it changed to SCU fault code just like before. In May, when I dropped off my bike at the Moto-Monkey, I explained to them about the SCU code, it’s the main reason I took the bike to the MV authorized shop. Also, as they were waiting for the parts to arrive, I have called multiple times to remind them to sort out the SCU fault code, reminded them again when I received a call that the bike is ready for pick-up. I asked them if the SCU code was fixed and they said “YES”, they have cleared the code, multiple people drove the bike and the code did not show up on the screen. How can this be, when I rode the bike, it popped up instantly. I know, I should not trust them, and I should have ridden the bike to ensure it's fixed. But what can I do, they would say the same thing as what they told me on the phone. It’s not them, it’s the wiring, it’s the faulty power commander wiring. I had to leave the bike again for another two months and pay several thousand dollars for them to bill me. What is got to do with the SCU code and the power commander?

I will not go to this place ever again and you shouldn’t either. I was pretty upset as my bike had the same issue after they had my bike for two months, charge me $600 for maintenance service, and the person I talked to on the phone was very rude as I explained to him regarding the SCU fault code. The person did not concern or care about how much I spent or what I went through to fix the bike. He told me that, it was due to too many wires (power commander). As they did the maintenance service work, they found one of the wires was damaged/pinched and they had to fix the wire. When I asked for the manager and he said, the manager wasn’t there and he will return the call. I never received a call from them, two weeks later, I called them. When I talk to the manager, he blamed the power commander, stated that the bike has too many wires and this could be the reason. Are they serious! I left the bike for two months for them to sort this out and the response I get from the manager; they fixed the damaged wire, cleared the fault code, rode and no-fault code was showing as they hooked it up to the diagnostic device. Now they are telling me it could be the power commander or something else. They have no idea or have done nothing to fix the fault code. I waited for two weeks for them to return a call, the manager is telling me, they want me to bring the bike to their shop again to diagnose the fault code (this would be my third trip). Each trip costs me over $1000 (gas, food, hotel, and missing 2 days of work). The Moto-Monkey seemed unethical about the whole thing and like their name, doing some monkey business!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.