MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dropped off my 2017 F4RR to MV authorized dealer (Monkeymoto) in Denton TX yesterday. I live in Kansas so it took me over 8 hrs to get to the Monkeymoto. I was hoping to get some simple repairs (originally was for 7500-mile maintenance) but was much more, so I had to leave the bike at the shop and return back home the next day. Sadly, I was notified that my intake cam is damaged and in need of replacement. According to the tech, the new part will cost $1725. The Cam shows back-ordered, they have contacted the MV Agusta and waiting on an ETA for parts needs to be shipped, I am assuming from the MV factory in Italy??? I have received an estimated cost amount of $3200 (see attached bill) to get the damaged cam to be fixed/replace with the new one. Also, I was told the valve needs to be adjusted. At this point, not sure what would cost to get the bike to run properly.

They seemed to be genuine. According to them, they have not begun the diagnostics. I was told that "They start the 7500-mile service with the valve adjustment because the engine has to be completely cool. Then will proceed with diagnoses of your other issues".

My question to you guys, anyone has a replacement part (cam for 2012+) that I could buy, or can it be salvageable instead of buying a new part? Also, quote I received from Monkeymoto, the cost to fix the damaged cam is reasonable.

Attachments

·
Old Wing Nut
21,971 Posts
First....is valve inspection required at 7500 miles?? I thought it was much longer.
Second...valve adjustment is part of replacing a cam, should not be any additional labor.
Third...I would be talking to MV about this camshaft...that wear should NOT have occurred in such a short time. If it is only one lobe, or only one camshaft, then it its obvious the factory had a defective part and they should offer you some "goodwill" toward the repair, even if out of warranty.

By the way...the labor to adjust a valve that is out of spec is the exact same labor time as replacing a cam. You have to remove the cam to change any shims.
So if their 7500 mile service charge includes valve adjustment it includes camshaft R&R.

I think 8 hours is exorbitant labor time for a valve adjustment...which is what this is..

Reactions: R1andrew

·
Registered
453 Posts
Hi

This type of wear appears on MV camshafts and buckets from time to time. It looks like a coating has flaked off because the underlying metal was not properly cleaned before coating. The inlet cam on my 2013 F4RR was replaced under warranty a few years ago now and others have cropped up on the forum. You should push for a goodwill warranty claim. Often the initial view of dealers is leave it and keep an eye on it particularly when there is a warranty claim looming.

Valve clearance check interval is 7500 miles/12,000km.

The quoted camshaft price seems close to the Euro1091 price on Evolutionbike.it so no point in procuring the parts yourself. Is the bucket marked? You should also replace at least the bucket under the damaged lobe. A lot of people subscribe to the new cams/new buckets rule, me included. Noel would have said reuse the gaskets and o-rings with some silicone.

Are you saying that there will be a charge in addition to the quoted 8 hours (for service and cam replacement) for setting any valve clearances that need adjusting (there are sure to be some if all)? Or is the "8 hours all up" including setting valve clearances? The former doesn't seen unreasonable, the later feels like good value. Any quoted service price will usually include checking valve clearances only, any adjustment required would be an extra charge @ time and materials.

On your suspension issue, this might be something to look at. I had an issue with an indicator not working. To cut a long story short, I found the connector in the plug to the flasher unit which fed the problem indicator (separate flasher unit pin for each indicator) was not properly formed. Looking at the plug carefully the problem connector was bigger than the others so wouldn't be able to form a good connection. I was able to tighten with a jewelers screwdriver so it formed a better connection. Problem solved. It might be worth a close look at the plug to the suspension ECU.

HTH

Tony

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a 2017 F4RR and had the inlet cam shaft replaced due to discolouration. This was discovered at the 7500 mile service with the bike having covered 7100 miles at the time. The chain tensioner was also replaced along with a tappet. I’m very fortunate to have Bennetts in Barnsley as my nearest dealership, they supplied the bike new and have completed all the services. Due to their excellent relationship with MV a claim was made based on a manufacturing fault and the parts were supplied free of charge. The total cost of the parts would have been £1400. As esq’z me states no additional labour charge was required and it was a goodwill gesture from the factory as my bike is out of warranty. I appreciate how frustrating it is to get parts and a level service that you would expect from a premium brand in the US.
On the estimate you posted it states exhaust cam rather than inlet cam, although they are the same price, €1100.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all you guys for the great information. You guys are the best! I will contact the monkeymoto and see if they could request from the MV to push for a goodwill warranty claim. I have owned many bikes, mostly Italian bikes, this is by far the most expensive repair cost and occurred on such low mileage bike. As I was told from the monkeymoto, they have not started any maintenance check-up due to damage on the cam. I was told by monkeymoto, Cam needs to be repair first before they could begin any maintenance checkup. I will ask the repair shop, since I was not told or given clarification from the shop if there will be any additional charge for the valve adjustment or will be covered altogether.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello guys and gals,

I am trying to track the previous owner of my 2017 F4RR (black and grey) to gather up the service records. My shop where I dropped off the bike contacted the MV and MV wants the service records on my bike. I might be able to fix it under a goodwill warranty if I could provide them the service records. At this point, I am not able to provide them the records, since I purchased the bike used. I am trying to track the seller, and I have called several MV dealers nearby OH (since I purchased the bike from the state of Cincinnati OH). Those MV dealers nearby OH cannot track any service records under the vin#. At the moment, the only way that I can get the service record is to locate the shop where it got serviced previously.
Anyone has seen this bike nearby Cincinnati OH, know of the owner? The bike has Bodis exhaust and aftermarket ECU, aftermarket red shorty levers, and the color of the bike is black and grey color (see attached photos). Other than these upgrades all original, Vin# ZCGNCFTW5HV007528.

Attachments

·
Old Wing Nut
21,971 Posts
How many services could it have had in such short mileage? Have you called MV yourself? Would be worth a shot.

·
Registered
65 Posts
How many services could it have had in such short mileage? Have you called MV yourself? Would be worth a shot.
My bike was on its 3rd service when the cam shaft fault was discovered.

·
Old Wing Nut
21,971 Posts
My bike was on its 3rd service when the cam shaft fault was discovered.
But his bike is only now getting a 7500 mile service...... What came before? initial post break-in 600 miles (1km ) ??

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hopefully there is evidence of the 600 mile and the 3700 mile service as well.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am trying to contact the MV myself but does not showing any USA phone number (only international phone number). I did receive an email message from MV asking me for the service records. I purchased the bike as used at the time had 6k miles and not able to hold of previous owner and not knowing where the bike has been serviced, I am not able to provide the information to MV. I did most light maintenance service such as changing oil and filter every 1000 miles (twice since I owned) and flushed radiator, clutch and break oil. This is the reason why I am asking forum members for help me to locate the previous owner or to figure out where it’s been serviced.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Ed!
So hear me out forum members. I didn’t purchased the bike new but for those who purchased new MV’s, spending anywhere from 20 to $30,000 dollars on their new bikes (mine cost me $21k for shipping n sales tax). The schedule maintenance shows, first check at 600 mile and 3700 miles for simple maintenance checks, given only 2 year warranty at new. At 7500 miles, recommended a valve check (clearly stated as check n not replace any damage cam parts). So my question is, we should automatically assume the bike is unreliable, at 3700 miles, we should pay extra money and force mechanic to check the valves, and look for damaged camshafts or any non schedule maintenance parts to ensure bike is not damaged and in working order. Why?? Some of us own multiple bikes, do not use MV as daily commuter, by the time warranty expires some of us only put few thousand miles. At 7500 miles, we should not be seeing these type of damage on our bikes. I heard, some reports of blown gasket, flaking cam, damage cams and leaking radiator. I have been riding over 30 years, and this is my second MV I have owned since I started riding at age 18. I can tell you that I did not have a pleasant memory with my first MV, compared to other bikes, MV was by far the most in and out of service shop, way more than other Italian motorcycles. Knowing this, I was saying to myself, after 15 years, being 2nd gen, I said to myself, MV must have sort out these type of issues by now. I love my MV but for me and for those soon to be new MV owners, be aware n check your valves and cams before your warranty expires. It’s costly repairs if MV won’t cover under warranty.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Check this out, it's been happening for years, some people just ignore it.

Reactions: silentservice703

·
Old Wing Nut
21,971 Posts
Check this out, it's been happening for years, some people just ignore it.

His looks much uglier than the flaking we have seen in the past...look at the photo he posted. Looks almost roughly ground down. Nasty.

Reactions: fasduc

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
His looks much uglier than the flaking we have seen in the past...look at the photo he posted. Looks almost roughly ground down. Nasty.
It’s more than flaking...it needs to be replaced. This is the reason why I am telling other MV owners so it doesn’t happen to them. At 8k miles, this should not be happening to our bikes! I take care of my stuffs especially when it comes to bike. I use the most my BMW S1000RR, second Aprilia Ape than the least used my MV. Regardless it gets used or not, I change the engine oil (alway used Motul full synthetic) and OEM filter every spring.

·
Old Wing Nut
21,971 Posts
@mrflex I don't think your single lobe worn is indicative of a widespread problem with MV...that is why I think you should call MV USA and discuss.
I had a similar experience with a Honda Accord, where one cam lobe wore out at over 80k miles and 5 years. There was absolutely no reason for it as services had been done by the book by the dealer. And only one lobe on one cam...all others were just fine.
Honda assisted with the cost of repairs, even though warranty had expired long before.

Reactions: silentservice703

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@mrflex I don't think your single lobe worn is indicative of a widespread problem with MV...that is why I think you should call MV USA and discuss.
I had a similar experience with a Honda Accord, where one cam lobe wore out at over 80k miles and 5 years. There was absolutely no reason for it as services had been done by the book by the dealer. And only one lobe on one cam...all others were just fine.
Honda assisted with the cost of repairs, even though warranty had expired long before.
Hello Ed,
Thanks again for the tip, I will be off from work tomorrow, so I will call the MV.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I replaced my intake camshaft back in October on my 12,000km service. Typical flaking and not as bad as yours. I purchased the part from Evolution Bike and was then reimbursed by dealer. Import costs for them drive the prices here in Canada way up. For example I also had to replace the fuel tank which they accidentally damaged and the cost from dealer was 50% more than me buying from Evolution Bike. Luckily when I bought the bike in 2016 I also purchased an extended warranty because at the time I didn’t know if MV would even be around to honour the warranty.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I replaced my intake camshaft back in October on my 12,000km service. Typical flaking and not as bad as yours. I purchased the part from Evolution Bike and was then reimbursed by dealer. Import costs for them drive the prices here in Canada way up. For example I also had to replace the fuel tank which they accidentally damaged and the cost from dealer was 50% more than me buying from Evolution Bike. Luckily when I bought the bike in 2016 I also purchased an extended warranty because at the time I didn’t know if MV would even be around to honour the warranty.
I have talked to MV Agusta USA rep person. He called me and he seemed very nice. I am trying to trace the previous owner/service shop to track down the service records. It's not fair that I have to pay for the damaged part since the bike is pretty new with very low mileage. Only one cam is damaged, which means that manufacturing used the faulty part. The scheduled maintenance for 7500 is for check valves, adjust if need it and not replacing damaged cam. The flacking cam might be normal but I would recommend all MV owners to check their valve at a 3500-mile check-up even not necessarily and payout of own packet.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts