MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my bike is in for 7500 mile service and the dealer just told me my exhaust cam and and intake cam need to be replaced. They are going to attempt to get mv to give me a goodwill warranty on the parts but in case they cant does anyone have any of those parts lying around?
Part numbers : 8000B2631
and 800PB2630
Thanks yall, not really sure what to do if I have to drop 2500 dollars for new cams from the dealer.....

·
Administrator
19,100 Posts
Why would both your cams need replacement at 7500 miles ??? I mean, if one had defective hard facing I could see that, but to get 2 defective cams would be unlikely.... not a common problem to have either.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why would both your cams need replacement at 7500 miles ??? I mean, if one had defective hard facing I could see that, but to get 2 defective cams would be unlikely.... not a common problem to have either.
I agree completely, the dealer doesnt have an answer as to why this has happened at the moment. I've heard some theories, the most promising one being oil starvation due to a faulty pump.
Here's some photos of the current cams and buckets..

·
Administrator
19,100 Posts
Or excessively tight clearances....or really crappy oil? Is every lobe and tappet affected?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
6 tappets, not sure how many lobes as these photos were sent to me by the dealer.
I might just get rid of the bike because if they order new cams its gonna take months to get them and I dont want to be without a bike all season.

·
Administrator
19,100 Posts
Should not take months to get those parts, maybe 2 weeks..... who is your dealer?

Only six tappets means not oil...maybe very tight valves were the cause.

·
Administrator
19,100 Posts
Are you going to Charlotte?? Michael Long? parts delays on non-cosmetic parts are frequently caused by the dealer and are not just "MV is slow".

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes and yes about Charlotte and michael. My concern about turnover time is because of what's happening in Italy, not just MV is slow.
Although I've been waiting for a new gas tank since SEPTEMBER, so mv also seems a tad slow.

·
Administrator
19,100 Posts
Yeah....gas tank is a "Cosmetic" item..... those are not usually "in stock". But engine stuff and other things that are common across models and not color code specific are usually quick. But it is true that MV probably isn't open at the moment.
Michael is good. Tell him Ed says Hi and congratulate him on his newly arrived daughter !!!

·
Registered
304 Posts
This issue rears its head from time to time but I don't think I've read of it for some time now.

I had two inlet followers on my 2013 F4RR show those types of issue at around 8,000km and there was also a mark on one lobe of the cam. It seems to be failure of the surface treatment from what I was told at the time. The dealer's (and the importer's) initial response was "nothing to worry about - keep an eye on it". In fact I spotted the issue when the engine was apart for warranty replacement of the lower cam drive gear and shaft, the dealer either hadn't noticed or wasn't going to tell me. But to cut a long story short a new inlet cam and two followers buckets were sourced under warranty. Bizarrely they didn't feel that a full set of new followers should accompany the new cam and I ended up providing the other six followers myself. Not the dealers/importers finest hour.

At 33,000km, when I checked recently, the original exhaust cam and followers and the replaced inlet cam and followers all look perfect.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
So my bike is in for 7500 mile service and the dealer just told me my exhaust cam and and intake cam need to be replaced. They are going to attempt to get mv to give me a goodwill warranty on the parts but in case they cant does anyone have any of those parts lying around?
Part numbers : 8000B2631
and 800PB2630
Thanks yall, not really sure what to do if I have to drop 2500 dollars for new cams from the dealer.....
MV sell an intake cam kit which comes with intake cam + 6 intake valves

8000C3464CAM SHAFT KIT
€ 463.37​

Seriously doubt it will cost 2500 dollars for an exhaust cam and some tappets.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That kit is only for the f3, and if you take into account 1800 usd ish for all the parts, not just the cams... and labor it's probably going to sit close to 2500 usd.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts