MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*Update*
Hi all :wave: , just had Mv out for its first run this morning since fitting the rear camera, its brilliant, :yo: it fills the gap missing with the mirrors ( the centre part that your elbows obstruct!) A bit unerving when a car is up your butt :bandit: i will get used to it. :)
Also had my lid on that i had sprayed in MV colours.... :flash: , attached a pic
The camera had no vibration, the temperature did not effect it in any way and the body of the camera kept cool enough, so all worked out well.
Big smile :D i can see whats behind now Yippee.
 

Attachments

·
The Dude
Joined
·
5,041 Posts
dude, this is very cool. glad it's all working.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, the camera and screen comes from a friend that puts them in cars, cost about £120. The bracket and loom was made by myself, quite simple really, with good results.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MV-999R said:
Nice.
How good is that screen? Does it have enough backlight if it's sunny?
Sure Does, the brightness goes almost white if you turn it to max, i have a uridium visor and seems a bit harder to see when in direct sunlight but its a whole lot better than the mirrors, i went out lunchtime for a spin and found myself using it more and more, even backing out the garage is useful. so glad i done it i seem to spend a lot of time glancing behind whilst riding.....dont know why. Its a comfort factor i think, and i dont have to lift my elbows up now!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
Hi folks,
I hope all are well this morning, I just wanted to mention my experience with this set-up. I tried a system like this a couple of years ago, it did'nt work for me. I would not recomend this for anyone in southern California or anywhere else that is very clear and bright. I am sure evo-chris is going to really enjoy this item because it works great if it's not too sunny and he is in England, after all. {no offense Chris} When I had it on my M/V it worked great at dusk and also extremely early in the morning-other then those moments it was really hard to see what was on the screen. I am afraid I have fallen victim to some rather industious law enforcement tactic's involving following me for a stretch-I swear, those copper's must know that we cant see out of our mirror's! So I got the rear-vision camera to help me with this and also I get paranoid at stoplights, I always feel as if some cage if going to ram me. I am well aware of the "lifting your elbows" stye of seeing behind you, but if I am going at a good clip- say 70 to 120mph I just cant make out who is a cop and who is not a cop! I am sure that I am a little more vulnerable that most of you due to some back/neck operation's which have made turning around properly very difficult........ So I tried the camera, it didnt work for me, I took it off. I really did'nt like taking my eyes off the road to try to see what was happening behind me- it seemed really difficult to get any useful information from the tiny screem without seriously compromising your focus up ahead! I even flirted with replacing the 3" screen with a 7" screen on the tank or even 2 thin little LCD screens flush mounted right on the side mirror's but I just lost patience and ripped the whole system out.. I mean what was next? An extended swingarm? nitros? spinners? Maybe if I had a hayabusa and lived in Florida! ha ha ha just kidding, not my style!
Good luck evo-chris, perhaps you will have better luck then me- oh and a word of caution to any new M/V owners out there.......Beware of the police, you are now a special kind of target, not just because its hard to see them behind you- but perhaps even worse, you are now a rich bastard who deserves to be punished for having a motorcycle that most cops cant afford.........BEWARE!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
785 Posts
EVO Chris said:
Sure Does, the brightness goes almost white if you turn it to max, i have a uridium visor and seems a bit harder to see when in direct sunlight but its a whole lot better than the mirrors, i went out lunchtime for a spin and found myself using it more and more, even backing out the garage is useful. so glad i done it i seem to spend a lot of time glancing behind whilst riding.....dont know why. Its a comfort factor i think, and i dont have to lift my elbows up now!

Chris, sounds good, we may try a pen camera and and LCD creen and see how it works.

Would have to find out the best way of mounting on a stock numberplate holder.

How did you wire it in, does it turn off when the ignition key is removed?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
firebreathingdog said:
Hi folks,
I hope all are well this morning, I just wanted to mention my experience with this set-up. I tried a system like this a couple of years ago, it did'nt work for me. I would not recomend this for anyone in southern California or anywhere else that is very clear and bright. I am sure evo-chris is going to really enjoy this item because it works great if it's not too sunny and he is in England, after all. {no offense Chris} When I had it on my M/V it worked great at dusk and also extremely early in the morning-other then those moments it was really hard to see what was on the screen. I am afraid I have fallen victim to some rather industious law enforcement tactic's involving following me for a stretch-I swear, those copper's must know that we cant see out of our mirror's! So I got the rear-vision camera to help me with this and also I get paranoid at stoplights, I always feel as if some cage if going to ram me. I am well aware of the "lifting your elbows" stye of seeing behind you, but if I am going at a good clip- say 70 to 120mph I just cant make out who is a cop and who is not a cop! I am sure that I am a little more vulnerable that most of you due to some back/neck operation's which have made turning around properly very difficult........ So I tried the camera, it didnt work for me, I took it off. I really did'nt like taking my eyes off the road to try to see what was happening behind me- it seemed really difficult to get any useful information from the tiny screem without seriously compromising your focus up ahead! I even flirted with replacing the 3" screen with a 7" screen on the tank or even 2 thin little LCD screens flush mounted right on the side mirror's but I just lost patience and ripped the whole system out.. I mean what was next? An extended swingarm? nitros? spinners? Maybe if I had a hayabusa and lived in Florida! ha ha ha just kidding, not my style!
Good luck evo-chris, perhaps you will have better luck then me- oh and a word of caution to any new M/V owners out there.......Beware of the police, you are now a special kind of target, not just because its hard to see them behind you- but perhaps even worse, you are now a rich bastard who deserves to be punished for having a motorcycle that most cops cant afford.........BEWARE!!!!
Hi Firebreathingdog (cool name) Yes your right...... absolutely useless to spot the rozzers at hi speed, i spend most of my time through traffic or twisty narrow english roads, its perfect for that, i used to hesitate, look twice lift up my arms before i even pulled through the traffic, now i look once, look at the screen and pull off, its taken a lot of the hassle out of town driving, which im really happy about.
The weather has been kind the last few days over here and i have not had any issues with the screen visiblilty yet, will keep an eye on it though, no pun intended! Thanks for you observations.
There does not seem to be as many traffic police around the uk as much as there used to be (speed cameras everywhere!), as long as were 'sensible' they dont seem to bother us. In fact there are a lot of bike related awareness schemes around at the minute so seems there looking out for us....not literaly. :laughing:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
eMoto UK said:
Chris, sounds good, we may try a pen camera and and LCD creen and see how it works.

Would have to find out the best way of mounting on a stock numberplate holder.

How did you wire it in, does it turn off when the ignition key is removed?
Hi Emoto, i found a permanent ignition live that went to the fuse box on the right of the bike, the amps are so low for the screen/camera i was sure it would not effect any of the other equipment, so i found the largest fusebox live, spliced and put an inline 3amp fuse to each supply. So when the ignition comes on so does the system. The loom was made and traced along the orignal bikes loom and 'threaded, through thoes dreded rubber ties, you cant even see it. Used the bike for about 50miles now and dont think i could be without it through traffic now.
I was going to put my original rear mudguard back on as it would have mounted perfect through the numberplate light hole, you woulld need a smaller number plate light remounted lower though but made a bracket instead, dont like that mudgaurd. Any question PM me and i can send some pics.....chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
Hey EVO chris,
Sounds great, I remember it was great when filtering,it sounds like you have really embraced this new "high tec" modification. You and I both utilized that same hole for the camera- perfect!!! Enjoy your newfound freedom, it's a shame Los Angeles is so sunny and bright-Ha Ha Ha. If I lived in your neighborhood I problably would have kept it- great in traffic! Incedently, we have an outrageous amount of police here, California is a little overpatroled, I think. I cant ride a block without getting harrassed. What is that company that makes that little stalk with the light on the end, it uses GPS to warn you of a speed camera? That is the next mod for you! I know I would have it if I lived in your neck of the woods.. I think the only speed cameras that we have here in America are in Arizona, maybe just a handful now but I am sure in a few years they will be everywhere, the scurge of society- just like your country!!! ........... Be well chris, ride fast, ride safe and dont get caught.....
-FBD
 
A

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
hey mate
excellent mod to the bike, where can i get it from
do u have any of the contact details or name of the product
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
anothermvfanatic said:
hey mate
excellent mod to the bike, where can i get it from
do u have any of the contact details or name of the product
Hi there MVFanatic, I got it off my friend who puts them in cars for a living, he supplied it to me for just over £120, (just the camera and screen). The make on the screen is Puston but know idea where he gets them from....I could get a set for you, email if your interested. :yo:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,255 Posts
i can GUARANTEE you that cali and arizona is not the only place with speed cameras. around here (DCmetro), they seem to put them where people don't have any money or downtown. try to put them in affluent areas, and they are gone in a short while. that includes red light cameras too! i have seen plenty of bikes blow past them at triple digit speeds. i don't believe that the camera catches them....and unfortunately, that includes toll booth cameras as well!! :jsm:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Chris, Well done mate!
I would be really interested in getting a setup like yours, so could you send me the details?
I thought of an idea about sheilding the screen from sunlight.
Because of where you have mounted the screen you could put a shroud around the screen, similar to the one on a TomTom Rider GPS. I reckon it could be even deeper on your screen, maybe even 2 inches deep, as you are looking almost straight on to the screen.
Best Regards
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hank_UK said:
Chris, Well done mate!
I would be really interested in getting a setup like yours, so could you send me the details?
I thought of an idea about sheilding the screen from sunlight.
Because of where you have mounted the screen you could put a shroud around the screen, similar to the one on a TomTom Rider GPS. I reckon it could be even deeper on your screen, maybe even 2 inches deep, as you are looking almost straight on to the screen.
Best Regards

Hank, i have sent an email to you.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top