MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got bad news (maybe) from my dealer today. I put the F4 in for its 14.9mi service getting ready for the Bub. Dealer calls me this afternoon and says the #2 (?) intake lobe is chipped. :jsm:

Doing a little research, it appears this is not a completely uncommon problem. See here from 2006: http://mvfaq.blogspot.com/2006/10/cam-lobe-marks.html

Also see three attached files from the post, the fourth is mine.

So, has anyone else experienced this recently?

Attachments

·
Vendor
5,284 Posts
Yes,seen this before and it seems to be normal wear and tear.What oil do you use?

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
I don't think it's wear as much as a fabrication thing Mitch, my bike had this on the cams when the dealer did the 1000k service, it still looks like that at 10 000k.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Maybe a remnant of the initial engine run in? Maybe they start the lobes dry and the first few rotations leave a lasting mark?

·
Vendor
5,284 Posts
I don't think it's wear as much as a fabrication thing Mitch, my bike had this on the cams when the dealer did the 1000k service, it still looks like that at 10 000k.
No worries mate.I will put that info in the memory bank lol

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Hey Mitchy ,I Have tested the 10w 70 premium 10 ,good oil ,but it increased my temp by at least 6 degrees , This is due to it being a thicker oil and not pumping around quick enough. Gear changes was good. then i tried the by memory the 15w 50 heat was good dropped back down to normal but the gear changes was crap. so went back using the Ipone oil . I have crap loads of oil now lying around the house.

cheers eddy

·
Vendor
5,284 Posts
Hey Mitchy ,I Have tested the 10w 70 premium 10 ,good oil ,but it increased my temp by at least 6 degrees , This is due to it being a thicker oil and not pumping around quick enough. Gear changes was good. then i tried the by memory the 15w 50 heat was good dropped back down to normal but the gear changes was crap. so went back using the Ipone oil . I have crap loads of oil now lying around the house.

cheers eddy
Hi Eddy,I have been using Motul 5100,but because I spend soo much money with Penrite in my workshop and they are providing more choices of oils for motorcycles because one of the owners is a motorcycle nut lol.I changed my oil over last weekend to their 10w70,but havn't tested it yet.I will let you know how I go with temp issues to compare.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Would be good to get your opinion Mitchy ,as my bike never went over 93 degrees ,i hit 101 degrees using the 70 .I think it is very good oil ,but just did not suit my bike.

cheers Bud

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think my thread has been hijacked. :wtf:

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Wasn't me ,LOL. Sounds like this is normal Michael ,When i did my shimes my Cams had no marks whatsoever ,so is your marks due to the type of oil used ,no way. I have used 6 different oils ,maybe more in my bike . So looks like the article is spot on.

cheers eddy

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There verdict is in; known issue, not "damaged", and no need to replace the cam. Bad news...the only certified MV mechanic in the area is out next week for training and won't be able to finish up the scheduled service until next Saturday so I can't pick the bike up until the 14th. :banghead:

This is starting to cut it a little too close for comfort. :ahhh:

·
Registered
14,423 Posts
?

in all my years I've never seen this before....

material incompatibility......

and you do NOT want those flakes going through your motor

kind of like Ducati rocker chrome flaking .......oh, that's right, they

were designed by the same guy......Massimo Bordi

All MVs are run in at the Factory......so no 'dry' cams

what ever the black coating is, it doesn't like rubbing on the same stuff

anybody have a damaged cam and matching lifters?

send them to me I'll take them to my mentor the "Cam Father" Ed

Iskenderian.....and ask him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYigt3CmaGQ

when John Surtees was building his F1 motor he went to Ed....there is a

picture of him in Ed's Lobby with Ed

you ask Ed????? dream on........ I've known him for 35 years

~ 25 years ago GM was having a problem with their cams......they

were going flat on the test bench.....

for $50,000 they hired Ed.......he walks in pulls out his jeweler's loupe

and pocket knife.....scrapes the cam, looks at it and says "plate it with

0.00015" of copper".....OK, pay me!

Ed holds most of the patents on cam grinders