MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Found out why the bike stopped on the way home last night :

Pretty sure the tensioner was shot, it was on the list to check this weekend.
I was literally slowing down to turn into my drive when clunk and no power....

·
King of Bling
9,818 Posts
Bummer... Sorry to see this has happened to your motor

Damn that's not good mate. Do they damage valves when this happens?

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Unfortunately, in most cases yes..

Is this a 750 or 1000 model ?.. Don't purchase the replacement chain from MV as they use DID chains in their motors.. These can be bought cheaper direct from a DID supplier..

·
King of Bling
9,818 Posts
Wow.. 97000Km's..

I think Richard got what life that chain had to offer in this case..

I know MV give a recommended Timing Chain replacement schedule, but I thing the 750's are good for 20,000+ milles over that replacement period..

However, the 1000 motor chains seem to take slighly more hammering and I know of 2 examples that needed replacement approx 10,000 miles over the scheduled period..

The tell tell sign was a rattle still present after a new cam chain tensioner kit was installed..

Nothing in life lasts for ever... ( apart from true Love.... Arrrrrr!) :green:

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
This was my 2005 Brutale 750 just short of 97000km, the 910R now enters daily service Monday morning....

The chain had done about 60000km, it was changed at 36000 or there abouts. I'm pretty sure the tensioner was to blame, things have been sounding a bit more rattley for a long while, so much so I asked the mech to check the tensioner etc a while ago, he said they were all ok - I don't believe this now so next time I have a hunch it ain't right I'll be looking into it sooner.

I visited my old mech on the way home Friday to pick up an alternator and he said tensioner ( or maybe chain). The slightly annoying thing was I already had this weekend scheduled to pull the tensioner etc out and check them. Another 50metres and the engine would have been switched off in the garage instead of me having to push it up the drive.

The broken chain appears ok other than the buggered link and the one next to it that has popped off. Not sure but as it happened changing down I'm going to guess a bit too much slack somewhere and it dropped off a gear and jammed on something. If I get the time next weekend I'll drop the motor and see what the damage is, but I'll be very surprised if there aren't some new smiles in the pistons and a few bent valves.

So the most likely decision will be between parting the bike out and getting another engine as I don't see a rebuild being worthwhile if there are bent valves.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Sad news indeed, makes me wonder about my `05 . Reckon it`s related to the metal in your oil a little while ago?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe, I'd say some of the grey sludge was the engine casings being worn away by the flapping cam chain, if so I might be able to see where when I pull it apart.

·
Registered
967 Posts
It looks on the photo like the link next to the break/tear is missing the end of the pin or is that just an illusion ?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
New Motor then or off to the knackery ?
Jury still out on that, but I have no doubt the bike is worth more as parts at the moment... Talking to CAG about an engine and also got one to chase up here.

It looks on the photo like the link next to the break/tear is missing the end of the pin or is that just an illusion ?
The link plate has popped off the pin at that point.

·
Registered
967 Posts
That`s interesting about the link plate, gotta wonder why it would do that. I`ve thought about getting a spare engine for my 750s as I couldn`t bear to part with it should it blow up.What sort of money are they going for ?

·
Registered
967 Posts
Jury still out on that, but I have no doubt the bike is worth more as parts at the moment... Talking to CAG about an engine and also got one to chase up here.

The link plate has popped off the pin at that point.
Did you have any luck sourceing a new motor and any the wiser on the damage to the old one?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've spoken to CAG about an engine but not really done a lot more, been busy with other things the last couple of weekends.

The idea of just replacing the head went through my mind but I'll still have to pull the engine apart to put a new cam chain on. I did drop the oil today, there was evidence of cam chain guides(cream plastic like material) in catch tray.

I'm pretty sure I'm just going to pull the whole bike to bits and sell off what I don't want to keep to fund my Microtec ECU purchase for the 910R.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The recycling begins :

Still can't be sure but it appears the cam chain tensioner broke ( it came out in bits and another part was found near one of the inlet valve buckets). The exhaust side chain guide is in bits, the rear looks ok.

The frame came off ok, but the bottom engine mount bolt broke not one but two of my socket set parts, will have to buy some new bigger ones...

Tried to get the head off to take a look at the inside but the allen bolts are hard to get at and very tight too. Anyone know of the trick to get these undone ?

My 750 is officially dead but parts of it will get another back on the road.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Great opportunity to completely strip the engine and rebuild.

I'm in the process of collecting components to build a Laverda 1200cc engine and am really looking forward to the learning curve. It's not very common to see an MV engine begging for a rebuild...

Does that make you feel any better ; )

joe

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I doubt this one will be getting rebuilt, but I won't say no until I've got the head off....

Laverda 1200 bits, I'd go hunting for rocking horse poo, probably more of it around !

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
I doubt this one will be getting rebuilt, but I won't say no until I've got the head off....

Laverda 1200 bits, I'd go hunting for rocking horse poo, probably more of it around !
I know people ; )

joe

ps If you want to pop a 312 engine in there complete with the harness and ecu to match then I know someone : )

1 - 19 of 19 Posts