MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one know if the cam chain tensioner for my 05 750s Brutale and 1078 Brutale will be the same part as in buying a new one will fit either bike ?
Thanks Cus

·
King of Bling
9,831 Posts
Any one know if the cam chain tensioner for my 05 750s Brutale and 1078 Brutale will be the same part as in buying a new one will fit either bike ?
Thanks Cus
Cus

They are different and have different part numbers, but the later 1078 is inter-changable with the early version..

If you get stuck, I have 2x new later kits in stock..

Cheers
J

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
The later ones fail too,eventually, at about three times the recommended service life....

Which reminds me I need to get one for the 910, if you are looking to sell one of those John send me a note with pricing.

·
King of Bling
9,831 Posts
Same here John, let me know how much for the other one,
Cheers

Will do Cus... I've PM'd Richard and just waiting for a reply..

I probably want to keep one kit in stock for my own 750, as the SPR has the early " Silver" version fitted..

I'll pm you this evening..

Cheers
J

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Rich did you ever get around to measuring your old knackered cam chain ?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Hey Rich did you ever get around to measuring your old knackered cam chain ?
No, been busy keeping the wife happy! But, I now have a brand new chain and the old one so I'll put them side by side and take some pics at the weekend when she is out and I'm in the garage...

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
OK, the old chain next to the new one, 1/5th of bugger all difference in the length as far as I can tell.
Hold them both up sideways and about 2 inches extra sag on the old one.
The old chain has done about 60000km and suffered a catastrophic failure (it snapped!) when the tensioner died.
Both chains have the same marking on them : DID FTH 219.

·
King of Bling
9,831 Posts
I thought the black ones were supposed to be the good ones?
That's dirt not it's colour.. You can tell it's the early silver type by the size of the tensioner housing bolt and the thickness of the casing.

If someone needs a new new 750 (Only) open cam-chain, I think I might have one somewhere..

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the info Rich, I think I`ll park my 750 (48,000kms) till the new tensioner arrives from John, Murphy`s Law being what it is. did the pieces of the busted tensioner come out with it or drop into the pan ?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Thanks for the info Rich, I think I`ll park my 750 (48,000kms) till the new tensioner arrives from John, Murphy`s Law being what it is. did the pieces of the busted tensioner come out with it or drop into the pan ?
The bits all came out with it. Keep riding, mine didn't die until twice that distance and you WILL know if the tensioner stops working - your normally quite noisy engine will be even noisier than a dry clutch Ducati.... Stop riding it then and push/trailer it home.

I was previously informed my failed tensioner was the later design, but as John says that's just 9 years of dirt, not black paint, it is the early version.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts