MV Agusta Forum banner

141 - 160 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Hahaha mine was the same. I originally drilled a small recess for the spring to sit in, so it couldn't happen again. Then found the tokyomods one and never looked back...until my bike was stolen.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
Where you been? I'm missing my Honda support in the race threads!!>:) :grin2:
I have no time to do anything anymore. The world is a crazy place. Trust me, there is nothing I love more than seeing the Rossi fanboi's complain that MM and Honda are making MotoGP boring. Perhaps they'll all jump ship to FQ.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sorry if I resume this discussion. I have a problem after checking my tensioner. The correct timing of the engine and that of this photo?
IMAG0360_zpsr1hvoykw.jpg
Manual Mv has different position :

I ask this because after putting in phase as per manualer the bike doesn't go as before. So I had a doubt and now I have found this discussion.
I apologize for my bad english. I hope it is understandable

·
Administrator
19,804 Posts
Sorry if I resume this discussion. I have a problem after checking my tensioner. The correct timing of the engine and that of this photo?
Manual Mv has different position :
I ask this because after putting in phase as per manualer the bike doesn't go as before. So I had a doubt and now I have found this discussion.
I apologize for my bad english. I hope it is understandable
Did you remove your tensioner without securing the chain on the camshaft sprockets?.
Remove a spark plug and insert a wooden dowel to watch piston up and down movement. Confirm piston is at top dead center when crankshaft phonic wheel lines up with cases as shown in manual.
Next step will be to confirm cam marks are in correct position. I suspect your chain jumped a tooth on your cam sprockets.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Do as above and confirm timing.

If you conclude it’s half a tooth of check the chain guides for wear (especially the rear one) and chain condition.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Did you remove your tensioner without securing the chain on the camshaft sprockets?.
Remove a spark plug and insert a wooden dowel to watch piston up and down movement. Confirm piston is at top dead center when crankshaft phonic wheel lines up with cases as shown in manual.
Next step will be to confirm cam marks are in correct position. I suspect your chain jumped a tooth on your cam sprockets.
Yes. I realigned everything as per the manual. But it remains half a tooth out. The cams are okay. I checked the signs and that there are 24 pegs between the 2 notches. However, the tone wheel remains slightly displaced. It looks like half a tooth. I have no problem passing the chain under the transmission to realign everything. But the half tooth is probably due to wear of the rear shoe. I ask if something like this has happened to others .....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Do as above and confirm timing.

If you conclude it’s half a tooth of check the chain guides for wear (especially the rear one) and chain condition.

Thank you. I will have to do. The problem that to replace the pads I will have to open the engine. It's a winter job, now it's summer. This winter I will. Can this condition cause problems? I found the tensioner out of 4 teeth. It does not seem excessive wear.
Instead, I will have to replace the tensioner to my other motorcycle. B4 1090rr (this is 1078). Can't be done without opening the tappet cover? Will the chain always run away? Or is it a matter of luck? If I turn the crankshaft slightly clockwise while removing the tensioner, will I relieve the tension gently and can I have a chance that everything remains in place?
Thanks for your answers. You are very useful!:love:

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Do not do this! You must remove the valve cover and secure the chain to the sprockets, and hold a tension on the cam chain on the exhaust side. Otherwise the cam chain will drop down off the lower sprocket and you will lose the timing.
There is no shortcut to the process. Follow the manuals exactly.
I can report that I did the shortcut, and the bike runs, but It was not happy. It was 1 tooth off. No mechanical damage, thank goodness. Lesson learnt.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Do not do this! You must remove the valve cover and secure the chain to the sprockets, and hold a tension on the cam chain on the exhaust side. Otherwise the cam chain will drop down off the lower sprocket and you will lose the timing.
There is no shortcut to the process. Follow the manuals exactly.
I can report that I did the shortcut, and the bike runs, but It was not happy. It was 1 tooth off. No mechanical damage, thank goodness. Lesson learnt.
Yess understand. But if the chain go out u ear that. Same thing in my 1078.... Tnx for answer

·
Registered
226 Posts
Thank you. I will have to do. The problem that to replace the pads I will have to open the engine. It's a winter job, now it's summer. This winter I will. Can this condition cause problems? I found the tensioner out of 4 teeth. It does not seem excessive wear.
Instead, I will have to replace the tensioner to my other motorcycle. B4 1090rr (this is 1078). Can't be done without opening the tappet cover? Will the chain always run away? Or is it a matter of luck? If I turn the crankshaft slightly clockwise while removing the tensioner, will I relieve the tension gently and can I have a chance that everything remains in place?
Thanks for your answers. You are very useful!:love:
You can replace the rear chain guide by just removing the camshafts.

Take a look at my recent engine failure topic. I ended up with half a tooth also and posted detailed pictures.

In my case I took the chance, but this is knowing that I will have to come back there soon.

141 - 160 of 163 Posts