MV Agusta Forum banner

101 - 120 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think the point is being missed here. Correct me if I am wrong, but like the final drive chain, the driven side will always be under tension when the motor is running, so the valve timing will not change.
The function of the tensioner I would have thought is merely to stop an overly slack cam from slapping around as heat expansion and wear occurs.

So, my answer would be to set it on the loose side and forget about it for 10,000 kms. I have regularly popped the valve cover to check the CCT, and the adjustment required is minimal. FWIW I have cut a longer internal rod for the CCT so that if the ratchet ever fails, the plunger cannot retract enough that the chain can skip a tooth.
l think this is a great idea, can you please post details?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Does anyone know if the kx250f tensioner will work on a 2010 f4????
No reason why it shouldn't, it's all the same for all the 4cyl MVs. I plan on putting one in the 12' Brutale before too long as well.

·
Super Moderator
22,306 Posts
Some would say yes; some would say no.

Depends on your ability to adjust the manual tensioner over time.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Some would say yes; some would say no.

Depends on your ability to adjust the manual tensioner over time.
Yea I’ve done a Jetprime pump,Samco hose kit with clamps, Muzzy fans, Brembo wheels, full radial brake conversion and all miantanance on my bike. I’d say an adjustment every 5k to 10k would not be a problem. Thank you Sir for your advice

·
Registered
1,600 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I might add to this thread that the cct for kawasaki kx250 and the Suzuki rmz250 is the same(look att part nr by tokyo mods it´s the same), if i´m not misstaken(been a while since investigated) Suzuki and Kawasaki mx engines are the same after going four stroke. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
You can check my post from customizing and performance section, 910/750F4 hybrid, i wrote there about a method where to start with the tension.

Will use this as a little benchmark when I fit a manual cct this winter :). have never had a manual one so it´s about time :grin2:

·
Administrator
19,804 Posts
if i´m not mistaken(been a while since investigated) Suzuki and Kawasaki mx engines are the same after going four stroke. :)
Only the 250 and only the first 2 years. Suzuki did design work, Kawasai built it...and it was a real POS.

Suzuki and Kawasaki ended their cooperative agreement after 2006.

That said, things like cam chain tensioners and other generic components are sourced from vendors, not built in-house. True for most brands (MV included).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Only the 250 and only the first 2 years. Suzuki did design work, Kawasai built it...and it was a real POS.

Suzuki and Kawasaki ended their cooperative agreement after 2006.

That said, things like cam chain tensioners and other generic components are sourced from vendors, not built in-house. True for most brands (MV included).

Aha...too long ago i investigated then :surprise::banghead:
But then again as you say...everything is not done in house...just needs to be adressed with a bit of curiosity and a investigative mind set :nerd:

Hopefully my rmz cct will fit perfectly wen i have the time too fit it :grin2:

Thanks for uppdating on the joint venture thing :)

101 - 120 of 163 Posts