MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's been on here a million times but I went at it from a different angle. The spring in this pic had nothing stopping it from popping straight out of that opening. In fact when I removed the Cam chain tensioner the spring was almost popped out. If it comes out and there is no more tension on the ratchet, it's easy to predict what will happen...kaboom. So I took it apart and drilled a recess into that part so the spring is captured and has nowhere to go. $20 says that spring coming out is responsible for all the engine failures. Hopefully I just saved myself $450. We shall see.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Don't know if you guys knew this but the Cam chain tensioner on the first gen F4 1000 is IDENTICAL to the one used on the Kawasaki KX250F Dirtbike, the RMZ250F Dirt bike. They cost $77 USD. Your welcome. BTW there is lots of aftermarket tensioners available for those machines and they cost about $100. Check out Tokyo mods. They have a beautiful manual adjuster that will never ever break.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Is the original also not around 100?

·
Registered
14,532 Posts
?

Dave;
the usual failure is the casting cracks through the pivot point killing tension on the

ratchet.......

thanks for the alternate sources

:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For $100 this will certainly outperform the $298.00 upgraded MV version.

I just ordered this tensioner so I'll let you know how it works out. Cost $150CAD shipped. MV wants $450CAD plus Tax...eesh.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Once it has been verified this needs to go into the sticky section. Last time I checked the std tensioner was priced at A$495 in Australia.

Can't say I agree with the post above. If the spring pops out the only thing holding the ratchet in place is tension, which will be changing as you throttle off.
This whole subject does my head in. Other brands have issues too. Wish there was some way to have gear driven cams, like the older MV and the Honda VTR SP's.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
I will check Again Jon ,I have my old original cam chain tensioner, still perfect might drill that hole and make a profit. LOL. I will test to see if it pushes back. Your probably correct as mine was jammed was a long time ago.Cheers Jon

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Hey Eddy. I was meaning the substitution with the Kawasaki tensioner should be in the sticky knowledge base section.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree that if that spring is not there and you go off throttle, hit a bump, lean the bike, hit the brakes hard...literally anything that can unload the Cam chain for a micro second, that ratchet can absolutely unlock.

·
Registered
133 Posts
If the Kawasaki tensioner works then a manual tensioner from an aftermarket company for the same Kawasaki should also work and once set and the lock nut is tight loosening cam chains would be a thing of the past.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If the Kawasaki tensioner works then a manual tensioner from an aftermarket company for the same Kawasaki should also work and once set and the lock nut is tight loosening cam chains would be a thing of the past.
That's what I'm hoping for my friend. And for $99.99 USD that's one helluva insurance policy.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
I will stick automatic type as some guys do over tighten them,be careful,do a google search on this topic .

cheers eddy

·
Registered
133 Posts
Dealing with the problem I have going on with my MV I was saying the whole time with a brand new manual adjust cam chain tensioner for my 2001 Yamaha R1 if someone made one of these I'd be loving life I tryed to see if it fit and it was different.

My whole head and cylinders have to come off I got issues with the shaft that has the gear for the crank and sprocket for the chain and cams I'm pretty sure all my problems start there and hopefully don't get worse and find anything else broken I ended up parking it and just looking at it every once and awhile damn thing barely has 6000miles on it only a couple hundred from me last owner I believe touched stuff he shouldn't have looks like he did a lot of the things that I've also seen online to do like the cam chain tensioner and metal cooling fans and some exhaust I just don't think the cam chain tensioner was done properly it's never really been right while I've owned it I just never had a new one to compare it to I got other engines opened up until there done I can't see opening up another motor just isn't enough time in the day to complete things got all the parts just spread thin on time in the day

·
Registered
347 Posts
My whole head and cylinders have to come off I got issues with the shaft that has the gear for the crank and sprocket for the chain and cams I'm pretty sure all my problems start there and hopefully don't get worse and find anything else broken.....
What are the symptoms? why do you suspect that shaft?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Multiple timing issues im guessing a keyway sheered if I had to guess cause last time I worked on it I set the timing a bunch of times and it would run ok till I gave it some throttle then it would throw the timing off again I bought a new tensioner hoping to fix the problem and it didn't I parked it until I finish other things I have going on I didn't get to put many miles on it since I bought it kinda a buzz kill

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Subscribed... I planned on installing my upgraded CCT in my Senna this summer... so this should be interesting to see how that aftermarket one works out for you.

1 - 20 of 163 Posts