MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got around to replacing mine with the upgraded version on my 05 F4 and although it was only 4 notches out, I couldn't push the little spring backed notch (circled in red) to move the lever. In fact, I can't move the lever at all, no matter what I do. It seems like it's stuck. Was that good for the engine while it was in there? Thanks, Art

Attachments

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
The spring shouldn't protrude like that. It is supposed to work like a ratchet, allowing the notched shaft to move out but not back in. Had the same issue, replaced the tensioner, no ongoing problems.

·
Premium Member
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I apologize, that's not my image. Here's mine. Didn't think it would make a difference. Basically, I'm wondering if this is the cause of what sounds like flapping/fluttering lifters that I've noticed for the past 500 miles or so.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
The noticeable symptom is usually more mechanical noise than usual and some vibration felt through the throttle when you throttle off.
Under the bolt there should be a rod and spring to push the plunger out. Then the ratchet stops it going back in and allowing the chain to get too loose.
No real damage would have occurred unless the chain stretched enough to jump teeth and upset the valve timing. There is a specific procedure to change the tensioner that must be followed. If you haven't already done it, get a manual off Donsy's website.

Btw, there has been a number of threads on the differences between the old style and new style tensioners. The old ones were prone to breakages, causing major damage. Do your research re fitment issues of the new tensioner in older engines.

·
Premium Member
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, it was for that reason (more noise) that I decided to do the upgrade. I used the Tamburini part and unlike someone else on here, I had no issues with fitment that I could tell, nor did I have to shim or shave the part to get it in properly (used gold colored bolt). Ian's excellent writeup was my guide and I sort of expected the engine noise to go away. It hasn't, after about 3 starts and 30 miles today.

·
Premium Member
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wasn't aware of the increased vibration on down throttle as a symptom. I'll definitely start monitoring that beginning with tomorrow's ride. Thank you

·
Premium Member
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Slapping noises diminished slightly and no issues otherwise so I guess all is well in there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts