MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hit by a car recently and broke my collar bone. However, that is not why I am writing you now. My insurance adjusters are having "difficulty" determining the value of my:

2004 MV Agusta
Brutale ORO

There are only 27 in the US and only 300 ever made. This is not a "KIT" bike. Rather, it is the only special edition Brutale to date. MSRP as I'm sure you have seen is ~29K and some change (That's in American Dollars).

Because of this accident a few pieces of the bike need to be replace, more on that later if you really want to know....long shitty story.

My adjuster has been calling non-stop to dealers that have never sold n ORO Brutale. A manager at some random shop said it's worth 14K. SERIOULSY A BRUTALE ORO IS NOT WORTH SO LITTLE. Keep in mind all the carbon fiber and Magnesium Alloy parts alone!! I told him " that is way under worth and I'm worried that this new value of about 14k will total out the bike when you seek repairs. Or in the future should and if a serious accident were to happen the bike value would be essentially approved at a prior date at only 14K.

I'm calling on you forum for your help! If you know anyone that knows the value of this bike to date, please post his thoughts. Anyone for that matter please chime in on how much you would pay personally, and how much you think it's worth assuming the right buyer is in waiting. The bike was bought 1 year ago, NEW with warranty from the KC international. I have about 1,200 miles on it or so. As some of you already know. I keep it in my living room with at battery trickle charger year round. Safe from the weather and sneaky neighborhood kids.

Please keep in mind: I'm using this a a means to generate variability in worth but such variability in worth that far supersedes the insultingly low initial appraisal.

And for those who remember me, I'm now back in school at the university of Kentucky as a second year grad student working on my PhD. in Anatomy and Neurobiology. My research focuses on Traumatic Brain Injury whose challenges I have personally treated and suffered from my combat experience in Iraq in 2005 as a Combat Medic. Blah Blah Blah....I just need help getting an idea on how much this is worth! Any ideas welcome, pic avail on request too.

Thank you all so much--you havent let me down yet!

Johnny

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
As you just recently bought the bike, can't you document the value based on what you paid? Furthermore, we all clamored over the bike and your purchase here when it was bought. Find the old thread, print it out, and show it to the adjuster.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Also, reference that the Barber museum has a twin to yours on display.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Glad you're ok--hopefully the bike can be repaired, hate to see one less Oro.

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts
Sorry that I have no input as to as estimate of the value of the bike.
I'm just glad you are alive. This could have been a tragedy.

I did see a Brutie Oro in Michigan in 2006. New in it's crate at this dealership:
http://www.ttmducati.com/index.php?option=com_contact&Itemid=26
So they will have sold one and may have an opinion on it's current value.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not one less oro! It still lives. As soon as I get the pictures, I'll show the damages. The frame sliders took it all (motovation did a great job). But the foot break scraped and pushed a nick in the magnesium frame, just aft of the tubular frame (have no idea what its called). Anyway, that piece was 3,700 $ alone. The CRC sticker fell off from the gas tank....very odd. And the SPU went berserk and melted. That was a manufacture's warranty fix. Had the magnesium frame not been removable they would have totaled the bike. The damage is literally the size of a finger nail clipping.

Ohh and the Veteran's Affairs (I'm a combat vet) canceled my surgery and I have a horrid protuberance projecting out of my shoulder. They didn't have "surgical time" for me. :jerkoff: So I got a second opinion from University Healthcare and I was reprimanded for not going there first! Now I have to wait until the bone fuses completely (in an akward fashion) so it can be re-broken and set.

Anyway, Thank you for your input on the bike guys. I'll call that shop and send the adjuster the info on the barber museum. Oh, side note when I bought the bike for 16K; that was under a serious discount. My dear ole dad just got an '07 F4 from KC International and we became friends with Kemal (owner) while dad was undergoing cancer therapy. Dad, my brother, and I went to the shop often to get away. The same day I bought it, an offer was given for 20K. I know it sounds like BS but that's what happened. :)

I promise...pictures later. You'll be shocked at the damage, or lack thereof considering I was side swiped from behind on a one way street. Seriously, anyone who rides the street buy frame sliders.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
John is correct. I hate to burst your bubble but the fact that the suggested retail on that bike was $30000 6 years ago is irrelevant today. A 2004 Brutale 750 is worth around $4000. Yours is worth more because of the magnesium. No one cares or should care only 27 were imported. If all that is wrong is a scrape on the midframe plate, do the right thing and tell them that's all you want replaced. They will probably gladly replace that part. And a brake lever is $60.

Then you don't have to worry about the $14,000 which in my opinion, is likely the correct price for that bike.

There is a forum member here selling the magnesium frame plates for for about $1800 for both.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
As you just recently bought the bike, can't you document the value based on what you paid? Furthermore, we all clamored over the bike and your purchase here when it was bought. Find the old thread, print it out, and show it to the adjuster.
Actually, I went back to your first thread where several of us suggested that you reconsider riding your investment bike at the risk of just such an accident. I am so sorry that you have suffered from this unfortunate incident.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
John is correct. I hate to burst your bubble but the fact that the suggested retail on that bike was $30000 6 years ago is irrelevant today. A 2004 Brutale 750 is worth around $4000. Yours is worth more because of the magnesium. No one cares or should care only 27 were imported. If all that is wrong is a scrape on the midframe plate, do the right thing and tell them that's all you want replaced. They will probably gladly replace that part. And a brake lever is $60.

Then you don't have to worry about the $14,000 which in my opinion, is likely the correct price for that bike.

There is a forum member here selling the magnesium frame plates for for about $1800 for both.
You're probably right. Thank you.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually, I went back to your first thread where several of us suggested that you reconsider riding your investment bike at the risk of just such an accident. I am so sorry that you have suffered from this unfortunate incident.
I feel like shit. And, I'm embarrassed.

I'm just a kid getting drunk off of Dom Perignon.

Thank you for trying.

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way, or even personally, maybe just a lesson to others reading, but as soon as you put mile 1 on that bike it became simply an '04 Brutale with 'upgrades', the upgrades only worth their own depreciated value (not their replacement value).
If you wanted it to hold its value, it needed to have 0 miles.

·
Administrator
20,093 Posts
I, for one, am glad you used the bike....and am truly sorry about the spill, and hope your collar bone heals up OK (ask CAG about the surgery).....but it IS repairable and so have the insurance repair it. The fact it is an actual original Oro still makes it more valuable then standard bikes, simply for the provenance.

Call the Barber museum and ask to speak with the curator, Jeff Ray, for some ideas of values.

And then consider getting an insurance policy for "Collectors"....several companies offer collectable vehicle insurance that will set a value on the bike as part of the policy.

·
Registered
456 Posts
don't worry its only a motorcycle, its meant to be ridden, so you need to repair it now, it sucks it will cost money but great motorcycles are meant to be ridden, and its better that you actually ride the thing and use it rather than just look at in the living room.

as one poster said on this board "not riding a nice motorcycle, is like dating a supermodel and not sleeping with her so that she is in great condition for the next boyfriend" (I thought that was a hilarious line but so true)

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
My point wasn't to not ride it--Just that once he did its value as a 'collectible' (or at least an 'investment') went in the toilet.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
just glad to hear you're ok bud....take care

·
Registered
204 Posts
My point wasn't to not ride it--Just that once he did its value as a 'collectible' (or at least an 'investment') went in the toilet.
I disagree - plenty of bikes that have been well ridden have retained their collect-ability and their value...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts