I wish motorist could be educated on a yearly basis. Good luck on HW4 and HW580, HW80, and HW237 here in Northern Cali as they are blind.I agree that plenty is common sense, but good to know what the CHP is thinking. I particularly like the last part of the article:
Messages for Other Vehicle Drivers
1) Lane splitting by motorcycles is not illegal in California when done in a safe and prudent manner.
2) Motorists should not take it upon themselves to discourage motorcyclists from lane splitting.
3) Intentionally blocking or impeding a motorcyclist in a way that could cause harm to the rider is illegal (CVC 22400).
4) Opening a vehicle door to impede a motorcycle is illegal (CVC 22517).
5) Never drive while distracted.
6) You can help keep motorcyclists and all road users safe by
Checking mirrors and blind spots, especially before changing lanes or turning
Signaling your intentions before changing lanes or merging with traffic
Allowing more following distance, three or four seconds, when behind a motorcycle so the motorcyclist has enough time to maneuver or stop in an emergency