MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I'm moving back to my hometown of Orange County to work on a business project...the wife will stay back here in the short term so I will be away from the two loves of my life...the wife and the MV! :bawling: I have to leave so abruptly, I don't have time to plan for shipping it or anything... :cry:

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
cool. welcome back!
not sure how long ago you left, but be prepared for the following:
gas prices
housing costs
traffic

that said, i like living here - all season riding, more race tracks within 2-3 hr drive than pretty much anywhere in the USA, lane splitting, and some of the best sport riding roads in the world.

alex

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
man...before i even got to ride with you. oh well, enjoy yourself. would you like me to ride your SPR and give you weekly evaluation reports?

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
outtadaloop said:
Guys I'm moving back to my hometown of Orange County to work on a business project...the wife will stay back here in the short term so I will be away from the two loves of my life...the wife and the MV! :bawling: I have to leave so abruptly, I don't have time to plan for shipping it or anything... :cry:
how long wll you be there?
ship your bike.... if you'll have ANY time to ride it.... you HAVE to have it there
it isn't that expensive to shipt that bike
you might be surprised

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
798 Posts
Ah, I see what you are getting at.
Sure, if you need someone to care for your SPR I guess I can halp out.
I can drive down this weekend to pick it up, just say the word.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the babysitting offers guys but I'll try to find some time to ship it. I'll probably use Forward Air because DAS (or should I say 1800 Haulbikes) was a nightmare the last time I used them. Anyone have experiences with Forward Air?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I used haulbikes, they were fine except for the lack of communication with me and the seller and the transit time, it took almost 2 months. I also used forward air when I bought my Aprilia from a guy in Florida. They were fine, quick and easy. Brought a license and signed paperwork and they moved the container to an empty space, I unlocked it reconnected the battery and drove off. Just make sure you know how to tie it down correctly and don't go cheap on the the tie down straps!! All they do is transport the container, you provide everything else, the tie down straps and padlocks for both doors.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the feedback guys. I've never tied a bike down to anything before, do you have any tips that you could pass along? (ie.. what tie downs to buy, where to attach them to the bike/container etc..)

Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
You can find everything you need at lockitt:

1 canyon dancer for the clip ons
http://www.lockitt.com/AccessTieDown1.htm#canyondancer

2 Hogg saver ratcheting tie downs to secure the canyon dancer to floor
http://www.lockitt.com/AccessTieDown1.htm#hogsaver

2 cam lock or ratcheting tie downs for rear (small is fine)
http://www.lockitt.com/AccessTieDown1.htm#premium

Note that the above cam lock link I put in includes little extensions sewn to the tie down to wrap around your subframe or footrest so the hook does not touch your bike directly.

It's an easy operation but have a helper. I'll describe the process next (have to go check all the rest of my 'new posts' before they time out and I lose my place haha)

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
If you use forward air go inside to their office and tell them about your arrangement. They'll put the box on the ground and give you an area to load up.

Front:

-Put the bike in so it's aligned and on kickstand

-Put the canyon dancer on taking care that the straps don't stress your switchgear on either clip on. The fleece sleeve will protect the ohlins and tank.

-Hook the right side hogsaver up to the ground anchor point and stretch to hook the canyon dancer (right side is easiest since it's the farthest stretch for the tie down)

-Hook the left side hogsaver and allow enough slack so that when the bike is righted there is still a bit of slack

-Pull through the webbing slack on the ratcheting mechanism for the right side and then start ratcheting to right the bike. Make sure the front wheel stays straight once tight

-when you have the bike approx vert take up the slack on the left side

-Alternate ratcheting to keep the bike level. Keep the wheel straight

-Compress the forks down so there is still plenty of travel left but it's solid. Probably +10cm or so. You want it very stable when you try to push it side to side but still enough give so that you don't blow your fork seals

Now for the Rear:

The tie down link I gave was for tie downs which have a little extension past the buckle on one side. Hook the OTHER side to the floor anchor.

-Run the little extension either through the footrest triangle or the small bit of subframe showing below the seat.

-Do the same for the left side. Ensure you don't pull so hard so as to misalign the bike but hard enough to keep the rear end from moving during transport

Our tow truck has about 58000miles on it and about 42,000 are towing. 38,000miles or so of that are towing our bikes in the last three years. One mishap but it wasn't my trailer or my doing and luckily just a minor leaning issue resulting in a skuff on mirror lower. The below is our usual setup and so far, knock-knock, no problems.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
chris is right - lots of MV owners here.

but oddly, no shops! we 1/2 way between two - Pro Italia in Glendale, and GP Motors in San Diego.

maybe i should open a shop?

MV OC?
OC MV?

alex

1 - 19 of 19 Posts