MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a secondhand ST4s today :) and p/exed the VFR for it. :bawling: I guess I should have bought a Duke in the first place (sorry Ian). :jsm: There's nothing wrong with the VFR, it just doesn't ring my bell and I wanted a bike with a decent pillion seat so QED. It's an '02 and part of the deal is the dealer changes the belts and gives the bike it's 6000 mile service. It's done about 5500 miles BTW. They had a limited edition Matrix 998 and a few other niceys I could have spent some pennies on too. Ahh well. I guess the Ti pipes for my F4 will just have to wait a bit longer. :wave:

I pick up the Duke in a couple of weeks and will post some pictures then. :) At least I don't need to go on that VFR forum again (squids) :jerkoff:

I got these photos off the dealers website. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
798 Posts
Great bike! Too bad they discontinued that model. Let us know your riding impression. Before I bought the Brutale I was considering this bike.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Wow, congrats John :)
I hear they are great tourers but handle very greatly :naughty:

Let us know what you think of it when you have the chance to ride it :smoking:

·
Registered
459 Posts
Don't be sorry John ,I'm glad I still have mine. Good move getting the service done.
Dont know about the decent pillion seat but the riders part of it is a pain in the ass after an hour or so unfortunately. The later model addresses all my moans about the bike, better lights, fairing , seat and higher bars.
The Fazer is a much better bike in everything apart from handling and making you feel good . The ST makes me work a bit harder ,more gearchanges keeping it in the sweet zone ,it just eats roads, perfect tool up here. Watch for the chain adjusters working loose, thats happened to me and also on my pals bike .
Ive done around 4k since getting it and now love it apart from riding home at night after 300 miles or so with a sore arse.
Enjoy!

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Ian, I'm told the lights are crap, is that true? I have been using my VFR to commute to work and I intend to use the ST in the same manner which means quite a bit of night riding at this time of year.

·
Registered
459 Posts
The dip unit is same as MV . I set mine high which then has main beam plane spotting ,it would be nice if you could set them individually and get rid of the gap between the beam's. Want to share an HID buy?

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

·
Registered
459 Posts
http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk
They have offer on HID kits and will sell also as a bike kit so £115 .
I looked through a fair amount of options.Ducati sell upgrade ,read top half of the updated model and a comfort kit seat and bars, lost interest after veiwing price. It would
be cheaper to trade to later bike.
I can live with the lights ,just have to slow down a bit . First thing I'll change will be the seat ,then have a go at making some plates to lift the bars.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Congrats on the ST4s. It was my introduction to the product from Bologna and while other bikes have come and gone, this ST4s picked up five years ago remains. Zero issues. A relaxed Superbike with bags. IMO, the finest sport tourer around with the emphasis on sport.

A

·
0 Posts
THATS FUNNY FROM GREG
"sorry for the late repsonse"
what a great guy he is always wanting to respond to people
congrats on the bike mate

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sfarson said:
Congrats on the ST4s. It was my introduction to the product from Bologna and while other bikes have come and gone, this ST4s picked up five years ago remains. Zero issues. A relaxed Superbike with bags. IMO, the finest sport tourer around with the emphasis on sport.

Thats a nice picture of the view with your bike at the side Steve, where is that exactly?

·
Registered
576 Posts
John, The image is from nearby 3050m Kenosha Pass in central Colorado. Below, on a winter's day I went down and parked in front of the Mosquito Range.

macmivvi... The seat is a Sargent seat. Also have a Corbin. The Sargent is lighter, softer, but gives less room to the rider/more pillion. The Corbin is more firm, heavier, with less pillion room, more pilot room.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Here's mine

Attachments

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice :smoking: I like the red wheels. What make are those exhaust cans Mika?

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I poked my head out of the window this morning, looking anxiously for signs of the rain that had been forecast, but thankfully the sky, although rather grey, showed not signs of dropping any precipitation. :jsm: After waiting for the morning rush hour traffic to die down, I set off on my last ride on the VFR to the dealership where my ST4s was ready and waiting. I'm usually quite sad on these occasions, I was certainly sorry to see my Evo III 750 F4 depart and the VFR too had wormed it's way into my affections although not quite to the same extent as the MV. :king:

As usual it performed faultlessly, starting at the touch of the button and carried me without any fuss or bother the 40 odd miles. I'm always a bit cautious when I've made a P/X agreement cos I obviously don't want to have any kind of incident on a bike that is technically sold.

Once at the dealers, the inevitable paperwork complete, I started up the ST and at once it felt like an old friend had returned home. I used to have a 996 and whilst the silencers on the ST make a good (perhaps too good) job of calming the V twin's bark compared to the Termis on my 996, the familiar growl and the rattle of the dry clutch brought back instant memories. :heart:

The sun even consented to shine at one point as I set off back home. The riding position is very similar to the VFR although the seat is harder and the tallish first gear meant for a little dexterity in urban driving conditions. I understand a common mod ST owners carry out is to fit a smaller front sprocket. I will wait for a while before making any changes I think. :idea:

Out of town, as you would expect, the big Duke gets into it's stride and although I was unfamiliar with the bike and the roads were greasy in places, it felt quite happy on the Pirelli Dragons and the suspension set up was OK although there is plenty to play with having the Ohlins unit at the rear and fully adjustable set up at the front. Brakes by Brembo are difficult to fault at any time and the ST set up is no exception. One thing I won't miss about the VFR is the linked braking set up, it was OK when you got used to it, but I prefer to be able to apply the rear brake on it's own for those odd times when you may be on a loose gravel road surface. :p

I ventured onto the motorway at one point and the ST seems very much at home there. The screen gives good wind protection and the bike was very stable. As with it's pedigree, I found it difficult to keep the bike at or below legal velocity and had to keep a close eye on the speedo to make sure I didn't attract the attention of the boys in blue. :stopp:

Pretty uneventful ride home really, the bike performed as I would have expected (that is perfectly) and I will have to put quite a few more miles under the wheels before I can make any reasoned comment as to the ST's tourer credentials.

I already know that (for me) the ST will be a more satisfying bike to ride around than the VFR, as I mentioned above, the VFR is a great bike but as with the F4 compared to the R1 or Blade or Gixxer thou, the Japanese offerings lack the soul of the Italian machinery IMO. I know a few of the guys here at mvagusta.net have the ST4s and of course a MV too, all I can say is that I feel like a dog with two tails at the moment cos I've got my Fire engine MV and now I've got a thumping big V twin to keep it company in the garage. Marvellous. :) :smoking:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,486 Posts
Nice bike, John, and a great read...The 1995 Honda VFR was my very first bike to actually own new, and it still has a spot in my garage, and a place in the ride rotation, I just love it.

What struck me about what you wrote is the comparison of ST/VFR to the F4/Japanese sportbike, and contrasting soul...I get that, it makes sense, coming off of several Japanese sportbikes and into the world of MV.

I will choose to live vicariously through your new ride, as I still have my sights set on an Italian V4 due in late next summer, so my faithful Viffer remains. Keep us posted as the miles turn past.

Congrats on bringing home a very soulful machine. Enjoy it (them). Red, just like my VFR! :cool:

Griff
twoeleven

·
Registered
735 Posts
the cans came w/the bike when I bought it, but I think they're DP/Termi

ducati.ms has a good ST forum and a thread on pipes right now

1 - 20 of 23 Posts