MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys thing of the idea of buying a demo agusta with 100 miles on it.

I am talking mechanically.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Sergio

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Depending on what the deal is! Not sure I would buy a demo. I know what I'm like when I ride a demo. A lot of people do of course give the bike a bit of stick. Obviously, this is within the running in stage. However, 100 is not much milage. I know in the UK the dealers look to put on around 500 + miles before the bike is offered for sale.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I bought a demo. Was a great deal. Same warrentee as new. Mine had 1100 miles on it. Dealer did the first service. Still happy.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys...

I end up buying it anyway. It was torture just looking at it. '07 910R.

Thanks again.

serge

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you do not mind me asking what did the dealer charge you for the demo bike vs msrp.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
SGR said:
Thank you guys...

I end up buying it anyway. It was torture just looking at it. '07 910R.

Thanks again.

serge
Congradulations. If it make you feel better some dealer (like Pro Italia) do actually and properly break-in the demo bike themselves before they put it in their demo fleet. I know because I asked for a demo on a 1098 when they first got their but had to wait a few weeks till it was ready and got the first service.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Saved $3000 plus the service. I thought I wouldn't be so anal with a machine not in brand new condition. Im glad I went with the demo, even if it had the dog snot rung out of it. All the new bikes I bought I always fretted about the finish and stuff. I doubt it was beat any worse than when I took it out.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Congrats on the 910 R.
What color did you get? What mods are you thinking of getting?
I almost envy you that you have all these decisions ahead of you... but i dont envy your vallet. :)
Make Emoto your best friend.

Have fun, and welcome to the forum.

Rob

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
$ 1500 off msrp. It is black.

Regarding mods, I will have to keep reading what is everybody else is doing. I need to put some miles first so I can go over 6000 rpm. :(

·
Registered
64 Posts
Congratulations and welcome to the site. I just passed 1,500 miles on my new Brutale and love it more with every ride. The day you can roll past 6k will be an epiphany. This motor is simply amazing.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Congrats...modern manufacturing has rendered most of our "break in" notions obsolete. You actually need to push a modern engine to achieve adequate cylinder pressures in order to seat the rings for "break in". Avoid prolonged wide open throttle or excessive high RPM operation and you're good to go. A demo bike probably sees WOT for short duration...just what you want.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
SGR said:
I agree with you Mike. I dont know why the "break in" notion is still out there.

Any thoughts?
The Insurance liability.

Given the mind-numbing HP of most bikes sold and combine that with the inexperience of riders and the fact that there are virtually no skill requirements prior to purchase, can you imagine what the consequences would be if an owner's manual said:

"Aggressive break-in procedures will result in a motorcycle which will run better and deliver optimum horsepower. Use bursts of wide-open throttle to generate cylinder pressures required to properly seat piston rings." LOL

Lots of opinions on break-in. IME, you've got two things going on. First, high cylinder pressures are required to generate the forces that seat the piston rings. Piston rings are broken-in within just a few miles. That requires heavy loading via open throttle and too much of it generates heat, which is bad for the other parts that require break-in.

Bearings and load-bearing surfaces need a gradual break-in time and they want to avoid heat, the opposite of what the rings want. That's why, IMO, you CYCLE the break-in procedure. Short (15-20 minute) rides with bursts of aggressive throttle application then cool-down (motor off) periods in between. Rings get pressure, bearings don't get excessive heat. Some gurus recommend cool days for this sort of thing.

Note... with the close tolerances seen in present-day manufacturing, we don't need months of break-in time like in grandpa's day. One day - four to six cycles as above - and a couple days of short rides and in 150 miles you're done. Changing the oil at the first 150 mile mark is probably the best thing you can do. YMMV

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nicely said emmvee.
I was thinking of installing the race exhaust that came with the bike. Do I have to install the chip at the same time?
What kind of change will I see with just the pipes? Will the bike run as smooth ?

Thanks,

Serge

·
Registered
243 Posts
Thing with a Demo is that any warts the bike might have should have been found by now and taken care of by the dealer.

Should get the same warranty as a new bike, and it's partially broken in so you can go faster quicker.

But then, I always break one in the way I plan on riding it.

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
When I get my doctorate in mechanical engineering with a thesis in modern high performance engine wear factors I will begin to disregard what the guys who designed my bike say about break-in.

Read Kevin Cameron's articles for some real engineering advice on the subject.

If you plan to keep it, follow the manufacturer's recommendations. That said, I doubt the demo has been damaged, or it would be smoking and knocking. Regardless, if it was mine, I would pick up the manual's recommendations for the duration.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts