MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I'm looking at a 2001 f4 750 tomorrow and wondered if there is anything I should look out for. The owner says the bike is very clean and well looked after with a full history. I've just sold my 996 and ideally would have liked a 1000 but they're just a bit more than I can afford. Apart from crash damage and flip-up sidestand drops, anything I should be checking out? I live in Cambridge, UK by the way. Thanks for any advice. Oh and a new member by the way - nice to be aboard!

·
Registered
178 Posts
You have to look for the internal fairing heat protections, they fall down and the exhaust can damage the bellypan and right side pannel without immediate external looking effect.
Rear brake is often out of order.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Just the normal things to look for. I don't really know of any major things, I had one of these (now have a 1000). Check I guess it hasn't been fiddled with, and has had good oil used and regular services. Good luck, I came on to mine from a 916 Duke, and really enjoy the bike now. This is my third MV so good luck and enjoy.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Michael J said:
Hi, I'm looking at a 2001 f4 750 tomorrow and wondered if there is anything I should look out for. The owner says the bike is very clean and well looked after with a full history. I've just sold my 996 and ideally would have liked a 1000 but they're just a bit more than I can afford. Apart from crash damage and flip-up sidestand drops, anything I should be checking out? I live in Cambridge, UK by the way. Thanks for any advice. Oh and a new member by the way - nice to be aboard!
Hi Michael J,
I also place a down for a 2001 F4 750 and awaiting to collect it somewhere next week. The bike I view is in showroom conditions with 13K mileage.

I couldn't resist it and so the deal was done right there right then.
Can't wait for the bike to reach my parking lot.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
The rear brake likely won't work. Deal with it, it's not really fixable unless you go and relocate components.

Chain and sprockets are 520, so they don't last a really long time.

Look for oil coming out of the valve cover gasket and/or the head gasket. It's not a huge deal, but a possible bargaining point.

As far as the engine, I think there were reports of alternators which fail at high RPM, but mine is an '01 with 8500 miles and it hasn't been a problem.

Listen for ticking valves I guess... Like any other 4 cylinder engine.

Look for leakage around the water pump. Again, not a big deal, it's fixable.

If you ride it, these things feel pretty ungainly at low speed, and it's only made worse with a worn out front tire and/or low pressure in the tire. Feels really horrible at low speed, actually. Don't trap your thumbs at full lock, and notice that full lock isn't very much so don't drop it thinking it will turn tighter than it will...

(Brain dump incomplete, couldn't access memory blocked by constant use of certain beverages.)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. I didn't buy the bike.....it wasn't mint so still looking. I know bikes are meant to be ridden not polished to death but how some people can let such a great looking machine get so shabby is beyond me.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Michael J said:
Thanks for the replies. I didn't buy the bike.....it wasn't mint so still looking. I know bikes are meant to be ridden not polished to death but how some people can let such a great looking machine get so shabby is beyond me.
Welcome Michael.
Well i guess that was for the best because a battered MV is a no no :stickpoke .
If you can try to find a 1000 in your price range, but a mint 750 will be great too, i guess.
Good luck for your search. :smoking:

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I think you are wise not to buy the first bike you saw Micheal, especially as it appeared tatty. No one should have a tatty MV it's not allowed :stickpoke Seriously, I can't really add to the advice the other guys have already given. 750 F4's still aren't plentiful in the UK but they are around if you look hard enough. With 1000S models being sold for less than 10K new, you should get a nice 750 for 6 - 7K. I think a 2001 model will not have the Evo motor and I would suggest one of these if your budget allows because the extra HP is definitely worth the extra initial outlay. Nice to have you on board, we seem to have lots of Brits here now which is great. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi David

I'll get in touch as soon as the right bike presents itself. I have to fly out of Stansted every week to somewhere or other so I know your part of the world well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts