MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm a newbie but a long-time lurker because I have a thing for MVs. Tomorrow, I'm planning on bringing one home to join my two Triumph's in the garage. This one felt like a deal I couldn't pass up. I went and looked at it yesterday and it seems immaculate. It's a completely stock 2006 F41000S with 2,045 miles and the agreed-to price is $10.5k.

If you have a chance, I'd love to hear you guys sound off on what I should be thinking about for the pre-purchase inspection in the morning and what you think about the price. The one thing I don't like is the lack of service records. The guy I'm buying from didn't ever ride it... he didn't even register it. The bike has the same miles as when the title was signed over to him. I don't know a thing about the first owner who put the 2,000 miles on it.

Thanks in advance. I hope to be a part of the crowd tomorrow.

Cheers,

Andy

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Looks lovely and it sounds like a great deal :smoking:
But has that bike never been registered at all or hasn't been registered by the last owner?
If it was never registered at all it probably was a track only bike.
Still, if it's has good as it looks, just get the damn thing and enjoy :f4:
BTW, welcome and congrats.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the nice welcome.

Yes, it was registered in Florida... I'm in Texas. I can't find any indication that it was ever safety-wired, but that doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't on the track.

I'd sure like to know if it was dealer-serviced so I could ask them what, if anything, has been done.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Well, it probably hasn't been tracked then. But even if it were it doesn't mean anything. As long as it has been properly maintained.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Looks very nice, I see it's got clear lenses on the front indicators and rear light, are there any other mods?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
See... that's why I'm here. I didn't even know that was a mod. I'm not aware of any other after-market bits, but clearly that doesn't mean much. :)

The seller says it's all stock.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, it probably hasn't been tracked then. But even if it were it doesn't mean anything. As long as it has been properly maintained.
I wish I knew if it was properly maintained. It "looks" cherry. And the rubber is OEM with what looks like 2,000 miles of wear. They're scrubbed all the way to the edge; somebody was leaning it over, but it's not the kind of wear you'd expect from lots of track use.

I dunno... I expect I'll take a chance on it. Can anybody recommend a good MV tech in the Houston area?

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
It has a carbon fiber rear hugger too.

I'd like to know how hot it gets after idling for about 5 minutes in the Texas heat. I'd also like to know the condition of the radiator to make sure there are no cracks. A pre-inspection should take care of that.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
From the rest of your photos, the bike looks pretty much standard Andy apart from the stuff we've already mentioned. Someone has been 'riding' it though, there are no chicken strips on the rear tyre:f4:

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
One can never be positive from pics alone, but the bike appears to be in excellent stock condition. As stated, the hugger is extra and the tail and mirror lenses are add ons.

That is a very attractive price for the bike. I assume it has a clear, not branded title.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Allen, it stayed pretty cool on the 7-8 minute ride I took. No leaks and the radiator looks almost new... but I'll make sure they give a look on the pre-purchase.

You're right about the rear rubber, John. There's even some built-up melted rubber on the edges from some good slides through the corners. But, that's what they're built for, right?

He's got a clear blue title... no liens... no salvage. We're going to go to the county and transfer title in the morning, so if that goes well I'll be updating the registry tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again for the feedback, guys. I brought it home today.

... anybody want a Triumph Daytona 955i? :)

I'm off to scan the forum now... I've got a hundred questions and I bet most of them have already been asked and answered.

Cheers,

Andy

·
Registered
5,387 Posts

I'm off to scan the forum now... I've got a hundred questions and I bet most of them have already been asked and answered.

Cheers,

Andy

Hehehe, you did get it!
Congrats!! :f4: :yo:

·
Registered
5,600 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks for the heads-up, Max V.

OK guys... in a fit of adrenaline induced insanity, I put almost 300 miles on this thing in the last two days and – HOLY CRAP – I’ve got a severe case of the monkey butt! Jesus, that seat is hard. Now… I hardly noticed because I was distracted by the cramps in my face from all the smiling, but still; something’s gotta be done. I also want to lift the bars up a little to unload my wrists.

Also, thanks to The_castle, fazer6 & CAG for their help on johnyrottin's thread regarding how to fix the monster fuel leak I have under the tank now. I’ve pushed the F4 into the back of the garage and given my Triumph a stay of execution until I get some new fuel couplings.

One question for anyone who wants to answer: Do I buy the couplings from RyanHerco or Omega? I'd love it if somebody wanted to give me the parts numbers. I'm going to replace all the couplings while I'm at it, since it sounds like they're a problem. My leak is coming from the supply line coupling just downstream of the fuel pump, it looks like. The elbow's not broken, it's leaking where the coupling meets the tank.

·
Registered
225 Posts

Cheers,

Andy

Congrats brother. At least you're one of a few people who have gone on this forum and actually bought an MV after saying you were going to. Enjoy it!!!

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Congrats brother. At least you're one of a few people who have gone on this forum and actually bought an MV after saying you were going to. Enjoy it!!!
At least he is also one that got lucky to find a perfect bike for a perfect price...but don't get me wrong...I am still working on it too...

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Yes; the F4's seat can be a bit of a ball breaker. Why not check out one of Ade Critten's fancy bum parks. I've got a Alcantara MV Corse one myself, it's marginally comfier than the original, but if you are doing big road mileage you're backside is going to suffer! Re the fuel leak, are the 'O' rings on the fittings knackered?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts