MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive got my sights on a 16 Lusso. pretty sure i'm going to buy it. 6 k miles on the clock. so what is the actual clutch failure mechanism? all the clutches i'm familiar with are pretty simple. is it a failure of the master or slave cylinder or something else? ive been reading but nobody has described what is actually going on

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Clutch failure? There are sometimes, rarely, issues with the clutch pressure switch. The slipper clutch, I believe it's that, has occasional odd behaviour pulling away when hot. The bite point can be a bit strange with a bit of give at the lever. There was a service bulletin with some new parts for the clutch. Didn't seem to make any difference to mine. None of these detract from the bike and as a list make it sound bad, which it isn't. Up and down quick shifter makes the clutch redundant a lot of the time.

Test ride the bike and make your own mind up.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have a 2016 Lusso with 8000 miles on it and have never had any type of clutch problem. There was a service bulletin issued by MV that required installation of revised rubber clutch basket dampeners which was done to my bike. This seemed to quiet the clutch down a bit while riding at very low rpm. From my perspective, nothing is going on.

If the bike you are considering purchasing has warranty, that should help with some peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Ah, starter clutch. OK, as said above I haven't heard of one going on a Turismo yet, though that obviously doesn't mean it hasn't happened. Decent battery maintenance I believe to be key to this. Use the included battery render or even better buy a LiPo battery, along with a suitable tender for stronger starting. The TV uses the same starter clutch as the other MV triples so it is theoretically a weak point although it will be one of the more recent designs.

·
Registered
217 Posts
That is interesting that one dealer has had three issues and replacements.

What is the name of the dealer that did the work? Sounds like they are experienced in this issue.

Was your TV a 2015 or 2016?

By your previous post "Bet someone mentioned a starter sprague clutch failure ...... happens but general opinion is mostly related to battery status." It sounded like you were making reference to someone else making this claim, not yourself.

·
Registered
443 Posts
That is interesting that one dealer has had three issues and replacements.

What is the name of the dealer that did the work? Sounds like they are experienced in this issue.

Was your TV a 2015 or 2016?

By your previous post "Bet someone mentioned a starter sprague clutch failure ...... happens but general opinion is mostly related to battery status." It sounded like you were making reference to someone else making this claim, not yourself.
Tampa Eurocycle, 2016, was a pretty simple process, they already had a replacement starter clutch in stock, and they knew enough about it to recommend I get a Lithium battery.

Only other warranty problem I had they also had already seen on other MV's - fuel level sensor failure, and also handled it promptly with no hassle. :)

·
Super Moderator
22,314 Posts
You have to compare CCA and Amp-hours to get the best battery for you.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Buy it! I just bought another KTM 300XC, this one for one of my boys, and figured out why I love the TVL so much. It is like riding a two and four stroke at the same time. I know this sounds weird, but If you have ridden both, I think you know what I am talking about.

People that have problems with the TVL, mostly have the same repairs; fuel sensor, clutch switch, sprag and water in the rear turn signals. The bike is way worth it.:shocker:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts