MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all,
i am a new member from athens, greece

i am thinking of entering the mv family by buying a used brutale 910r with nearly 24.000km already done. do you have experienced any serious technical problems which will cost me a lot of money fixing them and send me all the time at local service?:)

anyway, i have fallen in love with this bike...

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
hello all,

i am thinking of entering the mv family by buying a used brutale 910r with nearly 24.000km already done. do you have experienced any serious technical problems which will cost me a lot of money fixing them and send me all the time at local service?:)

Welcome! what year is the bike you are looking at?

·
Administrator
20,060 Posts
I have that model...mine is a 2008 (USA spec was always 1 year after Europe)....absolutely no problems (doing the prescribed service intervals) in 15,000 miles.

It's a great bike !!!

·
Registered
786 Posts
Earlier Brutes had one fan on the radiator, - if this model is so and you live in a hot area then worth keeping an eye on the temp guage while taking a test ride through some stop-start traffic to see if the temp stays below 100. I think 910R's all had two fans anyway so no worries if it has.

Some MV's have rear hubs that randomly fail, but to be honest there is no easy way for you to check this out anyway so its down to luck. Happens rare enough that its not worth worrying over.

I think thats about it basically. So a damn reliable bike in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Earlier Brutes had one fan on the radiator, - if this model is so and you live in a hot area then worth keeping an eye on the temp guage while taking a test ride through some stop-start traffic to see if the temp stays below 100. I think 910R's all had two fans anyway so no worries if it has.
My 06 910R has just one large fan. But as soon as it gets to 75/80C it comes on and never gets over 100.

Some MV's have rear hubs that randomly fail, but to be honest there is no easy way for you to check this out anyway so its down to luck. Happens rare enough that its not worth worrying over.
As above, there is no full-proof way of guarding against this... but a good thing todo is to get in the habit of just checking the rear hub temp immediately after each med/large ride. You do this by just putting your hand on the back part of the swing-arm. It should feel like warm/hot running water (55-60 degrees i believe) to the touch - but you should still be able to keep your hand on. If it feels any hoter then stop and do not ride it any further.

A couple of other things are:

The SPU/CDI (relay box) is faulty and can fail. But i think the 07-09 (??) bikes had the new designed SPU/CDI so in your case it is not a problem.

Check your chain often to make sure that it is tensioned correctly. This is one of the biggest reasons why a hub fails.

When you get tyres changed or for any reason you get the rear wheel taken off... WATCH personally the mechanic put it back on and torque the rear wheel nuts up to 220-240 nm. I have found that in my area, many bike shops dont own a torque wrench capable of providing 240 nm of torque... so what they do is use their 200nm torque wrench, and "guess" the extra - not good enough.

·
Administrator
20,060 Posts
Do NOT overtighten the chain, then you will have no hub bearing problems (well...don't pressure was the hub either)....this bike has 2 fans...Brutales do not overheat anyway. SPU was improved from prior to this model.

Great bike. No problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you guys! useful info!!

a mechanic told me that it might have problems with the relay box, it just goes down and then it needs replacement costing around 400 euros...(at least in greece!)

·
Administrator
20,060 Posts
thank you guys! useful info!!

a mechanic told me that it might have problems with the relay box, it just goes down and then it needs replacement costing around 400 euros...(at least in greece!)

That is the SPU (also known erroneously called CDI at one time). No worries on this bike.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
It looks like someone has removed the catalytic converter. Are those the off road slip ons or the stock?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
It looks like someone has removed the catalytic converter. Are those the off road slip ons or the stock?
From the photo i think they are stock ones.

·
Administrator
20,060 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
hello all,

I'm a frequent visitor of your city, great place to own a motorcycle, especially one like this. Had this bike a few years ago, great bike. Don't be afraid to soften the suspension for city riding, it won't affect the handling too much.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts