MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yup, they got me...Ticketed for "Traveling more than 200 feet in a shared left-hand turn lane". Now here's the interesting stuff:

1) I have a perfect riding/driving record, so I can go to traffic school, pay my $151.00 fine, and it goes away. BUT, if I choose that, I will HAVE to fight the next one, 18 months before school is an option again.

2) Whether I actually travelled 200+ feet is a debatable item, I went back with a tape and measured...I was a little long, but you try and judge 200 feet rolling off under you!!! And the officer was oncoming!

3) Although my offense is written on the ticket, verbatim as stated above, the officer used THE WRONG CALIFORNIA VEHICLE CODE for the violation!!! I referenced it online, he was way off. The California VC violation number he wrote on my ticket states NOTHING about 200 feet in a shared lane, it pertains to a three lane rural road where the center lane may be used for passing only. I later found the correct violation code, but I'm keeping that info to myself.

Should I take my "get out of jail free" card and go to traffic school? Or shouid I go to court and hope the judge has no mercy on the officer for his inability to correctly cite his customer? If it is dismissed, or as a fallback, if I can demonstrate that I was right at about 200 feet, I can keep my next ticket for traffic school.

Please give me your thoughts, or if anyone has ever fought a ticket with errant VC info, please share that story, how did it go?

Thanks,

Griff
twoeleven

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
Griff,

1. i'm sorry you had this experience.... it sucks

2. what is your PREVIOUS experience with LEOs? you say that you NEVER have been stopped? if so, then just do the ONLINE school and be done with it. fighthing tickets takes time, causes anxiety, and the cases are usually lost, even if the LEO used the wrong VC code..... courts HATE MOTORCYCLISTS... it's always been that way.... not because of you or me.... but all those "squids" who F___ it up for the rest of us

my advice:
school and forget it
fight the next one..... IF there is a next one

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it is the center lane of a two-way road in California, it is 200 feet.

I forgot to mention, I was in my cage at the time, not on a bike, so MC biases shouldn't be a factor, otherwise, I would agree with you Spalding...I have been stopped before, not in a long time however, but I have always done the school to keep my record clean.

Griff
twoeleven

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have to agree with Greg in that we have the disadvantage by association... and the judge will always favor the officer. So my advice is this:

1) If you have the time.. go to court.. if the officer even arrives then you'll ask for traffic school... IF the officer doesnt arrive you automatically get the ticket erased. It has happened to me... but it's not the rule.

or

2) Get it wiped off in traffic school now since in all reality.. with normal life it might be another 18 months or more before you get your next violation. Take your credit now.. not later.

I dont suggest you fight it since he WILL win if he is there.

So.. thats my experience/suggestion

·
Registered
409 Posts
spalding12 said:
Griff,

1. i'm sorry you had this experience.... it sucks

2. what is your PREVIOUS experience with LEOs? you say that you NEVER have been stopped? if so, then just do the ONLINE school and be done with it. fighthing tickets takes time, causes anxiety, and the cases are usually lost, even if the LEO used the wrong VC code..... courts HATE MOTORCYCLISTS... it's always been that way.... not because of you or me.... but all those "squids" who F___ it up for the rest of us

my advice:
school and forget it
fight the next one..... IF there is a next one
i agree 100 percent .

its so bad in my part of florida the police will sneek up behind u an take ur key out of ur bike while ur at a stop light to issue u a ticket .

when it happend to me i almost grabed the cop cus i thought i was getting robbed , but as i went to grab him i saw a gun out of the corner of my eye an then things got bad .

all of that for a improperly mounted tag . it was at 70 degrees to the ground not 90 . the police are so confused an pissed at everyone who runs from them the openly violates the laws , the rest of our rights are takin from us , to try an show they are wighting tickets to people on bikes , an the cituation isnt out of control for them .

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
twoeleven said:
If it is the center lane of a two-way road in California, it is 200 feet.

I forgot to mention, I was in my cage at the time, not on a bike, so MC biases shouldn't be a factor, otherwise, I would agree with you Spalding...I have been stopped before, not in a long time however, but I have always done the school to keep my record clean.

Griff
twoeleven
ah....
car, not bike
i do understand

many years ago i went through a stage when i got QUITE A FEW speeding tickets... about 20 years ago

i once went to driviing school... and when i entered the room, the instrutor, who was also a cop making some extra money said:

"hey doc, do you want your USUAL seat?"

in florida....
you can go to court and request driving school BEFORE you are legally allowed to attend...
that's how i went
so...
you can fight the next ticket... but, i'm sure that you can argue to the judge about going to driving school again

and....
for folks worried about a few hundred more in insurance cost because of a ticket...

well....
you don't think twice about spending 2K on aftermarket bike parts... so, $300.00 for more insurance won't hurt too badly, now will it?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
503 Posts
I haven't had a ticket in years but I used to appear when I got one. There's always the possibility that the officer won't show up and you win by default. In one case I proved mathmatically that the officer couldn't possibly have paced me at 60mph as he said. I lost.

·
Premium Member
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
TheCatWhisperer said:
What does that mean?

Si
I was on a four lane street, two lanes in each direction. In this case, there are many business driveways along both sides of the street, so there is a center lane which you may enter, up to 200 feet before you make a left-hand turn across the oncoming lanes. Some people call this the suicide lane, it is quite common in Los Angeles. You cannot just drive along in this lane, you can ONLY use it to clear your lanes while waiting to turn left, this way, traffic keeps flowing.

Griff
twoeleven

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I might do a little legwork on that one Griff. That mistake on the ticket could easily be a "get out of jail free" for you. The judge I sat in front of last time I went to court was not easy on the officers at all. I think that part is just luck of the draw.

But it might be worth looking for some precedence or talking to someone about it. Seems to me that making a mistake on a ticket is a very fundamental part of the cop's job, and he needs to get that part right.

·
Registered
85 Posts
acruhl said:
I might do a little legwork on that one Griff. That mistake on the ticket could easily be a "get out of jail free" for you. The judge I sat in front of last time I went to court was not easy on the officers at all. I think that part is just luck of the draw.

But it might be worth looking for some precedence or talking to someone about it. Seems to me that making a mistake on a ticket is a very fundamental part of the cop's job, and he needs to get that part right.
I totally agree. I had a ticket thrown out of court because the officer wrote the wrong violation down. The judge was pretty upset at officer. It was a good day for me. :yo:

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
The whole thing sounds a bit draconian to me Kevin. :jsm: I think the offence is similar to driving in a bus lane over here Cat Whisperer. If I were you I'd fight it Griff but I don't know how California law works :jsm:

·
Registered
409 Posts
twoeleven said:
I was on a four lane street, two lanes in each direction. In this case, there are many business driveways along both sides of the street, so there is a center lane which you may enter, up to 200 feet before you make a left-hand turn across the oncoming lanes. Some people call this the suicide lane, it is quite common in Los Angeles. You cannot just drive along in this lane, you can ONLY use it to clear your lanes while waiting to turn left, this way, traffic keeps flowing.

Griff
twoeleven
that police officer was a major hard ass for that ticket .

at 60 miles per hour ur moving 88 feet per second . so lets say u had droped down to 30 to 40 mph for the turn lane . at 30 mph u were moving at 44 feet per sec , u were in the lane >>>>5 SECONDS<<<<<<< to have crossed 200 feet of road ......wtf ...5 seconds . it took me longer to write that then u were in the lane . an u get a 100 plus dollar ticket . u were taxed 100 dollars for being in a lane for 5 freakin seconds ...

our police depts have turned into the new empirial taxation system . they write these insane laws to tax our asses , with out representation either . i dont remember voting on the fees of our dmv tickets ..

damn it all griff u got me all upset ... thats it im moving . what country has the lease intrusive goverment ????

·
Premium Member
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
acruhl said:
I think I have very simple case, and I am going to fight it. I was cited for being in violation of a California Vehicle Code. That VC# is referenced on my ticket. What I was doing has absolutely nothing to do with that code, which is specific to a three lane roadway, my road had five lanes. If it doesn't go my way, I will beg for traffic school under the premise that "I am so new to this whole big getting pulled over thing..."

Thanks for the advice.

khfx said:
Hey Griff,

Walk away....... save your energy for something more important...

Kevin
Hey Kev...With nine motorcycles on my insurance and free use of a company car, this one's kind of important...I wish I had something more important, sadly, this is my life! Besides, making the satelite photos and street photos into my "evidence" will occupy my creative side for a few minutes! :nerd:

logos1111 said:
at 60 miles per hour ur moving 88 feet per second . so lets say u had droped down to 30 to 40 mph for the turn lane . at 30 mph u were moving at 44 feet per sec , u were in the lane >>>>5 SECONDS<<<<<<< to have crossed 200 feet of road ......wtf ...5 seconds . it took me longer to write that then u were in the lane . an u get a 100 plus dollar ticket . u were taxed 100 dollars for being in a lane for 5 freakin seconds ...

our police depts have turned into the new empirial taxation system . they write these insane laws to tax our asses , with out representation either . i dont remember voting on the fees of our dmv tickets ..

damn it all griff u got me all upset ... thats it im moving . what country has the lease intrusive goverment ????
^^^ Switzerland, but I think Amsterdam might be a better choice for you! (I know, Amsterdam isn't a country...I'm just sayin')

logos, you crack me up...Would you consider being part of my defense team? I think if I can get Acruhl and logos together as my legal team, the state will not only back down, but may indeed offer some compensatory settlement for my trouble!

Thanks to all for the advice, I am going to court on February 6th to plead my case...

Griff
twoeleven

·
Registered
358 Posts
I don't know about CA law, y'all do some weird things on the left coast, but here in Houston I know a lot of people who will hire a lawyer and request a jury trial. That alone is usually sufficient to get the ticket thrown out because the courts aren't willing to pay for jury trial (no return on the "investment"). There are a few lawyers that will handle this for about $150-$300 locally. It's easy money for them, but it keeps points off your license. It's generally about the money.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Since no one has chimed in on behalf of the LE community, I would say go to court. Your previous record, the fact the officer was coming in the other direction, He made a mistake on the ticket. (Your honor, if he was distracted/sloppy enough to write the wrong statute on the ticket, perhaps he was distracted when he estimated the amout of feet I travelled.)

I doubt they would even prosecute this. I know the city I work in wouldn't. Of course we have mother rapers and father rapers to deal with.

CAG

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you have the time fight it. I have had very good luck fighting everything.
At the end of one the judge asked/told me that to appeal his desicion I would need a written transcript and asked if I wanted one. I didn't and it was thrown out. Had I said I wanted the transcript he would have found against me.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts