MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will upload pics of the pants when i can, here are pics of the bike...

from what i can tell, there are really two heatshields protecting your right foot/leg.

the front pegs have a small metal plate, and then there is a larger metal plate screwed into the exhaust down tubes.

the thing is, where i circled in red, there is exposed exhaust pipe. and it is exposed right where our leg/pants are. well, my jeans were no match for the heat: so my pants have a burn mark, and even worse there is a nasty burn stain on the exhaust. it looks like rosin. i don't know what they make denim out of, but it does something nasty when it gets smoldering hot.

any way, why is there no heat shield there?? and why didn't they extend the existing one to cover both pipes instead of just the rearmost pipe?? anyone else have this problem? any fixes?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Glad to hear your ok. Better that then a burnt leg! Did you have baggy jeans on or what? Try some laquer(sp) thinner on the pipe to get the burn mark off, but dont get it on the paint. A few guys have had their pipes ceramic coated, which helps with the temp a little.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rsduce said:
Glad to hear your ok. Better that then a burnt leg! Did you have baggy jeans on or what? Try some laquer(sp) thinner on the pipe to get the burn mark off, but dont get it on the paint. A few guys have had their pipes ceramic coated, which helps with the temp a little.
not really baggy, no. not like gang member style. they are normal straight leg style pants...

this doesn't happen to anyone?? what's wrong with me? what do you guys ride with? i don't see us as a bunch of tight leather pants kind of guys--at least when just riding out to brunch etc...

am i the only one who rides in denim?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Some Guy said:
Yes, its only you. The rest of us wear skin tight seal leather overalls, and golashes.

:laughing:

I never ran into that issue perhaps because I replaced my mid pipe with the non-cat Ti version which seems smaller and angled inwards. I also ride with the ball of my foot at the edge of the pegs....maybe that is why

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have had the same problem with a burnt backside. I was wearing leathers and did a trip over to the south coast and ended up with a burn mark the size of my hand on my nether regions. I was wearing leathers, but due to the lack of padded seat (and I don't mean my backside!) I never noticed the smell of burning flesh. I have now put a new link pipe in to eliminate the cat to see if that helps and am awaiting to see if e-moto are going to update their website with gel seats. Either that or I am going to ride all summer with a couple of ice packs to soothe the burns!! Consequently i will not be uploading pictures to show the aforementioned problem..... :flamethro

·
Jason + Stanley Knife + D.I.Y = Casualty and
1,061 Posts
i do believe that neat assitone bought from chemists removes burn marks on metal i was told this in a preiovoius forum altho i never tried it
assitone is the same stuff nail varnish removers made from but you do need it neat
or
try fine wire wool and polish to get rid of it then let it naturally go tarnished with the heat over a couple of rides
hope this helps

·
Registered
77 Posts
The first day on my F4, I rode from AZ to CA in July (109°) and had 2nd degree burns the size of quarters mid inner thighs from the pipes. :mad: :jsm: Hasn't happened since. I had light weight jeans and wasn't changing position enough as I was on the highway.

·
Registered
443 Posts
....another quick job for WD-40! Has worked for me (after letting the pipes cool) with a little elbow grease. If the elbow isn't working let the pipes warm a little and more WD.

Tom

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
You have a piece of heat-shielding missing. Mine's got a metal plate there.

Si

EDIT: Sorry, on closer inspection it does look like you've got the shield attached (above the heel guard.) Still, I've never experienced any burning there.

·
Registered
418 Posts
If you go to a bicycle shop, you can get a strap with velcro ends for a few bucks (<$10) that you wrap around your ankle area to keep jeans/pants in tight and not flopping around, e.g., into the hot pipes. On bikes it is to keep pants out of chain. Works well. Rubber band will also work temporarily but not nearly as classy <g>

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Obmot said:
If you go to a bicycle shop, you can get a strap with velcro ends for a few bucks (<$10) that you wrap around your ankle area to keep jeans/pants in tight and not flopping around, e.g., into the hot pipes. On bikes it is to keep pants out of chain. Works well. Rubber band will also work temporarily but not nearly as classy <g>
the thought had occured to me, but couldn'y bring myself to look that lame...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts