MV Agusta Forum banner

burnt hole in fairing

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  odonata 
#1 ·
Hi all.
Today went on a mid week ride with a fellow Mv rider (great ride).:f4:
No traffic, get away from it all. Half way through the ride i hear a different sound from the bike. Temp was fine & speed was fine.Not losing any power.:wtf:
Get in to town have a look and find a burnt hole in the belly .:cry::jsm::ahhh:

Just below the converter there is a 'plug' of some sort (dont know what's is called).
Well that came off, and the heat coming out made the hole.

This is the 6th issues in 2 years with the bike. Is it just becouse this MV is the first 1000 model and all these flaws are there?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
And who is to blame ??? Change of sound was a clear sign that something is going on . There is a little brass plug for emmisions check ( I think ) and from time to time it can loosen up . I have same think happened on my Ducati but unlike You I immediately investigated and found the problem. You can pick up a new plug at your MV or Ducati dealer. good luck N.

#4 ·
Go easy on the guy Nicolino. I am not sure a lot of people would have caught that. Not everyone who rides an MV is a mechanic or even inclined to be one. I am speaking for myself of course over here.

That said I am sorry for the damage mate. It is heart rending to see your pride and joy have such a greivous injury. Believe me I know...I have some minor right side fairing (plastic) damage on the sticker with the big S and it is painful. Hopefully the CF panel will be replacing all that soon and that definitely is better. Hope it all gets sorted out.

#5 ·
I am so sorry to hear about this...

it is possible that the plug was not tighten up to spec and gradually vibrated off, it happened to my kick stand bolts (all 3 of them) and one vibrated off completely before I noticed that the bike was leaning over excessively, luckily I caught it early and no damage was done to the bike.

Have you had any service done that involved removing the plug like resetting the throttle position sensor? if so, there is a possibility that the plug was not reinstalled properly then. in my case with the kick stand bolts, its likely that they were not tighten to spec at the factory.

Luckily your damage was done only to the belly pan, PM CAG and see if he has a spare one he could sell you, or keep an eye on Ebay...

from now on I suggest that once in a while, take all the panels off and check for the tightness of all the bolts. Best of luck.

#7 ·
I am so sorry to hear about this...

it is possible that the plug was not tighten up to spec and gradually vibrated off, it happened to my kick stand bolts (all 3 of them) and one vibrated off completely before I noticed that the bike was leaning over excessively, luckily I caught it early and no damage was done to the bike.

Have you had any service done that involved removing the plug like resetting the throttle position sensor? if so, there is a possibility that the plug was not reinstalled properly then. in my case with the kick stand bolts, its likely that they were not tighten to spec at the factory.

Luckily your damage was done only to the belly pan, PM CAG and see if he has a spare one he could sell you, or keep an eye on Ebay...

from now on I suggest that once in a while, take all the panels off and check for the tightness of all the bolts. Best of luck.
Should ALWAYS be performed, esp. on a two year old bike. Bolts come loose, period.

#6 ·
Whoever did your last service failed to properly tighten the bung when they set the idle CO%. This is one of the reasons I seldom let dealers do the work. After my first service I've had a small leak from my valve cover gasket which I will need to fix. It is a little late now, but a little safety wire will prevent this in the future.

#10 ·
These bikes tend to dislike nuts and bolts:p I have a suspicion that mine is trying to free itself of the slaying bolts, that's why I'm always with a spanner at hand :)

Seriously though, sorry about the damage, luckily it's covered by warranty!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.