MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would be interested to see what the rest of you think. Build quality of the F4 against the 1098. I don't own a 1098, but on close inspection, the MV would appear to be head and shoulders above Ducati. Even the attention to detail and finishing touches seem better on the F4. Considering the prices of a new 1098 S, I would expect better quality.

·
Registered
101 Posts

yes, and the fasteners and bolts seem inferior quality, and again the welding is crap ! you wouldnt want that to crack while lent over big time.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I remember going to a Ducati meeting one night. And seeing my first 1098R.
Looked great with all the fine carbon fiber. But then the ducati people were commenting on the heat shield on the side just being a piece of black metal shielding.It really stood out with all this carbon fiber.And why the 1098 dont have any more the quick release clips ons.

·
Registered
890 Posts
As I saw all the other posts. I sort of agree with the swing-arm welds.

From my poor photographic memory I don' think MV even have any visible swing-arm welds.
Or if I am right, there arn't any visible welds at all (other than the pipes).

1098 looks more like it came from a production line which is designed by Yamaha (Super Mass production).

·
Registered
417 Posts
cant agree more ,the swing arm on the MV is one of the most striking ,art and engineering pieces,on any bike thats made,its perfect.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, I can never work out why Ducati's build quality is so slapdash, especially when they are asking £14,500 for a new 1098 S. It would appear that attention to detail and the finishing touches finished with the 748/916/998 models. Their main focus is the engine and performance, everything else takes second place. However, the quality of the 1098 models are an improvement on the 999 and 749 machines.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
If the quality and fit and finish of the MV are a 9, I'd probably give the 1098 an 8. It's good but just not quite as good as the MV. The one exception are the welds on the sing arm.

What I really didn't like about the 1098 is that, while it's very light weight and flickable, it just doesn't have the front end feel of the MV (felt sort of like my '04 R1). I ended up selling my 1098 after only 10 months (a new record). In contrast, after 2 years (almost another record), I have no desire of selling my F4S.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Fit and finnish is one thing, but design touches are another. Try taking of an MV body work (Dzeus fasteners, clips electrical connestions etc), then try a 1098 with all those little well nuts!
I love making fun of the mates in the pits at track days when they need to do any adjustments, even they have to concede and say, yeah its pretty dumb. I guess they had to save costs somehow?
But when you consider that Tamburini designed the iconic 916 with beautiful design touches, and he didn't do the 1098, you can tell.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Yes, I can never work out why Ducati's build quality is so slapdash, especially when they are asking £14,500 for a new 1098 S. It would appear that attention to detail and the finishing touches finished with the 748/916/998 models. Their main focus is the engine and performance, everything else takes second place. However, the quality of the 1098 models are an improvement on the 999 and 749 machines.
Don't really agree.
IMO, the build quality of the Ducs was higher with the 749/999 than with the 916/998 and certainly than with the 1098.
I know i have R's (999R-749R) but they are way better built than any 1098 or even 998 i've seen.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don't really agree.
IMO, the build quality of the Ducs was higher with the 749/999 than with the 916/998 and certainly than with the 1098.
I know i have R's (99
-749R) but they are way better built than any 1098 or even 998 i've seen.

I know you and I seem to disagree when it comes to Ducati and I know you are passionate about your 999. However, after owning a new 999S and the problems I had with it from faulty paint work to rough edges around the windscreen. Its quite clear to me when Ilook at my friends 748R, the attention to detail is far better. Even from the fairing clips.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
I have owned both. The quality of materials and workmanship is higher on the MV.

The 1098 was a terrific bike.

CAG

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Isn't the MV swing arm a cast piece? Which would explain the lack of welds.

The 1098 is a mix of casting and welded pieces.

It's like comparing apples and oranges.

Alex

·
Registered
390 Posts
the 1098 swing arm is also alloy very hard to weld thats why it sometimes looks messy, however every piece of the F4 is ten fold the quality and detail compared to the 1098. Yes I agree with nicesleazy that the 1098s is too expensive like all the Ducati range about a £1000.00 too much, with not alot of dealer margin. Just the little things make a big difference like the key cover, cheap as on the Duc, MV nice and neat with a lovely rubber trim.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts