MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday, I headed out on the commonly known road in Sydney called the old road on my way to the coast, and just half way through the bends through hawkesbury I had the gas light come up, amazed by this as I had only filled the tank the night before, I took it as being a little adventurous with the throttle and turned back to hit the gas station to fill her up. Starting again with a full tank from the start of the bends I eventually hit the road till we got to Terrigal beach on the central coast and with a couple of mates stopped for a drink and breather.
Then it was the ride home which was another 90Km, though just as I am about home which would have been 150km I had ridden since filling the tank, the gas light comes up again.
Is this correct, that a 750s Brute should be getting 150km to the tank?
I run the bike on 98ron and thought maybe the bike is running rich? Though I can not really smell a potent fuel smell.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Hi mate,
Normal spirited riding has me at about 190km with the fuel light coming on (3ltrs to go). Track days it's about 150-160km. They're not really fuel efficient....but I didn't buy it for its economy :). Standard motorway haul sees the fuel light on around 210km - that's cruising at around 110kph.

I run 91 in mine, never misses a beat - I only run 98 in the Harley's.

Yours sounds like its running far too rich and definitely needs a look at.

Cheers

·
Registered
694 Posts
I get about 120 miles before my light comes on (1078rr). But that's on the highway at a steady speed and I fill the tank up pretty full when I get gas. If you are twisting the throttle pretty good then you have to expect less. I don't care much about fuel economy either.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ya, the 1090 kinda sucks too. I'm not sure what the conversion is but it was getting about 20 mpg around town. Worst bike mpg ever... most fun ever.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Is this correct, that a 750s Brute should be getting 150km to the tank?
That's how they come from the factory..... Light on around 140 and a brave man that does more than 30km after that!

I ran mine dry after 160km not long after I got it, on the approches to the harbour bridge, just managed to dive of to the left and it stopped outside the Slip Inn.

I have a chip that can fix this for you and get you to 200-210 between fill ups.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
get the bikes on a dyno,fix your air and fuel mixture,you might need to buy a pc3 or 5,but let me tell you it will pay for itself after about 10 to 15 rides,my 1078 was a guzzler until i did this.best of luck
cheers eddy

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
get the bikes on a dyno,fix your air and fuel mixture,you might need to buy a pc3 or 5,but let me tell you it will pay for itself after about 10 to 15 rides,my 1078 was a guzzler until i did this.best of luck
cheers eddy
I have heard that it be better for I to get the the microtech ECU swap instead of the PC3, as with the microtech tune can get a bit more out of the bike than the PC3.

Is there are preferred tune that would be best suited, and where is best to get the PC3 in sydney? I am aware of Explosive Racing for microtech http://explosiveracing.com.au/index.php

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
@Cruiser always run the highest ron you can get.
I read an article some time ago that the higher the ron the less fuel you use.

In general my brutale with corse system is on reserve after 130-140 km :)
My 350 gt from 1974 uses only 3.8 litres/ 100 km :smoking:

·
Administrator
20,107 Posts
@Cruiser always run the highest ron you can get.
I read an article some time ago that the higher the ron the less fuel you use.
Actually, the RON (or whatever octane rating you use) is just an indicator of resistance to preignition or detonation (knock). The higher the octane rating the slower the fuel burns.

Running a higher octane then the engine needs results in unburned fuel residue, eventually leading to deposits in the combustion chamber and valves.

Lower octane numbers burn faster. Getting complete combustion and maximum heat without detonation is what you are looking for, so running the lowest octane number you can without encountering detonation is the best way to go for maximum efficiency and power.

All this goes out the window if you are running formulated race fuel which includes additives specifically designed to create more heat without detonation than standard gasoline.

I run mid-grade (89 octane in the USA using the R+M/2 calculation). This is because MV recommends 90 octane, but our next level after 89 is typically 93 or higher. I'll buy the 91 if I see it, but have never had any problems with 89. I get about 30~32 mpg consistently with the MV Corse exhaust, BMC air cleaner and MV Corse ECU.

So the low fuel light comes on around 120~130 miles and there are about 4 liters left in the tank. I took a very leisurley ride once, with no serious acceleration and very little stopping and got 150 miles before the light came on. That 35 mpg....that's the best I have ever seen.

Of course, with hard flogging in the mountains or on the track I can get significantly less....like 25~28 !!!!

The older 16M ECUs fire injectors and coils in pairs, so there is a waste spark (and fuel squirt) on every stroke of the piston. This has a detrimental affect on fuel economy (and throttle smoothness) at lower rpms and throttle openings.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
I have heard that it be better for I to get the the microtech ECU swap instead of the PC3, as with the microtech tune can get a bit more out of the bike than the PC3.

Is there are preferred tune that would be best suited, and where is best to get the PC3 in sydney? I am aware of Explosive Racing for microtech http://explosiveracing.com.au/index.php
If you want a microtech send chris a pm from x- bikes he is the guru on it.or have look on this site plenty of info.Now if you want a pc3 also look around on this site or just google it for your model bike,then have it dyno tuned,or even better give trooper lu a phone call he knows these bikes backwards ,and will advise you on what you have to do,and also supply you and fit everything and do a dyno for you .maybe while your there he can sync your throttle bodies to.
cheers eddy:)

·
Registered
361 Posts
I've found that on my 1078RR it doesn't matter if I'm going 10 or 100 MPH, I'm getting ~100 miles before the light comes on. That's a rock-solid average of 25 MPG, and really I don't think you should expect much more from a canyon-carver like the Brutale. Most guys garage theirs, using only on the weekends; I say phooey! Ride it every day and don't try to wrap your head around the fact that you may have a car (as I do) that gets better gas milage. That's not the point of riding.

- J.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Riding pleasure is what it is all about. But fuel economy... it reminds me that argument about horribly expensive BMW SUV with a diesel engine I heard on TV - fuel economy. I guess it makes sense.

·
Super Moderator
22,507 Posts
For those of you with the Big Bore bikes...horsepower eats fuel....

·
Registered
167 Posts
Gets better mileage then my Jeep and is more fun too. But I gota say its the range that bothers me most. I have to make my friends stop in the middle of a ride to refill while they sit there and wait, while they can go start to finish without having to refuel. I have even had to bring a couple fuel bottles with me on rides where we may end up to far from a station for me to make it back. The messed up thing is my bike has the biggest tank. Its also the sexiest so not all is lost. :brutale:

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Either get a power commander (or similar) or a replacement chip (ask if you want one).

I can go at least 230km between fill ups on my 750 since getting the pc dyno'd. Prior to that I was doing >200 with the chip alone.

But you'll probably want to get a more forgiving seat, the 100m/160km was about all my behind could stand !!

·
Registered
83 Posts
My 910's gas milage suckkkkks too, big time. I'm getting about 25 miles to the gallon, which I'm sorry is terrible by any standards lol. It's not like I'm driving a tank over here.....I think a power commander might really help because everytime I give my MV gas everyone who's been riding behind me says it smells like fireworks just went off in thier faces, haha

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
fuel economy?

WTF????

it takes 0.45 lbs of gasoline/horsepower/hour
gasoline weighs ~6.073 pound/gallon
the IWP-162 injector in an F4 is capable of 309-311 cc/min @ 80%, that equals 208-209 HORSEPOWER at the crank
209 HP = 29.56 pounds/hr so divided by 6.073lb/gallon = 4.867 gal/hour

>one, YOU are not making 208-9 crank HP
>but you are using MORE fuel than it would take to do that......why?

http://www.rceng.com/technical.aspx

your fuel injection system is a POS

so is the one on my Aprilia RSVR
and my BMW R1150GS

my carburetted '66 work truck weighs 3215 dry, it has 460 cuin, ~335 HP and 530 lbft torque, it averages 22.9MPG city/highway......IF I'M NOT STREET RACING IT:naughty::naughty:
and is aerodynamic as a brick
the State of Californucated measured it as producing 4.5% of what it was allowed......and the referee said "everything you did was illegal, but i'm going to pass you because it runs so clean"

my '72 BMW R75/5 @ 115MPH, got ~90 miles PER tank more than my FI'd '02 R1150GS @ 85MPH

WHY? because the R75 had vacuum carbs and the GS doesn't measure it

NEITHER does your MV.......caveman injection:jerkoff::jerkoff::jerkoff:

come on folks get your egos out of your asses

i love my MVs, but do have to fix everything? look at Donsy's cooling system......the new MVs got part of it right, but why the crossover tube????

i didn't figure this shit out, its been around for 75 years:jsm:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
WTF????

the IWP-162 injector in an F4 is capable of 309-311 cc/min @ 80%, that equals 208-209 HORSEPOWER at the crank

and my BMW R1150GS

my carburetted '66 work truck weighs 3215 dry, it has 460 cuin, ~335 HP and 530 lbft torque, it averages 22.9MPG city/highway......IF I'M NOT STREET RACING IT:naughty::naughty:
the State of Californucated measured it as producing 4.5% of what it was allowed......and the referee said "everything you did was illegal, but i'm going to pass you because it runs so clean"

my '72 BMW R75/5 @ 115MPH, got ~90 miles PER tank more than my FI'd '02 R1150GS @ 85MPH

i love my MVs, but do have to fix everything? look at Donsy's cooling system......the new MVs got part of it right, but why the crossover tube????

I really enjoy reading your posts ! :yo:

Sometimes though, I have no idea what you are talking about :laughing:, but I try to understand the jist of what you are saying ! :jsm: and who the hell am I to argue :green:...yes I can honestly admit, your knowledge on most things to do with MV is beyond me (until I can decipher and learn everything I can from you !:naughty:)

And your replies look so theoretical and accurate, that I know for a fact that I won't argue with you, just like I wouldn't be telling a lobotomist how to perform brain surgery ! :)

Thank you for the info !! :guitarist :yo: :)

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Aah shush

WTF????

and my BMW R1150GS

I like my fuel injection system, at least I know I always have fresh fuel in. :naughty:

·
Registered
825 Posts
Fuel economy

G'Day,

If I was worried about economy I'd have kept the Buell (25km/ltr - 4ltr/100km ridden round town). They're still selling petrol, so who give a [email protected]#!. Has to be a price for so magnificent a machine.

We'll have to explain to our grand kids what a real bike sounded like! I'm not ready for electric just yet.

Cheers

Deano

1 - 20 of 106 Posts