MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

After stalling for 2 times in the same morning, I decided to return my Brutale to the dealer.

No problems receiving it, just a quick phonecall and the pickup was scheduled.

The thing is that in 5 months this us the 5th time that my bike stalls.

Symptoms:

#Temperature: medium to high (from 80º to 95º Celsius)
#Speed: from 80km/h reducing to 10km/h then stop. (like approaching a roundabout)
#clutch fully pressed
#Gear: 4th passing to 3rd
#Weight: 2 persons
#Fuel: 95 octanes

Do you remember any symptom from your "stalling"? I would like to complete this listing.

It could be the fuel filter damaged or with something stuck in it, or the old "electrical cdu/power unit" problem.

Don't even know if the dealer can replicate the issue.

I will keep you posted.

Cheers

:shitfan:

·
Registered
62 Posts
happend to me 2 times over 2 seasons. First time as you describe, into a roundabout, engine stoped when i shifted from 2nd to 1st.

2 time from 4th and down to 3rd.

(When i clutch it stopped.)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hello all,

After stalling for 2 times in the same morning, I decided to return my Brutale to the dealer.

No problems receiving it, just a quick phonecall and the pickup was scheduled.

The thing is that in 5 months this us the 5th time that my bike stalls.
wow consider yourself lucky then. my bike stalls about 1-2 times per ride on average. some days it can stall 3-4 times on the way to work, other days i make it all the way without stalling. my bike has probably stalled several hundred times in the last 2 years. dealer could not fix it. my problem is that it's too costly for me to force them to fix it since they are $40 in gas roundtrip away from me. my dealer has figured that out, so when i drop the bike off, they call back and say "it's fixed". i go pick up the bike and no improvement. now another $40 in gas to bring it back and have them try again. rinse and repeat a dozen times. bike still stalls, i'm out hundreds of dollars in gas money. basically a big rip-off scam they have going.

·
Registered
36 Posts
wow consider yourself lucky then. my bike stalls about 1-2 times per ride on average. some days it can stall 3-4 times on the way to work, other days i make it all the way without stalling. my bike has probably stalled several hundred times in the last 2 years. dealer could not fix it. my problem is that it's too costly for me to force them to fix it since they are $40 in gas roundtrip away from me. my dealer has figured that out, so when i drop the bike off, they call back and say "it's fixed". i go pick up the bike and no improvement. now another $40 in gas to bring it back and have them try again. rinse and repeat a dozen times. bike still stalls, i'm out hundreds of dollars in gas money. basically a big rip-off scam they have going.

same here, i feel your pain......

·
Registered
235 Posts
A lot of times it has to do with the kickstand safety switch.
All it needs is a weak internal spring and it will drive you nuts and broke. Try bypassing it, who knows! Good luck!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
TPS adj or perhaps a tight valve?

Mine from new only stalled once or twice until the first service, then started stalling like mad, took at back a couple thousand miles ago, they adjusted TPS and no probs since.

Chris

·
Registered
23 Posts
how many miles are on these bikes that have these stalling problems? could it have something to do with washing?
Stalling several hundred times??! you could get killed, in fact i cant beleive you are still alive. this is ridiculous.
One of the things i love about the brutale is that its looks havent changed ,but it sounds to me that some things... er a ooops oh, exscuz me I a, umphart ugh Whewwoo... gotta go

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
There have been posts about iridium spark plugs. My bike stalled randomly for over 3 years and stopped after installing the plugs and a bmc air filter.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I was under the impression stalling issues were only a Ducati thing!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There have been posts about iridium spark plugs. My bike stalled randomly for over 3 years and stopped after installing the plugs and a bmc air filter.

Hi all,

Perhaps is just an "adjustment" to be made, the thing is where... Too many variables.

Well, if our bruties have a USB connection for diag, they should be able to identify and/or troubleshoot the issue.

I forgot to mention that the bike only stalls when the clutch is fully used.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't claim to have the answer, but what you are talking about is almost identical to what happened to my Brutale. It took 3 times and 3 months to get fixxed but they claim it has been cured and I am waiting for delivery tomorrow. If I get some of the terms incorrect I apologize, but here were the steps 1) First time at dealer throttle bodies and TPS sensor was adjusted. It worked for about 2 weeks then it stalled. 2) 2nd time at dealer the CDI unit was replaced and they removed my power commander and installed a new Eprom chip (Even though I had a custom map they said it was running to rich, and they wanted to work off of stock settings). This worked for about a week or two and then it stalled again 3) 3RD time back to the dealer. Long story short they found out the terminals(I believe to the battery were switched) this was causing a short to the wiring harness and the alternator. They replaced both of them and they said the bike runs perfect. Mind you luckily the bike stalled for them to. So this went out on a 60 mile test drive and a couple short test drive by the technicians. The stalling only happened at speeds under 5MPH under 3K RPMS when the clutch was fully engaged when the bike was running warm. I hope this helps

·
Registered
44 Posts
When I first got mine, it stalled a couple of times, but that was after I almost ran out of gas. It's been fine since.

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
Iridium plugs did nothing for mine. Fitting a PC-III cured all the problems. When I had the custom mapping done, the dyno guy said he'd never seen a bike running so rich - which explains the petrol fume complains from my occasional pillions.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I don't claim to have the answer, but what you are talking about is almost identical to what happened to my Brutale. It took 3 times and 3 months to get fixxed but they claim it has been cured and I am waiting for delivery tomorrow. If I get some of the terms incorrect I apologize, but here were the steps 1) First time at dealer throttle bodies and TPS sensor was adjusted. It worked for about 2 weeks then it stalled. 2) 2nd time at dealer the CDI unit was replaced and they removed my power commander and installed a new Eprom chip (Even though I had a custom map they said it was running to rich, and they wanted to work off of stock settings). This worked for about a week or two and then it stalled again 3) 3RD time back to the dealer. Long story short they found out the terminals(I believe to the battery were switched) this was causing a short to the wiring harness and the alternator. They replaced both of them and they said the bike runs perfect. Mind you luckily the bike stalled for them to. So this went out on a 60 mile test drive and a couple short test drive by the technicians. The stalling only happened at speeds under 5MPH under 3K RPMS when the clutch was fully engaged when the bike was running warm. I hope this helps
HUH? How would the bike even start if your battery wires were mixed up? So your saying the bike is fixed?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't know what was crossed. All they said is the terminals were crossed. The bike started fine. As of now the bike runs fine. They replaced the harness and the alternator. I am just waiting for some good summer weather to give it a real test. No stalling yet and I ran it hot and simulated stop and go in traffic. Im keeping my fingers crossed

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
Iridium plugs did nothing for mine. Fitting a PC-III cured all the problems. When I had the custom mapping done, the dyno guy said he'd never seen a bike running so rich - which explains the petrol fume complains from my occasional pillions.

PCIII didn't fix it all for me..... Did you have just the custom mapping on it? I have a basic one installed from where I ordered it. They were looking to lean it out for me, but it was set at the leanest setting (i've never messed with it, that is just what they told me). Maybe the custom map is the way to go.... well, it obviously is. just gotta shell out some cash.

after replacing that funky CDI unit, electronics seem to work, though I feel like twice I noticed that the left blinker was on when there was no way I would have turned it on purposely. Can't remember ever accidentily hitting it. hmmm. Anyway, stalled once today. Was a bit disappointing to see that happen. dunno what's next.

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
PCIII didn't fix it all for me..... Did you have just the custom mapping on it? I have a basic one installed from where I ordered it. They were looking to lean it out for me, but it was set at the leanest setting (i've never messed with it, that is just what they told me). Maybe the custom map is the way to go.... well, it obviously is. just gotta shell out some cash.
Yep - there wasn't any difference until I had the custom mapping done.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts