MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On some of the 2008 Brutale 1078 and 989, there was a recall regarding the steering head insert.

I have dismantled a 989 for which a dealer sended me a new steering head insert together with bearings, but nothing seems to be wrong, insert is not cracked nor anything else.

Does anyone know what was the reason for the recall, i.e. what was wrong with the insert?

Were bearings faulty or were those inserts cracking?

I did notice that this insert nut was tightened a bit much for my taste, though.

Old insert

New insert(notice the yellow dot)

Forks

Lower bearing cage

If nothing is wrong, I would really hate to pull off that bearing cage on the steering head tube on 4th picture for nothing, to only realize that I destroyed a bearing plus there is this seal, pretty easy to damage it in the process.

Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
20,022 Posts
Here in Happy Lawyer Recall Nirvana USA there is no recall on the 2008 Brutale. Maybe a small batch assembly issue isolated to production run including yours?
Then again, our bikes are 1 year behind yours...my 910R is a 2008. The 989 (none in USA) and 1078 are 2009's, so maybe they got it fixed before they got here.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it was just a batch of bikes made at the end of 2008, only 1078 and 989 Brutales. Those for USA were not infected by this. Also my dad's 1078, made in January 2009, was not infected.

I ended up changing the bearing cage too, it's pretty easy job.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
How do you know if your bike is one of the faulty batch? Does MV or your dealer Contact you directly ? What is the procedure?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts