MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I try this has anyone else done it? I have a 2007 910r, 43T rear, I haven't looked at the front yet.

Maybe drop down to 41 rear?

I would rather NOT have to change the chain.

CAG

·
Registered
313 Posts
CAG . I thought you went higher on the back to 45t. or is this to make is not as quick ? Just curious.

Would have thought the chain should be ok . only one way to find out . If its too slack you may need to remove a couple of links

·
Registered
152 Posts
Before I try this has anyone else done it? I have a 2007 910r, 43T rear, I haven't looked at the front yet.

Maybe drop down to 41 rear?

I would rather NOT have to change the chain.

CAG
I have always thought the 910R could do with a smaller rear sprocket.Cruising around in top its pulling way too many revs.Always trying to change up another gear.Feel it has the power for a smaller sprocket.
I sourced a hard anodised version and was advised to drop to a 42 if I did not want to remove links.41 will almost certainly require the removal of a link.If the 42 is not enough then I will try a 41 and remove a link.Sprockets are pretty cheap and available in whatever size I need.
Have not actually fitted the new sprocket as I am swapping out the rear shock for a Nitron unit,and fitting the MVCorse TI exhaust and changing tyres F+R,pads oil/filter etc etc.Weather is still rubbish in Uk so in no great hurry.Will be a few weeks and will report back.If you try the 41 let us know ,could save me fitting the 42 and having to change it.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CAG . I thought you went higher on the back to 45t. or is this to make is not as quick ? Just curious.

Would have thought the chain should be ok . only one way to find out . If its too slack you may need to remove a couple of links
Not I, sir. I find the revs way too high as it is.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Link removal

I have an 06 910s & dropped from a 43t to a 41t & had to remove a link. Still plenty of pull, but throttle response is much more managable now.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great, thanks!

Any recommendation for a link breaking tool. (I've never had to take a chain off with the thought of putting it back on.

CAG

·
Registered
803 Posts
I'm also running a 41 rear on a 910s. Replaced chain with a gold chain with one less link than stock.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could you not just go down/up on the front sprocket or will that put more strain on the chain ?
I think I could go down one on the front. But I think I would have to go to the 14 tooth from a 750 and that takes the 520 chain.

If someone knows for sure please let me know.

CAG

·
Registered
152 Posts
I think I could go down one on the front. But I think I would have to go to the 14 tooth from a 750 and that takes the 520 chain.

If someone knows for sure please let me know.

CAG
CAG the standard front sprocket on the 910R is a 15tooth.Going UP on the front sprocket one tooth (to a 16) will have the same effect as dropping 2-3 teeth on the rear (to a 41-40)
Front sprockets are available in 14 /15/16 for the 910R ie in the correct 525 chain size.

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
Yeah...larger front would be the way to go, but one tooth front is closer to 3 rear. Your speedometer will no longer be accurate. You will need a Speedo Mender or Yellow Box to recalibrate.

To break a chain is easy, just grind off the rivet heads with a small grinder or Dremel tool, and use a small punch to tap the link out It is the replacement link that is difficult. Look for the master link...usually a different color, but always different looking ends on the pins where it was riveted. You will need a special tool made to rivet the new link pins. Do NOT use a clip type master link.

·
Registered
31 Posts
CAG. I went to a 40 tooth on the rear and I think two links came out. The spedo now reads generally 3-5 mph slow depending on the speed.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Great, thanks!

Any recommendation for a link breaking tool. (I've never had to take a chain off with the thought of putting it back on.

CAG
Motion pro makes decent chain breakers. You could use a pipe flair tool too.

Either way you should grind off the mushroomed end of the roller pin from the push side. This makes the push pin on the tool last much longer.

Avoid using clip type master link, they can work it self loose and fly off. Back in the day I used to weld the master link clip shut.

Have a look:
http://www.pashnit.com/product/motion_pro.html

GL.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah...larger front would be the way to go, but one tooth front is closer to 3 rear. Your speedometer will no longer be accurate. You will need a Speedo Mender or Yellow Box to recalibrate.

To break a chain is easy, just grind off the rivet heads with a small grinder or Dremel tool, and use a small punch to tap the link out It is the replacement link that is difficult. Look for the master link...usually a different color, but always different looking ends on the pins where it was riveted. You will need a special tool made to rivet the new link pins. Do NOT use a clip type master link.
I've broken plenty, I've never put one together. Any particular tool you would recommend?

Either way you should grind off the mushroomed end of the roller pin from the push side. This makes the push pin on the tool last much longer.

Avoid using clip type master link, they can work it self loose and fly off. Back in the day I used to weld the master link clip shut.

Have a look:

Thanks. I'll check them out.

GL.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Have a look:

GL.
Looks like I need the chain breaker and rivet tool for $89?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've got 40T rear on my 910s -06 and I think it's better. Haven't done anything for speedo, if I don't want a speeding ticket I'll just ride a bit slower than the speedo reading.

When I changed the rear sprocket I heard that 16T front might just be a bit too big? I mean physically... that there wouldn't be enough space for bigger sprocket & chain? That's just hear-say of course, haven't tried it myself... Would be better though, because you wouldn't have to shorten the chain.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I've got 40T rear on my 910s -06 and I think it's better. Haven't done anything for speedo, if I don't want a speeding ticket I'll just ride a bit slower than the speedo reading.

When I changed the rear sprocket I heard that 16T front might just be a bit too big? I mean physically... that there wouldn't be enough space for bigger sprocket & chain? That's just hear-say of course, haven't tried it myself... Would be better though, because you wouldn't have to shorten the chain.
With a 41 rear on a 910 the speedo is very near accurate. With a 40 it's probably running 1-2% under actual. But it depends a little on the rear tire.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts