MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
with 1500 hard miles on a 910 brutale , there seems to be a clunking sound as the clutch is let out or as you let off of the power and apply it again. .There also seems to be side to side play on the rear sprocket at the silentblock isolation mounts and the crown wheel. Is this side play normal? do you lube the contact surface between the crown wheel and the outer face of silentblocks to help let it "float" or are they supposed to have a tight fit ? Can they just be worn out at only 1500 miles and need replacing ? Is there some other known problem that can cause this clunking that can be felt in the left foot peg even if the chain is properly adjusted ... :conveyer:

·
Registered
83 Posts
My new F4 has side play i think thats normal i don't think you should have to much wear on yours is your chain adjustment right?
Alex

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
My mates has worn the rear out through the chain being overtight, first picture is over tight, second picture with the chain "hanging" below the guard is about the correct tension, although this varies slightly depending on sproket size

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The chain is correct, the problem feels like there is some sort of side binding that lets go as you start off or if you put the bike in gear with the motor off and rock the bike forward and back you will see the the rear sprocket shift and a clunking sound is heard.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I think you added now that the chain is adjusted properly. This is the most common reason for feeling the lash and clunking as Mike mentioned. There can be a few mm play from side to side on the rear/crown sprocket. With the bike on the ground is there any play fore/aft if you try to 'jiggle' the sprocket? As you mentioned there are rubber cush drives/rubber isolators that can go bad but that is very soon in termis of distance so something was done incorrectly if they are the culprit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The chain seems fine and it has been cleaned and lubed , set up correctly , since new.The clunking just started in the last 100 miles and something seems to make noise at slow speeds and I can feel the clunk just as I start off in the left foot peg. looking at the repair instructions it mentions using some lube but it is not clear if that is on the face of the nuts or on the cush sides that fit into the crown wheel

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
We found the problem!
After checking the transmission,clutch and rear swingarm using an electronic sound detecting device it turned out to be the rear wheel..
We got the socket from the dealer and checked the back nut and found it to be tightened to only 70 ft.lbs. I dont know if checking the nut torque at the 600 mile service is part of the procedure ??(which was done at the dealer last month) but its fixed now with a torque of about 170 ft. lbs. and the clunking sound is gone. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes we first removed the wheel to see if the bearing system was causing the noise and found that to be tight and undamaged, the wheel inner surface and the mounting flange did not show any signs of over stress or damage so we put it all back and torqued to the proper specs and tried rocking it back and forth in gear and test drove it and no more clunking sound.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts