MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At this time, I have a veritable cornucopia of local Brutale's to pick from. All of them have asking prices around $1500 to $2000 above KBB's "retail" price. KBB's trade-in price is a lot lower than that. In the car world, cars typically sell for closer to trade-in than retail.

For example.

2007 910R asking $8700. KBB retail $7000
2009 1078RR asking $11.5K. KBB retail $9500
2010 1090RR asking $13.5K. KBB retail $11.5K

All these bikes have sub 5K miles and look to be in excellent condition.

So either KBB or the sellers are out of touch. This is a big gap in perceived values! What is the collective experience on used prices?

I wonder if there is enough of a statistical sample size of Brutale sales to accurately come up with a price? Nadaguides, for instance, won't provide a number due to this.

-steve

·
Registered
465 Posts
Nada

Most dealers use NADA, not KBB . And I know they both list different values for cars, bikes etc.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe dealers get a different NADA guide, but the NADA website does not show values for low production vehicles like MV Agusta or Moto Guzzi.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Speaking for myself, I've always used the KBB/NADA value as a basis when I'm looking to purchase... mostly because i ride the hell out of my bikes and thats (KBB/NADA) a ballpark value for what insurance is gonna look at.. As for mods, sellers are always looking to recoup SOMETHING for what they've put into the bike.

I recently picked up a '09 Brute 1078RR with a few grand worth of mods.. I feel i got a good deal and as long as i'm happy with it, that's all that's important.

If you feel the price is too high ( i'm sure you're doing your research), pass.... one you're comfortable with ( model/price etc..) will come along.

·
Registered
354 Posts
For reference, I sold my 07 910R for $6k last fall. My sale price was reflected the demographics of my area. I live no where near a big city and most people have no idea what a MV is.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For reference, I sold my 07 910R for $6k last fall. My sale price was reflected the demographics of my area. I live no where near a big city and most people have no idea what a MV is.
Thanks, nk, for the reference. You gave the bike away! I don't think the same demographics apply to the SF bay area, where I am. If anything, this area, and LA, likely allows a price premium. However, MV's are rare, and so are prospective buyers.

I've been watching the seller of the local '10 1090RR drop the price each week. It would still be more than I can afford at this time, and I'd worry I'd kill myself on the thing! The 910S/R is already insanely fast compared to the Guzzi's I normally ride! I do like the upgrades on the 1090RR, but I like the original Tamborini aspect of the 910.

Since I"ve been on a bike buying binge the last year (testing my wife's patience!), I may just bide my time until my buddy decides to part with his silver/red 910S.

-steve

·
Registered
879 Posts
Mince,
You hit the nail right on the head with your comment on how MV bikes and MV customers are rare. Just like Rick says on Pawn Stars, "just because something is rare doesn't mean it's worth a lot of money." The key here being that you have to find the person who really wants that specific item. As as you so eloquently captured it, that's going to be rare.

Thanks, nk, for the reference. You gave the bike away! I don't think the same demographics apply to the SF bay area, where I am. If anything, this area, and LA, likely allows a price premium. However, MV's are rare, and so are prospective buyers.

I've been watching the seller of the local '10 1090RR drop the price each week. It would still be more than I can afford at this time, and I'd worry I'd kill myself on the thing! The 910S/R is already insanely fast compared to the Guzzi's I normally ride! I do like the upgrades on the 1090RR, but I like the original Tamborini aspect of the 910.

Since I"ve been on a bike buying binge the last year (testing my wife's patience!), I may just bide my time until my buddy decides to part with his silver/red 910S.

-steve

·
Registered
147 Posts
In my experience NADA and KBB are not anywhere near correct when it comes to exotic bikes. They also seem to pretty much ignore buying trends. On top of that notice there is nowhere to type in your mileage. Take my Ducati SC1000S that I bought last year. NADA is $6200 retail. I paid $13000 and got a great deal; mint, 2700 miles, Termis etc. NADA asked if it had a utility trailer!!!!!!!
My Buell X1 which currently sell around the $4k mark was $1800 on NADA. Its like they are just depreciating every model with a certain formula. Its a very lazy company. I'm damned if I cant find it now, but Ebay used to have a tool that would tell you the average sales prices on certain things over a select period of time. Thats probably more accurate.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've been able to get a pretty good feel for the market by watching eBay listings. If you sit on an item for long enough, you tend to get an idea of how much it should go for. You can also filter search results to show only sold listings. That will help you see what the item has gone for as of late.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've been able to get a pretty good feel for the market by watching eBay listings. If you sit on an item for long enough, you tend to get an idea of how much it should go for. You can also filter search results to show only sold listings. That will help you see what the item has gone for as of late.
I don't know. When I've looked at completed listings on 910R's, I see that the majority go unsold as they don't hit reserve. They stall out between $5K and $6K, which I know is too low and not reflective of the market.

Looking at ads here on bikes that sold, it seems like most '07 910R's sell for between $7K and $8K.

I'm not in any hurry. I'm pretty sure my next bike will be a Brutale...

-steve

·
Registered
147 Posts
I don't know. When I've looked at completed listings on 910R's, I see that the majority go unsold as they don't hit reserve. They stall out between $5K and $6K, which I know is too low and not reflective of the market.

Looking at ads here on bikes that sold, it seems like most '07 910R's sell for between $7K and $8K.

I'm not in any hurry. I'm pretty sure my next bike will be a Brutale...

-steve
This is true and I've no doubt that some auctions are also ended so that the deals are done thru email to avoid ebay commissions. MV buyers/sellers are probably pretty savvy when it comes to that.

·
Registered
14,740 Posts
????

you guys looking to KBB and NADA and even ebay for prices......

statistically there aren't enough examples......and almost all are modified too

Steve; saying that nk140 gave his '07 away last fall @ $6,000......is a bit off:naughty:

2+ years ago I bought an '08 910R for CAG for $9,000
BUT;
it had a full Ti system
MicroTec ECU
GPR steering damper
CGR mirrors
Motovation bar ends
LEDs
tail tidy
and all the carbon you can buy

with 4,100 mi and flawless

the system and the MicroTec are ~$4,700

I think nk140 did real well

I paid $6K for my '08 910R 3years ago with 5K mi with just a carbon tail

:popcorn:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, in your opinion, $6K is the market for an '07 910R? Maybe a few distress sales, but I think most of them sell for a bit more than that. Or maybe not???

As you say, there isn't enough sales to form a good statistical sample!

-steve

you guys looking to KBB and NADA and even ebay for prices......

statistically there aren't enough examples......and almost all are modified too

Steve; saying that nk140 gave his '07 away last fall @ $6,000......is a bit off:naughty:

2+ years ago I bought an '08 910R for CAG for $9,000
BUT;
it had a full Ti system
MicroTec ECU
GPR steering damper
CGR mirrors
Motovation bar ends
LEDs
tail tidy
and all the carbon you can buy

with 4,100 mi and flawless

the system and the MicroTec are ~$4,700

I think nk140 did real well

I paid $6K for my '08 910R 3years ago with 5K mi with just a carbon tail

:popcorn:

·
Registered
14,740 Posts
Steve you're not listening....

I bought a mint 4,100mi '08 910R 2+ years ago with ~$7,000 worth of stuff on it for $9,000 for CAG:) trust me it wasn't a distressed sale

I think it was in the for sale section......Carl sent me a check and asked me to check it out.....I bought it for him:)

almost 3 years ago I bought my '08 910R 5,100mi for $6,000

'08s have the 5SM ECU and usually the updated SPU

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
the KBB or any other price book is a guide only
if there is a demand for MV's in your area its a SELLERS market the rice goes up.. if only one person wants one and theres a few out there for sale its a BUYERS market = low prices

You often here ppl say i got this for $4000 but its worth $5000 crap its worth $4000 thats what you paid so thats what its worth now!... when and if you sell it for $5000 well thats what its worth then!

the books are guide's not gospels

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey just for a reference. I live in NY about 50 miles from NYC. I picked up a used 2010 1090rr in September 2013 with 3500 miles with full titanium mv augusta exhaust with rear seat cowl and carbon fiber rear hugger in mint condition for 10,500. At the time kbb was 8500 trade in and 11500 retail. I fell in love with the way it looks and even more in the way it rides and feels and sounds!! Its my 2 wheel Lamborghini ... lol

I have 3 bikes now ... a 2012 super Tenere and a 2008 Bking and love them but the Brutale is the bike I sit in the garage and just stare at.

Ride safe!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey just for a reference. I live in NY about 50 miles from NYC. I picked up a used 2010 1090rr in September 2013 with 3500 miles with full titanium mv augusta exhaust with rear seat cowl and carbon fiber rear hugger in mint condition for 10,500. At the time kbb was 8500 trade in and 11500 retail.
Thanks for the data point! There's a local independent car dealer with a 2010 1090RR he's selling. He started at $14.5K, and has been dropping his price every couple of days. He's down to $12.6K now. Given that a local dealer has a brand new 2012 1090RR for an asking price of $14.5K, he has a ways to go.

-steve

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.