MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I'm looking to buy a Brutale 1090RR 2010 or a Ducati street fighter S and want to know what issues the masive have had and how reliable the brutale is?

I'm asking because I work away from home so when I'm home I need the bike to work so I can ride it.

I just sold my KTM Superduke because it was forever in the dealership beeing fixed.

Any advice would be greatly received

oh The brutale is winning in my list of pro's and cons for each bike

·
Registered
229 Posts
I was with Ktm since 04 with 640lc4 and 950 smr and had very few problems , love the bikes , love the brand , i bought the MV because i had too , its the ultimate street bike , had no problems so far in 2700 miles in 3 1/2 months but do still miss the smooth carburation of the 950 .

If it helps the 1090 fueling is MUCH better than any FI KTM, but the KTM FI is better than previous MV , i'm no expert but have owned or ridden them, (sm625 sm640 sm950 sd 990 smr 950 rc8r - 910r 990r , 1090 rr)

Hope this helps

Steve

·
Administrator
20,104 Posts
Very reliable....if you do the routine maintenance called for. 14,500 miles, my only problem is I don't get to ride enough....Tires, oil and filter changes...that's it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
O-mac ..funny I recently sold my SuperDuke and even more recently sold my Harley! I've narrowed things down to the SFS, 1090RR, and maybe the 1100s. Demo'd a SFS and a 1100s recently and of course the SFS was a blast...the 1100s smooth but not quite as fun. Never had any major issues with the Duke other than the fueling was never right and for some reason the riding position killed my back on longer rides. From what I've been able to gather the SF has some low rpm fueling issues (sounds familiar), the exhaust/footpeg clearance issue, and the fuel tank expansion issue. I must admit that the fuel tank has me starting to shy away more than anything else. Maybe they will fix these in 2011?? I'm hoping to get a test ride on the 990 soon ...seems to be the only demo around. The only downside I see at this point is that its not a twin...but I can be persuaded if it rides as good as some reviews claim. Have you ridden the 1090?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
i sell both, Ducatis and MVs. The MVs are clearly more reliable and I suspect the 2010 may even be better in this respect than earlier years. MV actually listens to consumers and dealers and addresses issues. Ducati often times denies that issues exist.
The Streetfighter is a fine motorcycle but just like any other naked bike, it is a FAR FAR cry from the Brutale in almost every aspect.

Maintenance on the MV is also less. 12,000 mile valve check intervals vs. 7,500 miles on the Ducati.

Don't get me wrong, I love Ducatis and most of the bikes I qwn are Ducatis but man there is just something about the Brutales .......it's impossible to put in words!! :yo::yo::brutale:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Before I bought my 2006 910s I had the same concerns and talked to as many owners as I could. Also since I take medium long trips this was very important(700-800 miles round trip). From I could tell except for the spu on pre 2007 0r 8 bikes they are pretty bulletproof.It was not rare to find people with 10-15k without problems.The seat seems to be the limiting factor and need modification.I had an opportunity to buy a 2008 910r at a good price so my 2006 is for sale. Basic maintenance is actually pretty basic and you can do much yourself. A certified Japanese or Ducati mechanic I would think could do most anything if special tools are not needed

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey folks,

I'm looking to buy a Brutale 1090RR 2010 or a Ducati street fighter S and want to know what issues the masive have had and how reliable the brutale is?

I'm asking because I work away from home so when I'm home I need the bike to work so I can ride it.

I just sold my KTM Superduke because it was forever in the dealership beeing fixed.

Any advice would be greatly received

oh The brutale is winning in my list of pro's and cons for each bike
800 miles on my 09 1078 and no issues. Had Ducatis in the past and did my research before I purchased the MV. 100% in favor of the Brutale over the SF and most dealers that sell both will agree.. If you feel comfortable on the brute.. BUY IT !!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Have you ridden the 1090?
Hey chief I haven't ridden the 1090 yet because the dealership where I am doesn't have a demo, so until he does I ain't parting with my cash.

I also can't make my mind up on which colour I would like the most:mouthwate

I also forgot to ask what the tank range is? with the 23 Litre tank I would expect around 150 miles.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
probably closer to 120-130

·
Administrator
20,104 Posts
I also forgot to ask what the tank range is? with the 23 Litre tank I would expect around 150 miles.
I routinely go 125~130 before the low fuel light comes on (4 liters remaining)....occasionally I will get to near 150, but not often...

·
Registered
51 Posts
I bought my 910r after riding a 2010 streetfighter, monster 696, 1100. I liked the streetfighter ok, but seat was uncomfortable, my right foot kept slipping off the peg, and it just didnt look nearly as good as the Brutale did.

My buddy bought a Ducati S4r and fell in love with it...until two weeks later when i bought my 910r and he said he thought hed made a mistake...should of gotten the Brutale. And he was dead set on that Streetfighter.

Dont get me wrong, his S4r is real nice and if I could afford to have a large garage it would be in there...but I'd rather have a Monster in the garage...my streetfighter is a Brutale.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey chief I haven't ridden the 1090 yet because the dealership where I am doesn't have a demo, so until he does I ain't parting with my cash.

I also can't make my mind up on which colour I would like the most:mouthwate

For me the closest demo is a 990 and thats at least a 2.5hr drive....so I hope its good! Yeah I wouldn't want to spend that kind of money without riding one. I'm kinda fond of the black/titanium one but I hear there are very few here in the states.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
None of the Dealers in Scotland have a demo of the 1090 but 1 of them has a 989 demo. Would this give me a good idea what to expect from the 1090?

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Wtf

O-mac ..funny I recently sold my SuperDuke and even more recently sold my Harley! I've narrowed things down to the SFS, 1090RR, and maybe the 1100s. Demo'd a SFS and a 1100s recently and of course the SFS was a blast...the 1100s smooth but not quite as fun. Never had any major issues with the Duke other than the fueling was never right and for some reason the riding position killed my back on longer rides. From what I've been able to gather the SF has some low rpm fueling issues (sounds familiar), the exhaust/footpeg clearance issue, and the fuel tank expansion issue. I must admit that the fuel tank has me starting to shy away more than anything else. Maybe they will fix these in 2011?? I'm hoping to get a test ride on the 990 soon ...seems to be the only demo around. The only downside I see at this point is that its not a twin...but I can be persuaded if it rides as good as some reviews claim. Have you ridden the 1090?
Real:bandit:ly....?

·
Registered
229 Posts
None of the Dealers in Scotland have a demo of the 1090 but 1 of them has a 989 demo. Would this give me a good idea what to expect from the 1090?
yes but no but.

i tested a 910 r and decided i couldn't live with the fueling (£1200 to sort ) the mirrors , suspension , seat could be sorted in time ,
the 989 is similar to the 910r .
what i did like from the 910 r was the MV experience , and 2 weeks later i tested the 990 and 1090 , they were both great and could be used everyday without changing anything .
The reason i didn;t take the cheaper (?) option was the knowing i would always be hankering after the 2 tone paint / red cam covers , monobloc calipers etc .

You will not be dissapointed with the 1090 .

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi .. I am soon to pick up a new 990r and intend to use it as my everyday bike. From what I read here it will probably be fine for reliability and I am wondering if any of the components weather in a particularily bad way?

I also have a gsxr 750, primarily as a track bike but may turn to using that on the road on occasion if the brutale needs more care than most above and beyond regular cleaning ....

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Well today I had a test ride of the 989 and my god it can't be legal to have that much fun on a bike :brutale:

So off I popped to my local dealer who quite kindly put trade plates on a 1090 and let me have a shotty, the day just got better

Long and short of it deposit paid and black and white 1090RR brutale ordered...........can't wait :cool::cool:

Thanks for all the advice Guys

1 - 20 of 23 Posts