Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
The 750 might be OK, I haven't ridden one but I heard it compared to a strong 600cc sportbike.

If you look at my signature I started with a 250cc. This didn't last very long for me, maybe a few months (I don't remember). I do remember the first turn I took with it with some cornering speed and it was the coolest sensation ever. I quickly went to a 1992 600 GSXR, this was a great starter bike it had all the suspension and tires of it's bigger brother 750-GSXR and less power (more forgiving). Everyone should learn how to ride fast on a slow bike, then learn how to ride faster on a fast bike.

ricster said:
Is a brutale to much bike for your first bike? Or is it a bike I can grow into?

·
Registered
281 Posts
ricster said:
Is a brutale to much bike for your first bike? Or is it a bike I can grow into?
Without knowing you, I would suggest that it is too much for a first ride... Too abrupt to be safe without experience - too expensive to allow for small spills. How about a used starter - maybe an S3? That is similar in size, cheap and pretty smooth. You can then advance to the Brutale when you have the experience and the urge remains...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My Name is Ric. I went down to cliff's in danbury CT and fell in love with the awesome look and feel of this bike. I have taken the msf course on a yamaha 250cc bike about 3 monthes ago. I was also looking at the triumph sprint st but have heard so many problems with the bike from brakes to suspension faults. I also thought of a honda vfr...any recommendations?

·
Registered
281 Posts
I think that the key (for me) would to get something fairly cheap, since it is very likely it won't hold your "Brutale Jones" too long. I have a 2000 S3 and have not had any issues with it...

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
that point is well taken
the VRF is certainly a first-class ride... though the newer ones don't float my boat like the ones from years past

honestly....
the most important thing is buying a new bike is finding one that you will like months from now (as was said about the "Brutale Jones").

i'd be shocked if you'd really love the Brutale for long, not having ridden before
the twitchy throttle... the harsh suspension... the knife-like responsiveness....
all that WE love about the bike probably doesn't make it the typical cup-of-tea for a novice

once again..... i... in fact, NONE OF US here are trying to offend you in any way
we're THRILLED you like MV...
you have GOOD taste

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
DO NOT start with a Brutale, and the comments about the 750 are a bit off, it's as fast as the 910, but it makes its power in a different way, both are unforgiving to someone without experience.
This has nothing to do with age or responsibility or driving record, etc. It is about experience, and if it is your first bike you just don't have enough.

Look for beginner friendly bikes like Suzuki SV650, Kawasaki ER-6, Ninja 500 of 250, or a small dual sport bike.

BTW, welcome, and when you're ready for an MV we'll love to see pics and hear your experience, we all just hate to hear stories of crashing and worst, injuries.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Fazer6 and others are spot on--do not start on a brute. Why buy a Stradivarius when you can only scratch out 'Twinkle, twinkle little star'?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I agree. Not the Brutale as first bike. :bawling:
Why not the nice Raptor 650. It has the famous suzuki twin 650 engine, very nice frame and has respectable performances. You can compare it with the Ducati S2R 800. I don't know the price in the US but it should be about $7000.
Also, you ride different with this Cagiva (MV Agusta group) but check that you have a dealer around your home.
Keep this Raptor in your mind. Think about it. :stickpoke
Test ride it and I am sure you will like it :ahhh:

·
Registered
735 Posts
not as a 1st bike, try a Ducati Monster <800

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'd agree. Not really a first bike. :(

I've got the 750 and I think it's a sharp as the sharpest sharp thing. :jsm:

·
Registered
798 Posts
As your first bike, chances are high that the bike will get dumped.
I dumped my first bike simply by letting it sit in the sun all day parked on its side stand on blacktop.
Get some miles under your belt, then go for it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
“ricster” Beautiful bike, wrong choice!
Here’s an analogy that comes to mind every time I hear a first time rider ask this same question.
You just spent a day learning to ski on the Bunny Hill rope-tow. You know the basics of turning and stopping and now you think you are ready to take the Chair to the top of the mountain and come down the advanced skier’s sloop! (not a good idea!)
No MSF instructor in his right mind would suggest a Brutale would be a good starter bike; neither are any high performance motorcycles including 600cc Super Sports. These motorcycles are much too responsive. You may very likely find yourself in situations where you have underestimated the power and quickness of any of these bikes while overestimating your skills to recover and control the bike. Age and maturity can play a part but more importantly is having the skills and riding experience to control the machine and know your limitations.
I started my 25 year old son on a Kawasaki 440 LTD and a year later he bought a 2003 new Suzuki SV 650-S. The Kawasaki was very forgiving and allowed him to become familiar with motorcycle riding in general. The Suzuki has given him the opportunity to sharpen his riding skills and he’s become a very competent rider. Three years on the Suzuki and he’s ready to move up. He’s also a service technician at a Honda/Suzuki Dealership and he test rides everything he works on from off road to street Hayabusa’s. The bike on his wish list is a new GSX 600. Had I put him on a 600 four years ago I don’t think he would be as good a rider as he is today, if he lived through it.
One motorcycle that is always mentioned as a great first bike is the Suzuki naked SV 650.

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
desmolight said:
I agree. Not the Brutale as first bike. :bawling:
Why not the nice Raptor 650. It has the famous suzuki twin 650 engine, very nice frame and has respectable performances. You can compare it with the Ducati S2R 800. I don't know the price in the US but it should be about $7000.
Also, you ride different with this Cagiva (MV Agusta group) but check that you have a dealer around your home.
Keep this Raptor in your mind. Think about it. :stickpoke
Test ride it and I am sure you will like it :ahhh:
I wish these were available in the US, I would have had one years ago, but alas we get NO Cagivas.

But, the Ducati Monster 600 range (620-new695) would be a good choise too, and you could still ride Italian.

·
Registered
798 Posts
fazer6 said:
I wish these were available in the US, I would have had one years ago, but alas we get NO Cagivas.

But, the Ducati Monster 600 range (620-new695) would be a good choise too, and you could still ride Italian.
Yep, I agree that the Monster 620 is a great first bike. My wife just passed the MSF course and we are looking to get her a used one.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Listen to the good advice about the Monster 620 or the new 695. :stickpoke W

I have ridden the small Monsters - and you will have a avsome bike. It´s italian, italian ride experience, its a cool bike and far better style than the japanese alternatives. And you will have more fun n theese to begin with that the Brutale. :violin: But its true :violin: :violin:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts