MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gday from Psycho in Oz! Riding Yam R1 now, seriously considering brutale 1090. Such an amazing looking bike, I have concerns about quality, longevity any issues with MV's in general compared to jap bikes. I'm into sports riding and trackdays. Thanks.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Not a one word answer.

Don't be concerned about quality. It is second to none.

Longevity. Whose? I think the 1090 is absurdly fast and you might not last long on it. I hope that is not the case.

There are no issues with MVs in general compared to jap bikes except they are quite a bit nicer.

For track days you may be more comfortable on an F4.

Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
112 Posts
It's an Italian bike so expect some issues. Not sure what they'll be, but you'll run into something eventually ... I guarantee it.

That said, I'd rather have issues with an Italian bike than a Japanese bike because when I'm not having issues I'd rather have the Italian bike.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks 4 the quick replies, pretty much what i expected, I was a bit concerned with the old "it's Italian" reliability stuff but it seems they're getting better. Jap bikes just don't have "issues", prefer ridin' to fixin' Looks like it's the 1090 then, can't wait til they get here! great forum btw.

·
Administrator
20,383 Posts
I will attest to the MV reliability question.......As far as my experience with my 2008 910R., it is every bit as reliable as any Japanese product, and it is way easier to maintain then many.....

The major difference being that a Japanese product may absorb more neglect before it expires...but anyone buying an MV is not as likely to be neglecting, or abusing, their bike as the 20 year old squid or urban stunta.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
At my local dealer there,s a 910 S with 30000km on it :stickpoke
Always worked without a single prob the dealer says :)

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
pyscho rode R1's m8 i got the 910r brute much better bike than the yam reliability is awsome now it did have a few probs but mv have sorted it out
from reports they have refined the 1090 so for me i will prob stay with the 910 or get the 1078

·
Registered
33 Posts
na mate, save yerself some money n get a 1078 (brutale)- mite not be as 'fast' as n R1 (or as 'nice' as a 1090) but it sure will FEEL a LOT quicker and be MUCH more fun! Thats what its all about innit? :yo:

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
na mate, save yerself some money n get a 1078 (brutale)- mite not be as 'fast' as n R1 (or as 'nice' as a 1090) but it sure will FEEL a LOT quicker and be MUCH more fun! Thats what its all about innit? :yo:
+1

Being a "Brutale" owner, absolutely...however, it $$$ were not an key concern....I'd have both :brutale: :f4:

I firmy believe that MV's (whilst Motorcycle Art), are there to be ridden as often as you can and improve the more you ride them.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
If you are into track days, go and get a F4.
If you want a Bruti, think about tht 990. For me better loocking (because of the Starwheels and the paintscheme), some bucks cheaper and more than enough performance for most people.

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
Hey Neil,
I don't entirely disagree with you ...but would state that my Brutale is incredibly reliable. It is true that as an earlier series Brutale it did suffer from the infamous SPU problem. But I would point out that in a large proportion of cases things tend to go wrong when people start modifying them.

I would subsribe to the 'if it aint broke, don't fix-it theory' for MV's. A later model stock MV (F4 or Brutale) 'appears' to perform flawlessly when they're left stock. (carbonisation obviously excluded :) )

Headlight cover - yes a few
Stalling/running rough - yes, true...but it seems the majority of those were due to exhaust/ECU mods
SPU - electonrics, yes an early series problem that if encountered were covered under warranty.

There are ZEN masters on this forum (CAG, Ed, JDS, Randy, Castle etc) who's experience and knowledge far outway my humble opinion but I would offer a simple view:

The MV's are truly a special machine (dumb statement on this forum) and whilst they may have suffered from the odd idiosyncrantic issue, each series gets better. I don't intend to modfiy any engine/exhaust components on my current and future MV's...but I do intend to ride them often for in my case....she runs better and better the more she's on the road or track.

As to Brutale or Not - beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder

Cheers
Tim

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
Oh Shit Neil,

...this is your drama thread -

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16331&goto=newpost

Man...I'm absolutely gutted for you. I was following that thread with interest. Frankly - I admire the tone and diligence. And absolutely support your approach should people encounter an 'out of the box' problem. I know MV have something to answer for.

Unfortunately we do trust our Dealers/workshop to do the right thing and provide us with the right guidance - I don't know the answer apart from perhaps using the site for references which is quite often done

Sorry bud - feel for you

cheers
Tim

·
Registered
876 Posts
I have been afraid to read the "cutting out" thread, don't want to worry about mine. It's too big to start now. I wonder, has anyone tried to solve the problem with a Microtech ECU?

I want to try one but I don't want to trade a fully functional bike for a headache. Haven't removed the cat for the same reason. Words cannot express the anger/disappointment I would feel if I had neilacarter's problem. I feel for you dude.

Best money ever spent on toy though, so far....

·
Registered
876 Posts
I've had no such problems to date. I didn't mean to imply Microtech was a solution or a problem. It just seems to me if authorized MV representatives and mechanics can't find the problem it is not likely to be mechanical in nature. Wouldn't that make electronics the most likely culprit?

I'm out of warranty now and after 2.5 years I am thinking it might be time to change it up a bit. Performance, appearance, I don't know, something. But most of all I want it to continue to start and run till I get back home. I prefer long trips to local rides and can't afford to be stranded 200 miles from home. When I can't trust her anymore it's time for her to go. (Same goes for the bike)
:)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Gettin' cold feet now!

Maybe I'll just stick with my trusty R1, thanx for the replies. Might just admire the MV's from afar.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts